Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Ultimate Hybrid
22 Posts
I'm not experiencing any engine pinging in my '22 Tucson Ultimate (Limited) Hybrid. I use 87 octane gasoline which I typically buy at the Costco (Canada) gas station nearby where I live.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The Turbo 1.6 liter engine uses a very light grade of oil, which should be changed very often - but even that may not be enough for this engine. The highest octane fuel might be necessary to prevent pinging when working hard. It's s shame if this is the case.
91 Octane made no difference in my case.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On several occasions, I have noticed the 1.6T engine will significantly ping (a rattling-tin-can-like sound coming from the engine).

This condition is reproducible and ONLY occurs when the vehicle has been driven for a significant amount of time on a long distance trip (say, 50 mi or more) where the engine is allowed to reach normal operating temperature AND the vehicle is subsequently shut off for a short period of 10-30 minutes (about the time for a typical store visit). After restarting the vehicle and beginning to drive after that short period is when the noticeable pinging begins (I'll call this the "second drive").

It's as if a sensor or computer module is misinterpreting engine conditions during that "second drive" described above and not calculating the correct air/fuel mixture. When the pinging is experienced, it is quite noticeable and I have tried different drive modes and increasing the RPMs using the paddle shifters with no improvement. I have also tried pulling over and restarting the vehicle, and again with the same pinging outcome. Of course in EV mode, this condition doesn't apply.

If the Tucson Hybrid is allowed to completely cool down, it drives normally again (no engine pinging).

After some research, others describe having had the same experience with the 1.6 Turbo engine as far back as 2012. The vehicle is not throwing any codes based on my scan tool, but it's possible the vehicle is too new for my scanner.

If anyone else notices a similar condition on the Tucson Hybrid, please report here. My concern taking this to a dealership at this point is that it's challenging for a service center to reproduce because of the time it takes, and, I don't want to hear, "we couldn't reproduce the scenario". If enough others are experiencing the same, it demonstrates a systematic problem. Otherwise, it could be an isolated problem on my vehicle that just needs to be addressed.
I just bought a 2022 Tuscon turbo blue trim and starting to have the same problem. I found this forum searching to see if anyone else was having this issue. I only have 2000 miles and I am so frustrated and disgusted with this. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow to complain about this. I hope that Hyundai addresses this issue. I have been driving Toyotas and Subarus for years and seriously considering going back. This was my first Hyundai. I will be watching for your comments and will report mine as soon as I find something out. Thanks for posting this issue,

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have 2,000 mi on ours and the 1.6T engine now consistently leans out (pinging) between 2500-3000 rpm. It started all of a sudden at around 1,000 mi., as if a sensor has gone bad. My dealer couldn't find the problem. Keep us posted if you find a resolution.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just wanted to let others know that a Hyundai caseworker reached out to me regarding this issue and is getting Hyundai's "Tech Team" involved. They are saying no one else has logged a complaint directly to Hyundai that they're aware of (I did using the MyHyundai app's messaging feature). To their credit, Hyundai seems genuinely interested in getting to the bottom of the issue. I'll post updates.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hyundai's Tech Team worked with my dealership and had me drive the Tucson Hybrid to recreate the symptoms while Hyundai's scan tool was connected. Once again, no codes were thrown during the test drive and although they acknowledge the engine rattling noise between 2500-3000 rpm while the engine is under a load, Hyundai's position is that they don't believe the issue is serious enough to warrant further investigation, the sound is within the normal parameters, and according to Hyundai (not the dealership), they have no other customer complaints re this issue.

As I've stated before, this condition began for me on Jun 20th at around 6pm and has persisted ever since. I've driven another Tucson Hybrid to compare and that drove normally. So, I do agree it's not likely a catastrophic event waiting to happen. It's just when you pay $40k for a vehicle, you want it to perform as expected.

So unless and until Hyundai receives further related complaints, the case is dormant.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm thinking of moving up to the hybrid from the 2.5 engine that I currently have, now this pinging has me concerned. Would someone look in their owners manual to check when the sparkplugs should be replaced on the 1.6 engine.
Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'm thinking of moving up to the hybrid from the 2.5 engine that I currently have, now this pinging has me concerned. Would someone look in their owners manual to check when the sparkplugs should be replaced on the 1.6 engine.
Thanks
Spark Plugs recommended every 46k mi. As for engine issue, it continues to persist despite being at the dealer multiple times. No error codes -> no diagnosis.

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Blue "Deep Sea". So basically, I drive a Blue Blue. lol
10 Posts
New owner here on the Oregon Coast ('Deep Sea' Hybrid Blue level), after reviewing this thread I am curious what level Hybrid people experiencing this issue own: Blue, SEL, or Limited?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Limited in my case, but, I believe they all use the same drivetrain and 1.6T engine. The engine is quite complex and there's a guy on YouTube that explains the valve timing and duration associated with it. I have no idea if there's a correlation to the associated problems reported, but it's an interesting technical evaluation of the advanced features packed into this small engine.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts