Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2023 Tucson Limited, white/grey (ICE)
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took delivery on Friday of my long-awaited 2023 Tucson Ltd. While going over the controls with the dealer, I discovered that that my USB stick full of music slid into the left-hand USB jack without any resistance, and immediately fell back out. It seems that the jack itself has fallen back into the dark jungle of wires behind the dashboard recess.

The salesman immediately drove into the service bay (it was just 5PM), and an appointment was made to fix the jack. This is, of course, the jack for interaction with the head unit infotainment system, not just for charging, so I can't use Android Auto or play my USB music collection. Bummer. But the rest of the car is of course utterly wonderful. After 3 CR-V's from Honda, this is a delightful alternative, with much more exciting tech and styling. But it's weird that something as simple as a USB jack could be mounted in such a flimsy manner.

Has anyone else had this problem? And in particular, is the repair as horrendously tine-consuming as I imagine, deep in the middle of the dash assembly? Is the jack robust after the repair, or does it remain vulnerable to the slightest resistance from a USB plug?

Thanks in advance for any other experiences with this rather silly problem.

Allen

· Registered
310 Posts
Sorry for the Debbie Downer just upon delivery. But what you describe sounds like a quick center dash panel R&R with replacement of the particular panel (and it's broken attachment clips) holding that usb jack. 40 minute's worth in and out - take longer writing up the warranty service ticket.
Now the wait for that one little part could be a Fed-Ex from the Hyundai parts dist. center, or, 3 months backorder.

Let's hope it was just an improperly seated connection during assembly. I read on here that there's been an issue with unseated and intermittent plug-ins at several elec. modules around the car, and causing all manner of drive-ability and operation glitches. Hope it's nothing.

· Registered
2023 Tucson Limited, white/grey (ICE)
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the encouraging response. I saw a YT vid involving some head unit disassembly, and it does seem to be reasonably easy to get to. Far from the dreaded dashboard disassembly.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that either the replacement part is not far off, or that something can be re-clipped or tightened or whatever. I had two loaners from the dealer during my 3-month wait, both 2019 Santa Fe Ultimate in mint condition, and their USB jacks were unusually tight. Maybe the alignment of the dash panel opening with the jack itself is at issue. I've been using USB in a thousand ways for decades, so I know not to force a plug, but I've never had that much trouble inserting a USB-A plug. Normally I use a "pin buffer" anyway, so I'm including one when I bring in the car. It's easier to plug in various things with a short M/F cable anyway, and there's no more wear & tear on the car itself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts