Hyundai Tucson Forum banner

2022 tuscon, noise rear-end passenger side

12K views 41 replies 21 participants last post by  KindaHandyish 
#1 ·
I have been hearing a noise coming from the rear-end passenger side, the best description of the noise it sounds like rubbing a steel, ( like the trunk is not closing well)

If anyone with this car is having the same problem? or any suggestions.

#2 ·
Could you describe the conditions of the vehicle when you hear this noise? That would help narrow down the culprits.

If you're going into park, it's likely the automatic parking brake. If you're going driving over bumps, it could be that your recovery eye-hook is rattling around. Or it could be a number of other things.

#3 ·
Could you describe the conditions of the vehicle when you hear this noise? That would help narrow down the culprits.

If you're going into park, it's likely the automatic parking brake. If you're going driving over bumps, it could be that your recovery eye-hook is rattling around. Or it could be a number of other things.
hey thank you for the feedback. Is when i drive over bumps or hit something on the passenger side. sound like the truck is not properly closed, but if im parked and try to shake the trunk it does not move or anything.

#4 · (Edited)
Yes!! I've heard that rear passenger-side sound over small bumps... it sounded like a shock absorber not recovering properly, or loose exhaust pipe on that side bouncing around. I've taken my car to Hyundai to have the rear shock/strut/exhaust on that side checked out. They didn't see anything and drove it around stating things seemed normal. It is evident that the passenger-side rear suspension/bump/sound is there in my car and with the quiet interior, that sound get's my attention every time. I look forward to hearing an answer if folks have one.

#14 ·
We have had this issue since last summer. So far they have re-arranged our back cargo space... nope. They then said is was the rubber stoppers on the back door so, they glued those permanently down... nope. They then told us it was some sort of harness system (cords were flopping around) so, they ordered a whole bracket thing to encompass the various bits underneath... nope. We just got it back last week after the 7th visit and they replaced a shock nut? (I forget what it was but some sort of nut was broken they said) that they said would fix it... nope. My husband has called this morning rather irate and it will go in again next Wednesday... I'll keep you posted lol

#15 ·
"....My husband has called this morning rather irate and it will go in again next Wednesday... I'll keep you posted lol ..."

Thanks for looping back with outcome(s), or at least status. ;)

I've found one effective tack is offering the room my expectations at the onset, and [calmly] documenting my expectations with something like, "This makes 5 of your firm's attempts to fix the same defect. So, I wonder whether I need to contemplate the Lemon Law....."

Oh yah, he'll get the shaming and smirks and condescending replies, but the look on their faces is priceless when [calmly] adding, "It appears you're enjoying a wonderful time here, and at my expense. It sounds to me like you think I'm joking, so I'd recommend this shop puts forth its best effort this time not shoveling the car out the stall and do what it takes to properly root cause and solve the real issue."

Now 'Follow'ing. With most all these type issues it'll end up in the:
-Never had it myself, but put it in the Watch For column
-The poster never returned with outcome
-A one-off one-time fluke was finally uncovered. Now fixed, but doesn't sound TSB-worthy
-Darned, it finally became a thing and got back to the assembly line - bye bye to issue

#17 ·
I've found one effective tack is offering the room my expectations at the onset, and [calmly] documenting my expectations with something like, "This makes 5 of your firm's attempts to fix the same defect. So, I wonder whether I need to contemplate the Lemon Law....."
I may have to tell my husband to try it your way, rather than going in hot as he plans 😁. I’m frustrated with it all as well but, I tend to be the nice guy… which is why my car has probably been in the shop 7 times 🤪.
We don’t have an actual Lemon Law here but, we do have avenues to resolve these issues. After Wednesday this might be our next step. I hope not though, I love my car and want to keep her 🥰

#16 ·
Mine does this, I think it's the right rear shock. Ask the dealer to replace it and see if it goes away.
I'm guessing they had a batch of shocks that were bad and we're finding out about it the hard way.
Come spring, I'll probably get an aftermarket shock and replace it and see if that was the problem.
I don't think it's an interior noise or exhaust bouncing around.

#18 ·
Mine does this, I think it's the right rear shock. Ask the dealer to replace it and see if it goes away.
It’s funny you would say that. My husband has been saying that from day one. They kept telling him that no it’s this that or the other. The closest we got to the shocks was this last visit when they replaced a nut that was broken. Not sure how they wouldn’t be able to see it’s a shock (but I also have no clue how it all works lol).
He said this time he is going to take them on a drive til the noise happens again. He thinks they aren’t going the right roads so recreate it and only hear minimal noise. It’s the big dips and bumps that really punctuate it. Hopefully maybe it is a shock issue. Thank you!

#21 ·
This may not apply to those with the hybrids and/or without a spare, but a common cause of any noise in the rear can be equipment or clutter not properly cinched down. An either loose spare retainer nut or just the spare not bearing perfectly flat will make random noises under set circumstances.

#22 ·
Mine is not hybrid and test done with everything removed from the cargo, including the spare. Noise is there. Many people suspected shock is the cause. My first thought was also shock absorber. Going over dips and bumps are when you can notice it and only if car was outside and temperature is below 5-7 Celsius. Very strange. During the summer with summer tires I have not heard the noise.

#23 ·
That sounds like a lubrication problem, of the shock absorber as a guess. The problem is there is no reason that, though there are only a few reports of the noise it is in the same place. A bad new shock certainly can happen but always in the same spot?

#26 ·
22 Tucson Hybrid Blue here. I've been having this same issue in the same area (rear passenger, sounds like from the trunk or under the car). Best way I can describe it is, sounds like I have like a big cast iron pot or dutch oven with a loose lid that makes a clunky rattle when going over bumps. I'm going in for an oil change next week and I'm going to ask them to check it out but I'm not hopeful for a resolution, especially after reading the experiences in this thread.

#27 ·
As promised, a follow-up to our 8th visit to address this issue. After an entire day in the shop, several test drives and a lunch consisting of vending machine delicacies… we will return for a 9th visit next Tuesday 😂😡🤬🤪

First they came out telling hubby that they replaced the loose shock nuts. Hubby asked “you mean the shock nuts you just replaced two weeks ago? They were loose?!” So that wasn’t the problem. They also claimed to have checked the shocks and, that they are in good working order and, not the issue at all (I still have my doubts about that)

They then went back and “hooked the chassis ears to the RR suspension”and that didn’t resolve the issue.

They then hoisted the car, removed the chassis ears, loosened all the bolts on the RR shock, lowered the vehicle and tightened everything again. They claim this resolved the noise, I can confirm it did not.

So now, after speaking with the department manager, we will return my baby next Tuesday. They will keep her as long as it takes to resolve the issue. After that, we will escalate if necessary. The bonus, we will get a 2023 Santa Fe to use… hubby really wanted me to pick that originally sonow he gets his wish, for a moment lol

I wish I had a solution for you all but, we are getting closer! I’ll let you know next week 😁

#29 ·
I wish I had a solution for you all but, we are getting closer! I’ll let you know next week 😁
Well, it took a little longer than a week while we waited for parts but... I am happy to report that we have solved the issue (for now, fingers crossed)!

After several test drives with hubby and the shop foreman, it was discovered that in fact both sides were making this noise. The left side wasn't as noticeable but the foreman said he clearly heard it. So at least we had someone in the shop that didn't think we were crazy lol

Anyway the results of all this was that they replaced both rear shocks, mounts, stoppers and retainers. A note was made that the shock bushing was twisting so, not sure if that was the origin but worth mentioning I guess. They haven't given us a definitive answer to what the issues were but, we are assuming it was a bad batch of shocks.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) we haven't had alot of extremely cold days again but, so far the noise has completely stopped. We will continue to monitor and with any luck, next winter we won't have a repeat.

Hopefully this will help anyone else having the same issues. Good luck!

#30 ·
Hey, I appreciate your sticking with it and looping back with what is hopefully the fix. Not only the other folks with the same symptom(s) and what sounds like their similar chronic grief, but those of us who've seen past similar occasions of phantom issues and their -->eventual<-- correction.

Nine trips to have them finally fix things = that should be the topic of the next 2 months of Monday am toolbox talks at that dealer.
Oh, and notice how I didn't bring up that every mechanic student learns by the 3rd week of class you never never fully cinch and torque any suspension parts without them loaded with the vehicle's weight.

#31 ·
I have a 2022 Tucson Plug-in Hybrid. I noticed a "clunking" noise from the rear while driving and it sounded like it was from the rear suspension. I live in a very cold climate and attributed it to possible snow/ice hung up under the car. After weather warmed up it was even worse so I took it to my dealer who said they were aware of the problem and there have been a number of Tucsons with this problem. They said it was a rubber bumper/stop with the rear suspension that has come loose and it needs to be re-attached/glued. Made an appointment, had the work done and the noise was gone. Lasted about a week and the noise came back worse than before. Went back into my dealer, it was re-examined and both rear shocks have leaked out. New shocks on order. Will this fix the problem? I don't know. The shocks need replacement but if gluing the rubber bumpers for the suspension fixed the problem, even for a short time, do the shocks AND the bumper/stops also need replacing? I asked the service advisor/s but they both looked at me like they were late for lunch so I guess we'll see when the new shocks are installed.

#33 ·
I have been hearing a noise coming from the rear-end passenger side, the best description of the noise it sounds like rubbing a steel, ( like the trunk is not closing well) If anyone with this car is having the same problem? or any suggestions.
I have lived with the same problem since purchasing the car in April of 2022. At first I was told that it was due to the 19" tire size. Today at 22,000 miles I finally got it diagnosed as a bad differential. My parts are on order and I expect to have the problem resolved and have a quiet ride going forward.

#38 ·
It might be a matter of your terminology, but you'll need to be more descriptive as the hubs have no lock nuts. There's the nuts attaching the hub to the strut, along with perhaps a center nut holding the bearing together (and exacting precise torque for tightening), neither of which anyone has any business messing with on a car still under warranty.
Then there's lug nuts attaching the wheel to hub. For about 100% of owners capable of any checking on their own, Steps 1 thru 5 will likely always be checking those first.

So, clarifications in order.

Automotive tire Font Wheel Motor vehicle Tire

#39 ·
22 Tucson Hybrid Blue here. I've been having this same issue in the same area (rear passenger, sounds like from the trunk or under the car). Best way I can describe it is, sounds like I have like a big cast iron pot or dutch oven with a loose lid that makes a clunky rattle when going over bumps. I'm going in for an oil change next week and I'm going to ask them to check it out but I'm not hopeful for a resolution, especially after reading the experiences in this thread.
I was at the dealer yesterday and they didn't found anything wrong. Any update on yours?

#41 ·
Translated -
"hello. after my 30,000km service and a few visits to hyundai they told me they had found the part responsible for the noise. It is supposedly the shock absorber. It is on order and will soon be replaced. I will keep you informed of the change"

That was also found by another poster so hopefully it fixes yours. Good information Thanks.

#42 ·
A bit late to the party but I noticed the rear passenger seat area had what sounded like a light metal on metal rub any time I was driving. I figured out it only happened when the seat was up and latched to the bar. After some troubleshooting I figured out there was a rub between the seat latch and the loop bar (probably not the technical name) that the seat latches in to. I could see where the paint had been rubbed off from the bar and inside the latch. A small piece piece of electrical tape on the bar seems to be a good temporary/permanent fix.