Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this is a stupid question.
Where is the 4WD lock button on a Canadian Tuscon Hybrid Ultimate?

The Canadian manual skips over this section for the HEV. But for the PHEV the 4WD lock is immediately left of the drive mode paddle per the user manual.

In my car i have the terrain mode to select between Mud, Snow and Sand.

Is this the same as 4WD lock? I'll be driving on some loose surfaces and want to know what options are available.

Thank you

· Registered
2022 Tucson Ultimate Hybrid White/Grey
208 Posts
I apologize if this is a stupid question.
Where is the 4WD lock button on a Canadian Tuscon Hybrid Ultimate?

The Canadian manual skips over this section for the HEV. But for the PHEV the 4WD lock is immediately left of the drive mode paddle per the user manual.

In my car i have the terrain mode to select between Mud, Snow and Sand.

Is this the same as 4WD lock? I'll be driving on some loose surfaces and want to know what options are available.

Thank you
Page 6-40
From what I understand, there is no real 4WD lock feature as the AWD is automatic. This button is a differential lock button which locks the differentials to avoid wheel slippage
on ice or mud.
Font Screenshot Electric blue Brand Advertising

· Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
492 Posts
My guess is the 4 wheel lock is incorporated into one (or all) of the terrain modes, which my car doesn't have. What happens when you push the drive/terrain button (lights on dash etc.) ? That is where the 4 wheel lock is located on my USA hybrid. Also, what does it say in your manual about the function of that button and what it controls?
Motor vehicle Personal luxury car Car Automotive exterior Vehicle

· Registered
208 Posts
I just checked my Ultimate as well and there is no button there. There is the ESC off button located as indicated below, but I assume you can select the mud or snow mode when extra traction is required. It is an automated system that only works below about 40 kph.

Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle Steering wheel Steering part

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I don't understand the uniqueness of the Canadian models given our small market share. I'd thought it would be identical to USDM.

The user manual is of no use. It shows the 4WD lock where it's supposed to be. There is no mention of the terrain selection. Even the drive modes are different in the manual. In any case I drove on loose roads and farm tracks with deep ruts today. No issues at all, left it on auto-eco. Changing the terrain mode did not show the 4wd lock. Will have to experiment in winter.

Here are the photos from the manual for reference.

Motor vehicle Font Material property Parallel Paper
Font Parallel Publication Pattern Paper
Motor vehicle Font Parallel Paper Publication

· Registered
208 Posts
I know Snow mode limits rpm to prevent wheel spin but unsure if it locks the diffs.
Pressing ESC button to turn it off may help with traction but I never had a problem with traction last winter.

· Registered
492 Posts
What happens when you push that drive/ terrain button? Do the words "Drive" and "Terrain" light up together or separately? If they light up separately, that might mean "Drive" is unlocked and "Terrain" is locked. If they turn on and off simultaneously, that might mean locked when the light is on, as in the U.S version.

· Registered
492 Posts
This is how the Drive/ terrain button is explained in the new Santa Fe. It shows "Drive" and "Terrain" lighting separately and doesn't give you the option of locking front and rear differentials. New Terrain Mode Selector on the new Santa Fe.

Images

This appears to be Hyundai's newest transmission control, because in the previous version of the Santa Fe, the center button is the "Lock" button, rather than the "Drive" "Terrain" button.

· Registered
Montreal, QC
413 Posts
What happens when you push that drive/ terrain button? Do the words "Drive" and "Terrain" light up together or separately? If they light up separately, that might mean "Drive" is unlocked and "Terrain" is locked. If they turn on and off simultaneously, that might mean locked when the light is on, as in the U.S version.
Chose also the simulation of the wheels and see which selection locks the wheels.

· Registered
2022 Tucson Preferred
74 Posts
Canadian model owner here, can confirm there is no AWD lock, but the terrain modes most definitely send more power to the rear as I have tested Snow, Mud, and Sand mode. They also change the gearing with sand keeping it in the mid 3000s most times, mud being 1 gear higher, and snow keeping the throttle response low, and gears high. It takes a lot of effort to make it downshift in snow mode, which is good.

· Registered
492 Posts
One thought. My USA Tucson Hybrid's infotainment system provides a QR code that links to an owner's manual. I have never used it. Is it possible that the Canadian Tucson has a similar QR code that would link to the proper manual for the car? It is rather ridiculous that the car comes with the wrong printed manual.

· Registered
2022 Tucson Preferred
74 Posts
One thought. My USA Tucson Hybrid's infotainment system provides a QR code that links to an owner's manual. I have never used it. Is it possible that the Canadian Tucson has a similar QR code that would link to the proper manual for the car? It is rather ridiculous that the car comes with the wrong printed manual.
Yeah, it just goes to Owner’s Manual | Hyundai Canada Owners | Hyundai Canada

I do not remember my printed copy being USDM though, so that is odd.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well this is just strange.
I might try to get some clarification from Hyndai.

Looks like the Canadian PHEVs have the button.
Can other PHEV owners confirm?

Here is a picture from an online listing
Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Audio equipment Vehicle audio

1 - 20 of 22 Posts