Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have a Hybrid 2022 model. I'm an Android user, and after getting the car, I felt Android Auto was very laggy, buggy, slow, to connect takes like 7 seconds, frequent disconnection during the usage.
After trying CarPlay with my company iPhone, I can tell you that the problem is Android here. CarPlay was the opposite.

I have a Samsung S8+, you can tell that it is an old model, but I tried others cars before (one from Peugeot that even works through wireless with no problem at all.)
It might be Android but on the phone end or the car head unit end?

This same phone had NO ISSUES in my previous 2013 Sonata hybrid (which didn't use AA). I have written to Hyundai with a complaint about the Tucson (but no reply in 2 days)....I should NOT be going backwards in usability with a 2022 model year car. The firmware in the Tucson has a 2021/04 date on it. With the amount of complaints about the Android implementation that you can find on the web, I am surprised that there has NOT been a firmware upgrade for the Tucson yet.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I could believe that is the Android Auto interface that is not correct. BUT, which end? The phone or the car?

This same phone worked in my 2013 Sonata Hybrid (not Android Auto) for about 18 months or so BEFORE I got the Tucson and works "most" of the time in the Tucson. Oddly enough there are multiple places around town that BT Audio disconnects when driving through (but NOT always). However, if I am using navigation (which happens through the phone) when BT Audio disconnects then I have no audio directions and it is about 4 button pushes to get it back again. IF BT Audio connects automatically when I start the car then WHY does BT reconnect automatically after it disconnects? When these disconnects happen, it reconnects almost immediately when done manually..

So, I could believe that it IS the car end that is at fault.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Totally agree, I was afraid to write Hyundai and got an answer like: it's your old phone, or cable.

I have not issues with BT at all, I'll get my software version and post here later, maybe is a car end issue.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks Jack. I have tried 3 different cables. The original Samsung cable, a 3' Anker cable (Anker being very well regarded for their stuff) and an 8" cable (looking very much like an Anker cable). The 2021/04 date (according to my local dealer) is the current firmware version, so I would be very interested if yours is a later version.

I believe that I should NOT have to buy a new phone just to test Hyundai's theory out. Even if I did, how would I know whether that phone would be "acceptable"? I can't even check phone compatibility on the Hyundai website as they don't even list 2022 model year in their web pages for checking this.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks Jack. I have tried 3 different cables. The original Samsung cable, a 3' Anker cable (Anker being very well regarded for their stuff) and an 8" cable (looking very much like an Anker cable). The 2021/04 date (according to my local dealer) is the current firmware version, so I would be very interested if yours is a later version.

I believe that I should NOT have to buy a new phone just to test Hyundai's theory out. Even if I did, how would I know whether that phone would be "acceptable"? I can't even check phone compatibility on the Hyundai website as they don't even list 2022 model year in their web pages for checking this.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The Hyundai BlueLink folks (this is who Hyundai USA suggested calling) really didn't help much other than to organize another service visit to my local Hyundai dealership - maybe with knowing that Hyundai USA made the appointment.

Just went on a ride with the tech from my local Hyundai dealership. He saw where my phone disconnected BT audio. However the BlueTooth icon still showed on the car's head unit (these two two things seem to contradict each other).

He did tell me that the 2022 Tucson does NOT use wired connections AT ALL for BT. The USB jacks are used for charging cell phones ONLY. So, all phone connections, according to this service tech are WIRELESS.

He then plugged his phone in (Apple and using CarPlay) and his phone did NOT disconnect from BT Audio at all during our drive and certainly NOT in the same places that my phone did BT Audio disconnected. His phone uses 5G, my phone does NOT (I use Cricket as a cell provider which is a subsidiary of AT&T)..

So, it appears that I am in for a new 5G cell phone (whether with Cricket or another provider...I don't know).

He also stated that "new" cell phones have no issues communicating with older car head units BUT that older phones can have problems with new car head units.My phone is now about 18 months old from when I bought it but obviously made BEFORE then.

He also said that the Hyundai website where you can see a list of "compatible" phones (according to Hyundai) that you can use 2021 model year and the Tucson to see the list (as 2022 is not an option on the website page) - see:

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The Hyundai BlueLink folks (this is who Hyundai USA suggested calling) really didn't help much other than to organize another service visit to my local Hyundai dealership - maybe with knowing that Hyundai USA made the appointment.

Just went on a ride with the tech from my local Hyundai dealership. He saw where my phone disconnected BT audio. However the BlueTooth icon still showed on the car's head unit (these two two things seem to contradict each other).

He did tell me that the 2022 Tucson does NOT use wired connections AT ALL for BT. The USB jacks are used for charging cell phones ONLY. So, all phone connections, according to this service tech are WIRELESS.

He then plugged his phone in (Apple and using CarPlay) and his phone did NOT disconnect from BT Audio at all during our drive and certainly NOT in the same places that my phone did BT Audio disconnected. His phone uses 5G, my phone does NOT (I use Cricket as a cell provider which is a subsidiary of AT&T)..

So, it appears that I am in for a new 5G cell phone (whether with Cricket or another provider...I don't know).

He also stated that "new" cell phones have no issues communicating with older car head units BUT that older phones can have problems with new car head units.My phone is now about 18 months old from when I bought it but obviously made BEFORE then.

He also said that the Hyundai website where you can see a list of "compatible" phones (according to Hyundai) that you can use 2021 model year and the Tucson to see the list (as 2022 is not an option on the website page) - see:

BTW, when you go to the Hyundai page for BT compatibility check and key in 2021/Tucson then select your cell carrier...you can see a list of "compatible" phones. Then, you have to select one at a time to see "how" compatible each phone is. That is when you see most phones that I looked as being "partially compatible" and another list of which parts of the phone are or are not compatible. This gets to be really tedious and then you have to try and match the model numbers in the Hyundai list to the numbers that your cell carrier calls the phones. In essence, it is a real crapshoot.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I took my son's new Motorola Edge (not the edge+) out in the Tucson today. It disconnected just once where my existing Samsung A10E would have disconnected much more than that (at least 6 times). So, looks like a new phone and maybe carrier is in the works. The Hyundai service tech explained it this way:

New cars work not so well with older phones
Older cars work much better with new phones (I guess the newer phones being like a superset of earlier phone models).

He thought and t makes sense that the BT capability in phones is implemented in hardware...so older phones means older BT hardware.

Hope this helps others?

·
Registered
'22 SEL +Convenience +Premium in Intense Blue
25 Posts
That Samsung you noted has Bluetooth 5, and the edge has 5.2

Honestly I'd be surprised that any Bluetooth 5 device would have issues but Bluetooth is a notoriously picky standard.

I take delivery of my car this week and my Pixel 5 only has the 5.0 spec Bluetooth. Will be interesting to see if I have issues

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
That Samsung you noted has Bluetooth 5, and the edge has 5.2

Honestly I'd be surprised that any Bluetooth 5 device would have issues but Bluetooth is a notoriously picky standard.

I take delivery of my car this week and my Pixel 5 only has the 5.0 spec Bluetooth. Will be interesting to see if I have issues

Between the Bluetooth developers and the android auto developers, they really have not done a very good job imho. Where do you see the BT version in android phones?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Between the Bluetooth developers and the android auto developers, they really have not done a very good job imho. Where do you see the BT version in android phones?
Honestly I just Google it, gsmarena usually has good info like that

I remember reading Google tried to rewrite the Bluetooth software from scratch in their ChromeOS and it just caused more issues. Each hardware vendor has implemented it in slightly different ways over the years. That's one advantage of Apple, they know exactly which Bluetooth chip sets were used and can tune the software stack to work reliably on them. Too many variables with Android

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Honestly I just Google it, gsmarena usually has good info like that

I remember reading Google tried to rewrite the Bluetooth software from scratch in their ChromeOS and it just caused more issues. Each hardware vendor has implemented it in slightly different ways over the years. That's one advantage of Apple, they know exactly which Bluetooth chip sets were used and can tune the software stack to work reliably on them. Too many variables with Android

Agree with your Apple comment. I’m not sure that I want to switch from android to Apple for the phone. A few too many unknowns for me. Does the calendar app I use work on the Apple phones. I sync address book, contacts, appointments from my PC via gmail to the phone. Does that work on the Apple phone? I might just trade a BT problem for something worse. 😬

·
Registered
25 Posts
Agree with your Apple comment. I’m not sure that I want to switch from android to Apple for the phone. A few too many unknowns for me. Does the calendar app I use work on the Apple phones. I sync address book, contacts, appointments from my PC via gmail to the phone. Does that work on the Apple phone? I might just trade a BT problem for something worse.
I'm so invested in android, I'd buy another android to fix it before switching to Apple too.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Agree with your Apple comment. I’m not sure that I want to switch from android to Apple for the phone. A few too many unknowns for me. Does the calendar app I use work on the Apple phones. I sync address book, contacts, appointments from my PC via gmail to the phone. Does that work on the Apple phone? I might just trade a BT problem for something worse. 😬
BTW, the phones I am looking at to replace the Samsung A10E are:
Motorola Edge
Google Pixel 6
Pixel 6 Pro

the 6 has v5.1, the pro has v5.2 and the Edge Has v5.1. ThNks for the gsmarena tip. I have been there before but didn’t realize they had the full specs for many phones.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not sure if this has been asked, have you downloaded the latest version of AA? There is a new one that is called like AA for phone screens. If you have not downloaded that app, you may want to try it. I have a Galaxy Z Flip 3 5mg and had to do this for my 2019 Kona. My wife has a Galaxy S10+ and had to do that for it to work in her new 2022 Tucson. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I had NOT heard of that but apparently that app is being phased out with Android 12.

Not sure it is worth downloading this. I'll nose around the web and see what I can find.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I'm wondering why your wife need that ap for her S10+ phone? Did AA on the phone not work in the 2022 Tucson with AA? Mine works except for the various BT disconnects.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I just know that my sons new Motorola Edge only disconnected once during my test drive with it, my Samsung A10E would have disconnected at least 6 times during the same drive. Most often in the immediate driving around area where I live as I do most of my driving locally. But the times I have been on I95 it hasn’t disconnected once on my phone. On US1, I have seen it disconnect in my immediate local area also.

as far as the screen app that you mentioned, it seems that this was a temporary fix until the new software comes with Android 12.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts