Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a genuine Hyundai roof rack for the 2022 Tucson with the sun roof. The package includes printed installation instructions for vehicles with and without the sun roof. The only difference according to the instructions is in the position of the mounting brackets to allow the sun roof to slide freely. Otherwise, the process is the same.
The printed instructions tell you to torque the mounting bracket bolts to 6N.m or 53 lbf, which is an insane amount of torque for 6M1.0 bolts of grade 8.8. Following the instructions, while trying to tighten the bolts, the bolt failed and I had to find a replacement. See the pics.
Interestingly enough the package with the crossbars included a QR code to the online version of the installation instructions which said to torque the bolts on one side to about 26 lb-ft and on the other to 53 lbf. Though all bolts are the same and even 26 lbf is way too much for these bolts.
I wonder if others installed genuine Hyndai crossbars and what torque did you use to secure the rack?

Motor vehicle Font Automotive design Automotive wheel system Audio equipment

Product Font Motor vehicle Audio equipment Engineering

White Font Line Rectangle Parallel

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
783 Posts
Oh, my... I just realized that it's lbf-in rather than lbf-ft torque 🤦‍♂️. Seems like the user's mistake :(.
Beat me to it. That was my question. Your initial instincts were correct that would be an insane torque for that bolt.

·
Registered
Limited PHEV, Quartz White with grey interior
304 Posts
But.............

The Hyundai roof racks are made by Thule. (And cost half as much.) The instructions for the Thule Wingbar call for 4 Nm of torque, and the Thule kits come with a little torque tool that automatically ratchets at 4 Nm. Thule doesn't make a 6 Nm torque tool. I have a query into Thule to try and find out if a 6 Nm tool is available or if the 6 Nm spec is possibly wrong. So far no response.

·
Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
492 Posts
What is 50 inch pounds converted to foot-pounds?

Inch-pounds to foot-pounds chart
in-lbft-lb

Pretty understandable error. No harm, no foul.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Limited PHEV Amazon Gray / Black. 2022 Tucson SEL PHEV Shimmering Silver / Gray
183 Posts
Oh, my... I just realized that it's lbf-in rather than lbf-ft torque 🤦‍♂️. Seems like the user's mistake :(.
Personally 8 would use the feel torque method on that installation. I would make them tight but not too tight.

·
Registered
Limited PHEV, Quartz White with grey interior
304 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I tighten the bolts until the feel tight using my hands and the provided allen key. A quick test to shake the rack to make sure it is firmly attached to car when done. BTW I do not leave my roof racks on the car when not using them. They are very easy to put on and take off so I keep them off most of the time (quieter ride with the sunroof open.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts