Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the new 2022 Tucson PHEV about 2 weeks ago and noticed that when I was in EV mode the engine would switch on and didn't know why. after some research both on reddit and on the Hyundai website in fine print it says that that even in EV mode the engine may engage when 1) you accelerate the car and need more power 2) the battery is low and 3) when engaging the climate controls to heat the cabin. So today I turned off all climate control and because it's chilly in vancouver only turned on the heated steering wheel and seat. drove about 12 KMs return trip and EV was engaged all the way but the gas tank indicator still dropped. anyone else notice this? makes me think EV mode is never really pure EV but still dips into the fuel tank

·
Registered
'22 SEL +Convenience +Premium in Intense Blue
87 Posts
I had a friend with a Chevy Volt, and even though he could do his commute on ev only it still ran the gas engine about a gallon a month.

I would guess it also needs to run to lubricate seals and make sure the engine is in good condition when you need it

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought my Tucson PHEV last week. Everything seems good and meets the specifications such as the mileage per gallon. But when I use the included charging cable which is level 1 to charge my car, it is charging at 0.6kw, i.e., it needs over 26 hours to have a full charge. I checked online and found that level 1 charging should run at 1.4 to 2.4kw speed. What do you get about the charging speed? Or anything special I should do to increase the speed? Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just bought my Tucson PHEV last week. Everything seems good and meets the specifications such as the mileage per gallon. But when I use the included charging cable which is level 1 to charge my car, it is charging at 0.6kw, i.e., it needs over 26 hours to have a full charge. I checked online and found that level 1 charging should run at 1.4 to 2.4kw speed. What do you get about the charging speed? Or anything special I should do to increase the speed? Thanks for any information.
on the charger, there should be a button you can press down to increase the charging speed. I had the same issue at first, took 24 hrs for a full charge. once I increased the charging speed, the time to full charge reduced by half to 12hrs max so overnight charging as expected :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
on the charger, there should be a button you can press down to increase the charging speed. I had the same issue at first, took 24 hrs for a full charge. once I increased the charging speed, the time to full charge reduced by half to 12hrs max so overnight charging as expected :)
You are right. I press the button to change the charging speed. Now it is charging at 1.3kw, instead of 0.6kw. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I got the new 2022 Tucson PHEV about 2 weeks ago and noticed that when I was in EV mode the engine would switch on and didn't know why. after some research both on reddit and on the Hyundai website in fine print it says that that even in EV mode the engine may engage when 1) you accelerate the car and need more power 2) the battery is low and 3) when engaging the climate controls to heat the cabin. So today I turned off all climate control and because it's chilly in vancouver only turned on the heated steering wheel and seat. drove about 12 KMs return trip and EV was engaged all the way but the gas tank indicator still dropped. anyone else notice this? makes me think EV mode is never really pure EV but still dips into the fuel tank
It will use some gas if you have the heat on because it needs to run the motor. In the warmer months you would be able to almost only use battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts