Hyundai Tucson Forum banner

2022 Hyundai Tucson Vehicle Settings

41K views 52 replies 27 participants last post by  lettinggo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all. Brand new forum member here. I've reserved an Amazon Grey 2022 Tucson Ultimate Hybrid (Canada), and it's forecasted to arrive at the dealer in early June 2021.
For those who already own/drive a 2022 Tucson, is there a setting option in Vehicle Settings that's called "Walk Away Lock"? This setting is available (in certain markets) on the 2021 Palisade, and I'm wondering if it's available on the 2022 Tucson for North America. Note that I'm unable to find/download the Infotainment Manual from online sources for the 2022 Tucson.
Thanks, Richard

#2 ·
I have the Tucson Hybrid Limited version in the US and I did not see that Walk-away Lock feature. There is a feature that can be set to Lock upon moving the gear selector from Park to any drive mode. Theoretically, the Walk-away feature could be added as a software update, but I wouldn't count on it since it wouldn't then match their already printed owners manual. Hopefully, Hyundai & other mfgrs catch up to Tesla with the ability to add features on the fly without boxing themselves in with a printed user manual.

#45 ·
apparently they had a few years ago too many people complained about it every time they're washing their car or walking around their car the button would click on and off so they just didcontinued it.My wife had it on her mazda and loved it,
She will be missing it on he new 2022 Tucon

#3 ·
@Crow, thanks for your reply. I'm guessing the Walk-Away Lock feature is a Settings option only available in certain markets, with North America not being one of them. There may be an OBD2 Reader/Scanner "hack" for this (i.e. to gain access to an otherwise hidden menu) which I'll need to investigate. ;)
By the way... how are you liking your Tucson Hybrid Limited so far? All good? Any complaints/negatives?
Also.. did your Tucson come with an Infotainment Manual? I just want to confirm that one exists!

#4 · (Edited)
I like it. There's more to like than dislike and it's a significant cut above the Rav4 and CR-V, and this comes from a guy who has owned Toyotas for 40 years. Here are some of the things I like:

• Sport Driving Mode
  • Excellent interior design
  • Excellent Display Screens
  • Excellent Cameras
  • Birdseye View
  • Lane change cluster display when using blinker
  • Smooth and Quiet Ride
  • Little highway road noise
  • EV-like operation under 25mph
  • Tesla-like short bursts when you need it
  • Homelink transmits a long distance
  • Excellent visibility
  • Excellent BT phone capability
  • Heated/cooled seats
  • Heated Steering wheel
  • Infotainment response (touch buttons better than expected)
  • Seat comfort & arm support
  • Rear seat comfort is excellent
  • Lock down rear seatbacks when in cargo mode
  • Passenger seat full electric range functionality
  • Comfortable front seats
  • Smart Cruise control (is well done but not perfect)
  • Bose Sound System (not great but very good)
  • Hidden Storage
  • Heated rear seats
  • Paddle shifters
  • Excellent sunroof
  • Digital Key (phone)
  • Digital Key (card)
  • Very good Turning Radius
  • Piano black finish on center stack (didn't think I would like this but after 2 mo of having it, I do and touch controls work well and it's easy to keep clean because of no physical buttons).

Things I don't like so far:
  • The artificial noise ( VESS ) produced when driving in Reverse; quite obnoxious & embarrassing and can't be turned off or lowered. Apparently mandated in the US by the NTSB (or similar agency).
  • The Integrated Memory System (aka, Memory Seat button) only applies to the Driver Seat Position and does not integrate the outside mirrors (hard to understand this one).
  • No Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto (requires USB cable on higher end trim levels).
  • Only one USB port (the one closest to the driver) serves Android Auto, CarPlay, and USB stored Music. That means if two drivers use Android Auto and CarPlay respectively, it can be a bit annoying having to swap cables. Further, you can't listen to music on a USB stick unless it's plugged into the same port, meaning no AA or CarPlay while listening to that mode of music. This is a significant oversight on Hyundai's part.
  • No sunglasses holder.
  • No firmware wireless update capability (only downloaded files installed using old school USB).
  • No spare tire even though there's room for a donut if desired.
  • The lack of USB-C ports, the standard the industry is moving toward (this is minor).
  • Digital Key Card one-card limitation. Why?
  • Homelink garage door buttons require key in ON position. It's a safety feature but not everyone needs that level of safety. Maybe make this an option.
  • Digital Key "Phone" not yet supported by Apple's iOS (an Apple issue that may be resolved soon).
  • No Profile setting for Default Drive Mode. It always defaults to Eco Mode when vehicle is started.
  • Most cluster Themes lack a "digital speed" in the center of the analog speedometer as is done on the 2020 Sonata. Currently, only the Cube theme offers a digital display. Note, a digital speed can be displayed on the center of the cluster, but you lose other valuable info that could be displayed instead, like a compass or tire pressure monitor.
  • Cluster lacks "Current Outdoor Temperature" display.
I'm sure I'll have more opinions with more experience with the Tucson. Again, I like it and glad we bought it. It's just not perfect and then again, no car is. Look forward to your delivery, I think you'll like yours too.

#8 ·
I like it. There's more to like than dislike and it's a significant cut above the Rav4 and CR-V, and this comes from a guy who has owned Toyotas for 40 years. Here are some of the things I like:

• Sport Driving Mode
  • Excellent Display Screens
  • Excellent Cameras
  • Birdseye View
  • Lane change cluster display when using blinker
  • Smooth and Quiet Ride
  • Little highway road noise
  • EV-like operation under 25mph
  • Tesla-like short bursts when you need it
  • Homelink transmits a long distance
  • Excellent visibility
  • Excellent BT phone capability
  • Heated/cooled seats
  • Heated Steering wheel
  • Infotainment response (touch buttons better than expected)
  • Seat comfort & arm support
  • Rear seat comfort is excellent
  • Passenger seat full electric range functionality
  • Comfortable front seats
  • Smart Cruise control (although frustrating at times)
  • Bose Sound System (not great but very good)
  • Hidden Storage
  • Heated rear seats
  • Paddle shifters
  • Excellent sunroof

Things I don't like so far:
  • The artificial noise produced when driving in Reverse; quite obnoxious & embarrassing and can't be turned off or lowered. Apparently mandated in the US by the NTSB (or similar agency).
  • No Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
  • Memory Seat button does not control mirrors (this appears to be a defect in my vehicle)
  • Two Press Door Unlock feature does not work on my vehicle, again it appears to be a defect on my vehicle.
  • No sunglasses holder
  • No firmware wireless update capability (only downloaded files installed using old school USB)
  • Frustrating Smart Cruise Control that sometimes works then doesn't (could be my own inexperience, will update later).
  • No spare tire even though there's room for a donut if desired.
  • Dust magnet piano black center stack (after two days it already looks bad, especially with the pollen we have on the East Coast of the US.
  • The lack of USB-C ports, the standard the industry is moving toward (this is minor)
  • Cluster display use of icons, unfortunately I can't understand what most mean (written words in the selected language would have been better IMO).
  • The Menu system is extensive and deep. Although you'll ultimately figure the features out, Hyundai could have spent more time making the explanations more intuitive.

I'm sure I'll have more opinions with more experience with the Tucson. Again, I like it and glad we bought it. It's just not perfect and then again, no car is. Look forward to your delivery, I think you'll like yours too.
** I have a red 2022 limited and I can tell you that mine came with a spare tire (full size)
** Once I understood my cruise it wasn't any different that my previous cars, just a little frustrating until I understood it
** I don't think the memory seats are supposed to control the mirrors (at least in the non-hybrid).

#5 ·
@Crow, what a great detailed reply! Thanks! (y)
None of the items on your "Don't like so far" list has me too concerned.. and your "Like" list is extensive and impressive! Note that I provided comment in the other thread regarding your dislike items 3 and 4 (i.e. memory system and door unlocking).
I test-drove a Tucson Hybrid a few weeks ago and didn't notice it emitted any artificial noise when driving in Reverse, so that might be something mandated in the U.S. only? Not sure - maybe some Canadian owners can chime in on this.
Enjoy your new Tucson Hybrid Limited - thanks again!
Cheers Richard

#11 ·
Each Profile (up to three total) allows the storage of two Memory Seat positions (for a total of up to six memorized driver seat positions). This means the Memory Seat buttons are dependent on the Profile currently in use.

In your example, if Seat Position 2 corresponding to Driver 1 was not set and you pressed that button, nothing would happen. If you change the Profile to Driver 2 and pressed the Seat Position 2 button, it would recall that driver seat position if it had been previously set.

If this is confusing, just remember to set up the User Profiles before attempting to establish the settings for each user. Memory Seat settings correspond to the User Profile (like all other settings) and are not independent. If you have two User Profiles, each user gets two Memory Seat Positions. In this case, you can duplicate the Memory Seat positions for each Profile so that Driver 1 always uses Memory Seat 1 and Driver 2 always uses Memory Seat 2. Just note, I don't think there's a way to copy the seat position from one Profile to another.

If you use only one User Profile and two drivers, then simply pick one Memory Seat button for each driver.

#20 ·
Hi, enjoyed your list, I would add the ability of adjusting sport mode screen with a tach is a nice touch. I'm still trying to figure out the nav system, meeting with my sales rep to learn about the tire inflator kit and other features.

Was the software update easy to install?

#21 ·
^ Hi Trevor,
As info.. I did the April 2021 Nav + system software update a few days ago. I found everything went well. It took me less than 45 minutes to download the update files into my USB flash drive. While the car was being updated I went for a drive - within about 30 minutes I saw that the update had completed, all good. I have no complaints about the process.
I haven't completely figured out the Nav system yet, but I've learned a few things. For example, you can enter a destination "hands-free" using the voice recognition feature. The voice recognition button is on the left side of the steering wheel. When you press the button, wait for the prompt and then say "Navigation". Wait for the next prompt and then say "Find Address". You'll see on the Infotainment screen that the Nav system has popped up and the destination entry field defaults to the current province/state your vehicle is in. You will now be prompted to say the address (street number, street name, city).
Hope this helps. Let us know how your visit to the dealer went!
- Richard

#29 ·
Make sure the USB drive is in the left most USB slot. When music is playing from the drive tough where it says List on the upper right area of the screen. It should then show the album name or other folder name you have set up. You will see a folder icon with an arrow pointing up. Touch that icon and you will move up a folder. Continue pressing the folder up icon to return to the root directory. From there you will be able to navigate the drive. Hope this helps.

#36 ·
Two things to clarify from my testing/experience:
  1. the Tucson memory buttons ONLY save/recall the driver's seat position, NOT the external mirrors (as most other cars do); this was prominently advertised in Hyundai's promotional literature
  2. the Tucson does NOT differentiate between the various key fobs - it simply queries whether or not any "accepted" key fob is in the vehicle. For example, it does NOT suggest or remember the the last driver profile used by a particular key fob ID.

#37 ·
Hi! I have an 2022 Hyundai Tuscon Limited and it does have that feature. If I accidently forget to lock my car as soon as I am out of distance range the doors will lock automatically. By the way I have had my Car since August and I absolutely love everything about it!!

#44 · (Edited)
In the old days, before they idiot-proofed everything, you could crank your manual shift car in gear without depressing the clutch. The car would lurch forward from the starter battery power, the engine would fire and you were on your way. Not healthy for the low powered starter motor and flywheel gears but if you had a bad slave cylinder of clutch cable you could get by until you made your repair. That is basically how the mild hybrid works. There is no electric traction motor per se. Your starter generator gets your car going when you step on the pedal, and that's about all the drive power you get from that tiny motor. It's other function is as an electric generator and regenerative braking device. The biggest way it helps fuel economy is when you stop, the gas engine turns off, and it allows for a smoother restart than a regular starter. When I first started researching Hyundai"s hybrid system I didn't understand the difference between mild hybrid and full hybrid. I agree with you I don't think the mild hybrid system that Hyundai produces was worth their effort. This is the system Hyundai uses in their full hybrid.

#53 ·
I also have to say, that the stereo in my 2022 limited, is not near the sound that my 2020 ultimate was. it was an infinity and was one of the best stereos I've ever had in a car. the depth and range of sound is really disappointing. all this money for a vehicle and the most basic need, to play music and enjoy it, the botched up,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.