Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson SEL
7 Posts
I took my Tucson in today and they said that they couldn't replicate the problem and that it was most likely the lane keep system because "I'm not using my turns signals." I definitely use them. I've already told them that it happens when both systems are off so that wouldn't make sense. I will get a video of it and try to make my dealer look into it. It really is weird how no one is looking at the standard things tho.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So today I took mine in as well for this issue and this time the service manager went out for a test drive to address my issue, this vibration from what he felt is a possibility of a slight"potential" flat spot from where the car sat on the lot from the dealership. He also had the history from the date it pass to be shipped from the Alabama plant to the date I bought it, a flat spot possibly occur within that time frame which was about a month and half. The dealership that I bought it from did balance and rotate it, he said it may have 1 or 2 tires that have a slight flat spot because I mentioned to him that it got worse after the rotation. His advice is to drive it a bit longer and hopefully that flat spot will be even with the tires.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Also the tech manager even mention that if I was not comfortable with the vibration long term he says they can road force balance the tires however that will cost me 130 dollars, of course I decline since it doesn't cover under the warranty and he did mention it will not fix the issue and not a long term solution.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I took my Tucson in today and they said that they couldn't replicate the problem and that it was most likely the lane keep system because "I'm not using my turns signals." I definitely use them. I've already told them that it happens when both systems are off so that wouldn't make sense. I will get a video of it and try to make my dealer look into it. It really is weird how no one is looking at the standard things tho.
I will set my cruise to 63 mph and wiggle the steering wheel a bit, usually sets it off. Yes, as you've probably read my previous posts.....why no standard diagnostics?!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So today I took mine in as well for this issue and this time the service manager went out for a test drive to address my issue, this vibration from what he felt is a possibility of a slight"potential" flat spot from where the car sat on the lot from the dealership. He also had the history from the date it pass to be shipped from the Alabama plant to the date I bought it, a flat spot possibly occur within that time frame which was about a month and half. The dealership that I bought it from did balance and rotate it, he said it may have 1 or 2 tires that have a slight flat spot because I mentioned to him that it got worse after the rotation. His advice is to drive it a bit longer and hopefully that flat spot will be even with the tires.
LOL! Bullshit! Its not -20 outside, and the lot driver didn't put the parking brake on and drive around the lot for 10 miles! Maybe the truck driver that delivered the car did some drifting during delivery! LOL! Complete bullshit! A flat spot makes a rhythmic roar at all speeds, I know this because I raced cars for 4 years in SCCA. I have put flatspots on tires from spin outs! This is direct negligence! Jeez!:eek:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Also the tech manager even mention that if I was not comfortable with the vibration long term he says they can road force balance the tires however that will cost me 130 dollars, of course I decline since it doesn't cover under the warranty and he did mention it will not fix the issue and not a long term solution.
Wow! What state do you live in, I'm in MN. I would print out these comments, and show him you are not alone. I have contacted hyundai consumer affairs, not that that will do anything. Been workin on cars for 45 years, Im puzzled by their methodology, makes no sense.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah I'm with you, the lane keep assist doesn't shimmy the steering wheel, it's just supposed to steer you back into the lane. The second dealership I went to told me to drive it around with certain safety features on and off as well. I've tried every combination of safety features on and off, that didn't change anything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I will set my cruise to 63 mph and wiggle the steering wheel a bit, usually sets it off. Yes, as you've probably read my previous posts.....why no standard diagnostics?!
I was able to replicate the shimmy once or twice like that too, before I had the tires rotated and replaced.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I was able to replicate the shimmy once or twice like that too, before I had the tires rotated and replaced.
So, after the rotation and balancing, the shake stopped?....if you manually tried to make it happen?

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson SEL
7 Posts
I haven't had time to do much testing, but I noticed on my way to work, that a quick turn above 60 would set it off. Like a quick jerk from one side of the lane to the other side. Like I said, didn't have much time to test tho, so idk if it will set it off Everytime. It shouldn't be up to us to find the problem tho.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So, after the rotation and balancing, the shake stopped?....if you manually tried to make it happen?
Sorry, I meant that I was able to cause the shimmy after doing a wiggle or quick jerk on the steering wheel before I had the tires rotated. I can't recall if I tried it after the rotation. It's been a few weeks since I last drove it but I'll give it a try when I get back home in a week or two. I did try it do the wiggle or quick turn with the the 2018 camry, and 2019 x5 though and nothing.. they both just drove normally.

Hmm.. now that I think about it, when I go over bumps on the highway, sometimes the steering wheel will jerk from center to 11'oclock or 1'oclock (if that makes sense), then that's when the shimmy will usually happen. The longest I've had it happen was probably15 mins. When I got off the highway, my arms felt like I just mowed the lawn for more than an hour.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson SEL
7 Posts
Sorry, I meant that I was able to cause the shimmy after doing a wiggle or quick jerk on the steering wheel before I had the tires rotated. I can't recall if I tried it after the rotation. It's been a few weeks since I last drove it but I'll give it a try when I get back home in a week or two. I did try it do the wiggle or quick turn with the the 2018 camry, and 2019 x5 though and nothing.. they both just drove normally.

Hmm.. now that I think about it, when I go over bumps on the highway, sometimes the steering wheel will jerk from center to 11'oclock or 1'oclock (if that makes sense), then that's when the shimmy will usually happen. The longest I've had it happen was probably15 mins. When I got off the highway, my arms felt like I just mowed the lawn for more than an hour.
If the jerk can be determined to cause it, maybe it will make a solution easier. I'll see if I can figure anything out

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson SEL
7 Posts
So, it's not full proof, but my little bit of testing shows that jerking the wheel, as if to avoid something in the road, will cause the wheel to shake above 60MPH about 95% of the time

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
So, it's not full proof, but my little bit of testing shows that jerking the wheel, as if to avoid something in the road, will cause the wheel to shake above 60MPH about 95% of the time
Seems to be a common denominator.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Let me start by saying I love my new Tucson SEL Convenience. Only concern is a little bit of bucking when it first starts out and I seem to occasionally smell something like transmission fluid or bearing grease. Let's not get into my ongoing issues with the Android smartphone digital key app.

With reference to your vibration, I had a new 1988 Audi 80 years back with the same problem. Went through multiple balancing's, alignments, new tires, front end checks and still the problem persisted. The Audi rep came and sat next to me while the steering wheel was shaking profusely and claimed it was "normal road handling"! They dragged things out until I could no longer qualify for the Lemon Law (watch for this). I concluded the car must have fallen off the truck at some point resulting in mechanical damage to the frame or steering. I eventually walked away from the car, it was a lease, and suffered the consequences. I hope they can resolve this issue for you because the car really is awesome! Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Let me start by saying I love my new Tucson SEL Convenience. Only concern is a little bit of bucking when it first starts out and I seem to occasionally smell something like transmission fluid or bearing grease. Let's not get into my ongoing issues with the Android smartphone digital key app.

With reference to your vibration, I had a new 1988 Audi 80 years back with the same problem. Went through multiple balancing's, alignments, new tires, front end checks and still the problem persisted. The Audi rep came and sat next to me while the steering wheel was shaking profusely and claimed it was "normal road handling"! They dragged things out until I could no longer qualify for the Lemon Law (watch for this). I concluded the car must have fallen off the truck at some point resulting in mechanical damage to the frame or steering. I eventually walked away from the car, it was a lease, and suffered the consequences. I hope they can resolve this issue for you because the car really is awesome! Good luck!
Wow! Unusual for Audi. When the Audi rep said "normal road handling", I would have obtained a lawyer the next day, knowing this is NOT normal anything!
Yeah, we love the Tucson also. I will assume ya read all the posts here. Seems to be a common problem, this steering issue. The tech at my dealership let it slip that many others were having the same issue. "We" are upset at the lack of expediency to resolve the problem, and the lack of usual diagnostics for this issue.
As for me, Hyundai is running out of time, quickly.;)
Just a quick note....my son has a 2015 Audi S6....we tuned it and put a big turbos (2) kit in it.....800hp....0-60 in 2.4 seconds, 70k miles on it. So far one stupid exhaust sensor has failed, not bad for beating it to death. Sorry you had bad luck with them. Audi USA has been very helpful to us.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson SEL
7 Posts

Strange for Audi but thanks for the story. I love the Tuscon but if this is how I will be treated the entire time I own it, I kinda hope to walk away from the thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Here's a clip of the steering wheel shimmy from back in June. This happened after going over an expansion joint. That segment of the highway is pretty damn smooth.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson SEL
7 Posts
So, my dealer has finally admitted there is a problem. One of the mechanics got the wheel to shake. They tried to recalibrate the steering but that didn't fix the problem. I'll get an appointment when they open Monday.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is it possible for an improperly tightened control arm bushing to cause this issue? Just watched this video

21 - 40 of 67 Posts