Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has had this experience. The a/c was running but for my wife I wanted to increase the set temperature. Right away the heat came on! The first time I wondered if it was because I was setting it very close to the outside temp. Then it happened again when the outside temp was well above the set point. I will certainly ask the service advisor about it at my first oil change but was curious if this might be common or just me. 2022 Ultimate hybrid.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Ultimate Hybrid White/Grey
123 Posts
I believe it is based on ambient cabin temperature so it will momentarily turn the heat on to bring it back up to the higher set temperature.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
349 Posts
Wondering if anyone has had this experience. The a/c was running but for my wife I wanted to increase the set temperature. Right away the heat came on! The first time I wondered if it was because I was setting it very close to the outside temp. Then it happened again when the outside temp was well above the set point. I will certainly ask the service advisor about it at my first oil change but was curious if this might be common or just me. 2022 Ultimate hybrid.
You set the temp higher - higher than the inside temp was measured so it turned on the heat. Outside temp has no bearing.

·
Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
332 Posts
I get my best a/c performance the old fashioned way. Manually turn on the a/c, set the temperature to "low", fan to high speed and when it cools off enough, back off on the fan. Once you get there, you can switch to auto but I rarely bother with it . Also, remember when you are in manual mode, the numbers on the display are not the set temperature, but relative numbers between lo and high. When selecting manual mode, those numbers should change to 1 through 10 to eliminate the confusion. It is just another example of poorly thought out systems designed by back bench engineers.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Never had a car do that before in almost 60 years of driving!
If you had auto on, then yes they do. Auto keeps the temperature you have set. How do you think it does that if it does not switch between air conditioning and heat. That's the purpose of it. If I want 72 the system then decides based on cabin temperature to use either air conditioning or heat. That's how it works. Change the temperature and the system acts accordingly.
I believe it is based on ambient cabin temperature so it will momentarily turn the heat on to bring it back up to the higher set temperature.
That.

How does the automatic climate control system work? hond... (yourmechanic.com)
"The climate control system will automatically turn on the heat or air, and adjust fan speed to ensure that the interior of the cabin remains at your desired temperature level."

Automatic Temperature Controls| Vehicle Support | Chevy (chevrolet.com)
"The A/C button will light up. NOTE: This doesn’t necessarily mean the air conditioning is on — it just means it’s available for the system to automatically turn it on if it’s needed."

How Does Climate Control Work in a Car? (philmeadortoyota.com)
"How Does Climate Control Work?
Like a thermostat system in a home, a car with climate control has thermometers that keep track of the temperature inside your car. If you set your climate control system to 72 degrees Fahrenheit, for example, the thermostat will check the temperature, and increase or decrease the fan speed, and switch between heating and cooling as necessary to keep the temperature at that number."

·
Registered
349 Posts
I get my best a/c performance the old fashioned way. Manually turn on the a/c, set the temperature to "low", fan to high speed and when it cools off enough, back off on the fan. Once you get there, you can switch to auto but I rarely bother with it . Also, remember when you are in manual mode, the numbers on the display are not the set temperature, but relative numbers between lo and high. When selecting manual mode, those numbers should change to 1 through 10 to eliminate the confusion. It is just another example of poorly thought out systems designed by back bench engineers.
You say that about many things but it isn't true, or not as often anyway. How is that poorly thought out. Auto sets the temp to an (nearly) exact setting you choose. Manual does not so the scale has to be relative - a little warmer, a little less warm.
I happens auto in this car (my ICE anyway) is the best I have ever had really is mostly set it and forget it, except I do have to turn on the disperse setting sometimes.
I would agree in some of past cars auto does not always work as well.

One thing this system seems not do that I have had others do is delay the fan coming on till the engine has some heat when using the heater.

·
Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
332 Posts
There is no explanation for how the manual system works vs. the auto. If it was so easy, why do so many people ask why their heat comes on when they want a/c? That should not happen under any circumstance with an "automatic" system. No worries, I figured out a system that works well for me and I posted it so it might help others. Make of it what you will. By the way, my system will work for the heat also. Just like the old days, set the heat setting and the fan to high, when it is warm enough, back off on the fan or temp as you need it. The other thing about these new systems that is a joke (not just Hyundai) is the separate controls for passenger and driver. It's like separate settings for couch and recliner in your tv room ha. What happens when the passenger raises the temp and the heat comes on his side while the driver's side is blowing cold?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I honestly can't remember another thread or any bulk of people asking about wondering why heat comes on for people using auto. There are general questions about Auto especially from those that did not have it before... And you answered a general question a couple of times about using auto climate with answers like mine are.
Some people don't like using auto climate I was not all that fond of it as I say in some past cars.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited USA Market, Amazon Grey/Black With full OEM compact Spare
86 Posts
In requards to the Hybrid limited climate control there is very little logic to the Auto setting and is a complete mess, IMO.

I found the climate control system beyond logic based on many many other cars I had including Hyundais.

Starting with three speeds for Auto. When Auto low is selected, it will blow full speed if it is extremely hot or cold inside cabin, so why have a option.

Fan will blow no matter if the ICE is on or up to a high enough temperature in cold weather, quite refreshing when getting in the car in winter with a nice continuance blast of cold air.

Wiskey Tango Foxtrot.

In this case I rather have nothing than cold air blowing, and with all the tech in the car it can be set not to blow until warm air is available.

Can't use diffuse with Auto, or any vent selection for that matter.

On Auto the vent selection does what it wants, floor most of the time then blows in your face, either heat or A/C.

The temperature setting is far from correct for heat even with the ICE at temperature. Set to 74 it will blow cool non A/C air then blow warmer air but cabin never gets to 74, 70 or so.

The A/C will cycle at odd times when clearly not needed, even with all auto de-humidity, auto defog, tunnel, washer fluid use, and seats ventilation off.

Auto set temperature randomly will revert back to default 72 degrees.

It's been a treat to figure out why it is the way it is for me.

On the other hand, manual works fine and I'm becoming one the the Auto setting shenanigans.

·
Registered
349 Posts
In requards to the Hybrid limited climate control there is very little logic to the Auto setting and is a complete mess, IMO.

I found the climate control system beyond logic based on many many other cars I had including Hyundais.

Starting with three speeds for Auto. When Auto low is selected, it will blow full speed if it is extremely hot or cold inside cabin, so why have a option.

Fan will blow no matter if the ICE is on or up to a high enough temperature in cold weather, quite refreshing when getting in the car in winter with a nice continuance blast of cold air.

Wiskey Tango Foxtrot.

In this case I rather have nothing than cold air blowing, and with all the tech in the car it can be set not to blow until warm air is available.

Can't use diffuse with Auto, or any vent selection for that matter.

On Auto the vent selection does what it wants, floor most of the time then blows in your face, either heat or A/C.

The temperature setting is far from correct for heat even with the ICE at temperature. Set to 74 it will blow cool non A/C air then blow warmer air but cabin never gets to 74, 70 or so.

The A/C will cycle at odd times when clearly not needed, even with all auto de-humidity, auto defog, tunnel, washer fluid use, and seats ventilation off.

Auto set temperature randomly will revert back to default 72 degrees.

It's been a treat to figure out why it is the way it is for me.

On the other hand, manual works fine and I'm becoming one the the Auto setting shenanigans.
With that better description I see the reason for the difference of my posts and some others.
That is not how the ICE version works for the most part.

I can pick disperse and it stays in auto - for temperature setting, not fan speed.

You can pick your own fan speed while staying in Auto.

Mine never has yet reverted to 72 Unless I use remote start.

I have posted before, this is one of the best Auto systems I have had apparently in the ICE not Hybrid. It really is mostly set it and forget it except I do use disperse.

The one that is the same, though we don't have enough cold weather here for me to be sure, but don't think the system will wait for some engine heat before starting the fan.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same. I never use "Auto".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts