Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe old school, I still want an oil change early on after an engine "break in." Even more so with the Tucson because like many posting I saw quite a difference in performance after some miles were on the car more of a difference than other new cars I have had. Slight hesitation is gone, improved mpg, etc. The car has really smoothed out.
For me that translates into possibly metal wearing off the new parts that would not be out of the ordinary.

First, they fixed the cluster not showing what radio station was playing when changing stations. Mine never did I didn't even realize it was supposed to till just a day or two ago. Looking at the paperwork I think they did something with the infotainment system, may have simply reset it.

The service department talked to me about my options regarding the maintenance program and explained a couple things I wondered about.
As we know if you go by the mileage recommended for oil changes there are a pre determined number of oil changes that is provided, up to 4 over up to three years or 36,000 miles for the ICE Tucson. (Normal conditions)
The reason for the coverage being 36,000 miles vs 32,000 miles is to allow for up to 1,000 miles past the recommended oil change each time. (So if you did every 9,000 miles)

Dealer gave me a choice of using my free one now, and have one less at the end or pay now then be on the regular schedule which is what I chose.
I will change my oil at approx 8,000 miles again, and approx every 8,000 miles after since it is full synthetic.

Dealers are supposed to allow you to come in for them to check the oil level if you want in between oil changes.

Harsh conditions would get you every other oil change by official Hyundai rules. A Service dept at it's own discretion can determine you do drive in mostly Harsh conditions and offer a discount for extra oil changes but they do not have to.

Dealers are allowed to use Blended oil, it of course has to meet the standards set in the manual. They do not have to pay for full synthetic if customer wants that.

So all that said, this dealer does use full synthetic Amalie oil. Even at 2,500 miles they treated it as 8,000 miles and did a thorough check of systems, looking underneath, tires etc etc. They checked for any updates that should be done. (none pending for me) They hand washed the car and dried it.
The cost was less than then In and Out, or Take Five here which really surprised me and the same as PEP boys the only other one besides the dealer who will rotate tires.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Old school here as well. And as the wife's now has a whopping 320 miles on it I still have to wait another month or two at her rate to do its first change at just 500 miles. I'm going through similar studies and projections as you, encompassing the full v. blended, and the added musical chairs with viscosities between the manufacturer's written directions v. 'dealer preferences'. I see it as rather cut n dried according to what's stated in the manufacturer's manual, which I always consider holds more weight than what anyone "says is ok" especially a dealer:
Tucson Lubrication Specs.pdf

Unless a dealer cares to comb the car's Bluestar for the entire detailed driving history between every oil change, I'm interested then in their logic flow diagram of how they edict "at its own discretion" that its been driven under Severe Conditions, thus permitting them to use cheaper blended oil. Any dealer that attempted that would simply never see my vehicle again. And just to be playing amateur mathematician with union and intersection set theory it would be the dealer's very action of causing this so-called severe conditions by having made themselves responsible by creating Condition L. in the first place. This then makes the dealer responsible for the more frequent oil change periods (which Hyundai isn't going to pay for, and ipso facto making the dealer eat those overlapping and more frequent 'severe service' oil changes per manufacturer requirements:
Tucson Normal - Severe Maint.pdf

Like I said, I do not intend to lower myself to a dealer's pretzel logic in this regard. I just have to uncover the dealer who will agree to let me personally watch as they pour the $30 worth of the correct oil that I'll buy and hand them as it goes into into my car. And I'll have all this concurred to my extremely skeptical satisfaction before the car ever gets through the service dept. door. It's interesting that upon my asking at time of delivery I was already informed by the selling dealer that "insurance does not allow customers in the service area". That's ok that they tipped their hand up front, and I'll give them one more try at my business at the time of my 3rd oil change, which I'll put at '6,000+6,000=12,000 miles. And since the car won't see that kind of mileage for quite some time, and I change oil a maximum every 6 months, then it'll be right at 10 months from now since delivery. I've heard the dealer gets a whopping $57 from Hyundai for every 'free maintenance' oil change they do. I consider this is the entire rationale for the dealer trying to shave their costs at every opportunity. I'll eventually find the dealer who figures it way to their advantage to let me (as the customer) be the knucklehead for once while they rake in much bigger margin on the deal. Win-Win!

But I've got a question. I'm interested in your comment on dealers being allowed to use blended oil as long as it meets the standards set in the manual. I haven't done exhaustive search, but heard the cw is there's no such thing as a 'blended' 0- weight anything available in any oil.
I stole this snip to further confuse the issue:

The other US and Asian automakers recommend using an ILSAC, international lubrication standardization and approval committee, oil. GF-6 is the latest ILSAC spec. GF-6 comes in two version, based on viscosity:
  1. GF-6A for 0W-20, 0W-30, 5W-20 and 5W-30. It used to cover 10W-30 also, but I think they dropped it since none of the automakers are recommending that grade.
  2. GF-6B for 0W-16.
I am going to talk about dexos1 oils compared to GF-6 oils.

GF-6 and dexos1 has the same requirements for many properties. The big difference is in the engine tests and a few of the bench tests. For the few bench tests, these are properties tested in a lab, the tests are the same, but dexos has tougher limits. The engine tests is where dexos is different. For GF-6 there are the following engine tests:

1. Sequence IIIG - A cleanliness / oxidation test using a Chrysler engine.
  2. Sequence IVB - A wear test using a Toyota engine.
  3. Sequence VH - A low temperature sludge test using a Ford engine
  4. Sequence VIE, VIF in GF-6B, - A fuel economy test using a GM engine
  5. Sequence VIII - Corrosion test using a single cylinder engine. It had a shear stability part, but GF-6 removed it.
  6. Sequence IX - LSPI, low speed pre-ignition, test using a Ford engine
  7. Sequence X - Chain wear test using a Ford engine
There is no Sequence I, II or VII, they were gone before I got into lubrication.

Dexos uses GM engines for all of their engine test, so there is no concern with different calibrations causing an issue. Dexos has requirements for all of the GF-6 test except for IIIG and IX. GM has the GMOD, GM oxidation, test instead of the IIIG. Dexos uses the GM SPI instead of the IX. For the VH, dexos limits are higher than GF-6. Dexos still uses the shear stability part in VIII.

All dexos oils will meet GF-6’s requirements. Although a large number do, all GF-6 oils will not meet the dexos requirements. The dexos requirements force the use of more, or full, synthetics than GF-6.

Now after all that, and a little more keyboarding, I found at least one co. is figuring out how to meet GF-6 with other than quote, 'Full Synthetic' products. The trick is making sure that your car whose life you're charged with protecting is getting exact correct quality of periodic blood transfusions, and not just the cheapest barest minimum 'technically almost qualifying' stuff a shop decides to dump in:

Product Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

::Rant Over:: - for now

Attachments

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I read the entire post, many things we think the same about.

These two come to mind I know about.

Pennzoil Offers ILSAC GF-6 Compliant Motor Oils (aftermarketnews.com)

And Everest is an oil here, that is blended 0W20 and says it exceeds SP / ILSAC GF-6A

What is interesting, is this footnote to the oil requirements in the manual.
*2 : Requires API Latest (or ILSAC Latest) Full synthetic grade engine oil. If a lower grade engine oil (mineral oil including Semi-synthetic) is used, then the engine oil and engine oil filter must be replaced as indicated severe maintenance condition

1 - 3 of 3 Posts