Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
My 2022 SEL hybrid has a very annoying acceleration delay after a full stop. I had it for two months and have now 3000 miles on. The delay has always been there. It is present no matter which mode the car is on. It is also not due to the auto hold. To be clear, it is not a matter of slow acceleration, but a 1-2 second delay of anything happening after I press the pedal. How much I press the pedal does not change anything. It looks a lot like the 2016 problem that lead to the recall commented here. Anyone having the same experience?
Unfortunately likely not related but I am disappointed with the mpg I get with the car. Typically about 30MPG each tank. I live in California doing 75/25 freeway/city.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
457 Posts
Have you had it checked out? If so, what was the response? If not, You should get it looked at it as as soon as possible because the car should not do that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you had it checked out? If so, what was the response? If not, You should get it looked at it as as soon as possible because the car should not do that.
Thanks Mungo, I have not got it checked yet. My dealership is a bit far and did not find the time to go. Would you recommend I go to my dealership or any Hyundai garage, or any garage?

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Limited PHEV Amazon Gray / Black. 2022 Tucson SEL PHEV Shimmering Silver / Gray
182 Posts
Thanks Mungo, I have not got it checked yet. My dealership is a bit far and did not find the time to go. Would you recommend I go to my dealership or any Hyundai garage, or any garage?
Any certified Hyundai Dealership would be alright as it should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
643 Posts
Hi everyone,
My 2022 SEL hybrid has a very annoying acceleration delay after a full stop. I had it for two months and have now 3000 miles on. The delay has always been there. It is present no matter which mode the car is on. It is also not due to the auto hold. To be clear, it is not a matter of slow acceleration, but a 1-2 second delay of anything happening after I press the pedal. How much I press the pedal does not change anything. It looks a lot like the 2016 problem that lead to the recall commented here. Anyone having the same experience?
Unfortunately likely not related but I am disappointed with the mpg I get with the car. Typically about 30MPG each tank. I live in California doing 75/25 freeway/city.

Thanks for your help!
Look at some threads here about mpg, alot of Hybrid and ICE owners say if they keep it under 70 the mileage jumps higher. I have the ICE version so different engine but I also see better mpg under 70.
Hybrids typically don't do their best highway driving at higher speeds but neither does ICE.

If your car was not broken in I would say to wait, mine had a hesitation that has gone away as the engine was used more. But you shouldn't have it now.

·
Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
457 Posts
I agree with what Starboy said. Even if you can't get there right away, I suggest you call the service department ASAP, explain exactly what the problem is and have it documented. Better yet, use text, email or their chat service if they have one so you will have an instant paper trail for the record. If you let it go and it gets worse, Hyundai will want to know why it wasn't addressed sooner and may give you a hard time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update. It took 2 months but I was finally able to get an appointment. They took it for a ride and tried to reproduce the delay while the vehicle was plugged in a diagnostic computer (not sure how its called). Unfortunately they could not reproduce the delay and did not find anything. Since the last post, I experimented quite a bit to find out when the problem occurred. Here is what I found. The delay almost always is present when I go uphill after a full stop. The delay is not in between EV and ICE but after the ICE is on. The RPM is at 1000 and does not go up when I press the pedal until it does and the vehicle moves. Does that mean its is not a clutch delay but more of an injection delay? Why only when going up? I explained all that when I got to the dealership for inspection. Unfortunately, there was too much traffic for them to reach any nearby hill and do the test the way they should have been done. Very frustrating... I will try to go again but to another dealership. Also, the manager said that some Sonata (or was it the Elantra) hybrid also have something like that and while annoying it is normal... What?. If this is normal by design, it is stupid and dangerous, unless it is by incompetence instead of by design. I have add a Prius for 6 years and never had that issue. Given what I described above, it does not seem to be hybrid related anyway but I may be missing something. And I cant stop thinking about the 2016 recall they had. Could this be related?

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
643 Posts
Update. It took 2 months but I was finally able to get an appointment. They took it for a ride and tried to reproduce the delay while the vehicle was plugged in a diagnostic computer (not sure how its called). Unfortunately they could not reproduce the delay and did not find anything. Since the last post, I experimented quite a bit to find out when the problem occurred. Here is what I found. The delay almost always is present when I go uphill after a full stop. The delay is not in between EV and ICE but after the ICE is on. The RPM is at 1000 and does not go up when I press the pedal until it does and the vehicle moves. Does that mean its is not a clutch delay but more of an injection delay? Why only when going up? I explained all that when I got to the dealership for inspection. Unfortunately, there was too much traffic for them to reach any nearby hill and do the test the way they should have been done. Very frustrating... I will try to go again but to another dealership. Also, the manager said that some Sonata (or was it the Elantra) hybrid also have something like that and while annoying it is normal... What?. If this is normal by design, it is stupid and dangerous, unless it is by incompetence instead of by design. I have add a Prius for 6 years and never had that issue. Given what I described above, it does not seem to be hybrid related anyway but I may be missing something. And I cant stop thinking about the 2016 recall they had. Could this be related?
Good summation. As you realize you need to get a dealer to drive exactly like when you get the delay. You might want to mention the words Lemon Law to the first dealer and that they have had one shot at fixing it, that you are not waiting another two months and you want them to drive the car with you, in the manor when it happens. You also may need to contact Hyundai corporate if they don't seem to want to help you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts