Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

we have had our Tucson SEL (not hybrid) for about a month now. I'm planning to have the first oil change done at around 3500 miles. I usually substitute a quart of synthetic oil with Lucas Oil heavy duty oil stabilizer when I go for an oil change for my Rav4, and the engine has been purring along just fine. Would you recommend doing the same with the Tucson?

Joe

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
349 Posts
No way would I. It's obvious to me these newer engines have less tolerances, and I would never take a chance that this or any additive not recommended by Hyundai won't have unintended consequences.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No way would I. It's obvious to me these newer engines have less tolerances, and I would never take a chance that this or any additive not recommended by Hyundai won't have unintended consequences.
That's what I figured. My Rav4 is turning 15 this year, so that's a different story.

·
Registered
Limited PHEV, Quartz White with grey interior
170 Posts
A recent article in (I believe) Consumer Reports mentioned the option of having the oil system flushed at the first oil change to get rid of the fine metal particles from break-in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A recent article in (I believe) Consumer Reports mentioned the option of having the oil system flushed at the first oil change to get rid of the fine metal particles from break-in.
Yes, that's exactly what I'd like to do, but I'm not sure if the dealership will do that. I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say.

·
Registered
Limited PHEV, Quartz White with grey interior
170 Posts
Yes, that's exactly what I'd like to do, but I'm not sure if the dealership will do that. I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say.
There is no requirement to have oil changes performed by the dealer. Just make sure the oil changes are documented in the event of a warranty claim.

·
Registered
349 Posts
That's good to know. I was under the impression that they had to service the vehicle for the warranty to be valid. Thank you.
You need to follow the recommended intervals for maintenance, and have proof it was done but the dealer does not have to be the one to do it. It's a law. You can exceed the schedule as I will for sure for the first oil change, well before 8,000 miles and pay for it myself.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Do a search online for Hyundai engine oil flush.... They don't recommend it. Some who know engines say there is potential to harm the engine and supposedly documented cases. I have no first hand knowledge one way or the other.

With today's synthetics, changed regularly and maybe early for the first oil change I would rely on that and not other measures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do a search online for Hyundai engine oil flush.... They don't recommend it. Some who know engines say there is potential to harm the engine and supposedly documented cases. I have no first hand knowledge one way or the other. With today's synthetics, changed regularly and maybe early for the first oil change I would rely on that and not other measures.
Ok thank you. Yes, I'm planning to get an oil change at 3k for sure. And I'll stop worrying about everything else... I guess I'm just a little nervous since this is my first new car in 15 years 😅 So I want to pamper her as much as possible.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ok thank you. Yes, I'm planning to get an oil change at 3k for sure. And I'll stop worrying about everything else... I guess I'm just a little nervous since this is my first new car in 15 years 😅 So I want to pamper her as much as possible.
We all do it. Things do change overtime what was good once may not be, what was not good now could be. It's worth asking. Never thought I would buy an extended warranty, but as they say, here we are. I did.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Speaking of that, I foolishly declined it when I was signing the paperwork at the dealeship. Do you know if I can get it after the fact and how I can do that?
Yes you can and you can shop around to different Hyundai dealers if yours won't negotiate on the price.
I wouldn't call it foolish you didn't get it. Still debatable if it's worth it or not. Just that for me the debate has changed to it may be worth it given all the electronics. Still depends how long you keep the car though it is transferable so should give more value if you sell.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes you can and you can shop around to different Hyundai dealers if yours won't negotiate on the price.
I wouldn't call it foolish you didn't get it. Still debatable if it's worth it or not. Just that for me the debate has changed to it may be worth it given all the electronics. Still depends how long you keep the car though it is transferable so should give more value if you sell.
I cannot believe that after getting a gazillion spam calls for extended warranties, now I want to buy one for real :LOL:

·
Registered
2022 Black on Black Tucson Hybrid SEL Convenience
46 Posts
Speaking of that, I foolishly declined it when I was signing the paperwork at the dealeship. Do you know if I can get it after the fact and how I can do that?
AND ... I think you can get the warranty as long as you do it at least 30 days before the OEM warranty expires (5 years and ????? miles in the US)

·
Registered
111 Posts
As others mentioned, an 'Engine Flush' is not only completely unnecessary but also holds potential for severe engine damage. Hyundai and every other manufacturer in their right mind would strenuously instruct against it, especially with today's engineering and quality controls. It's pretty important to clear up the distinction between 'oil flush' and a simple 'early oil change' ahead of the first normally scheduled service.

As recommended, I went ahead and did a search online for 'Hyundai oil flush' and sure enough here was the first hit:

Font Document Paper Publication

I'm retired, but even at my age this is the first I've ever heard of replacing all the oil with some chemicals and then running the engine. It reminded me of 'the old days' when a common cheap remedy for freeing up sticking valves was to add a qt. of transmission fluid to the oil and idle the engine for a half hour in the driveway and then change the oil. But this was when an engine needed a valve job every 30,000 miles, but things have advanced quite a bit since.

But what's being called an engine flush seems about the most perfect means of giving any carmaker legitimate reason to voiding their warranty. And reading the snip above about a dealer actually pushing to do that to a brand new car is insane enough to be almost believable (by at least some dealers).

I will be changing the oil and filter in about 200 miles when the odo finally shows 500 miles. And that's really only a nod to the old wives tale from the old days of clearing out any vestige of the manufacturing and assembly process (for so-called 'metal shavings'). The cost of the oil at normal retail is minimal, and note that I found a tiny blurb somewhere in the new car literature that 'Hyundai Prefers Quaker State Products'. So, I'll use only that brand even though it's likely just a cross-branding relationship. I also bought a handful of 'Genuine Hyundai Brand' filter cartridges from the dealer when I took delivery ($12ea. online and $17 at the parts window ;) ).

I'll also be doing all my own subsequent oil changes, and using a more frequent schedule than listed in the manual. But I do have to come up with a way to get the car in to the dealer occasionally to have them do the 'Inspect' portion of their service appointments in order to document that portion of service is being monitored for warranty purposes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will be changing the oil and filter in about 200 miles when the odo finally shows 500 miles. And that's really only a nod to the old wives tale from the old days of clearing out any vestige of the manufacturing and assembly process (for so-called 'metal shavings'). The cost of the oil at normal retail is minimal, and note that I found a tiny blurb somewhere in the new car literature that 'Hyundai Prefers Quaker State Products'. So, I'll use only that brand even though it's likely just a cross-branding relationship. I also bought a handful of 'Genuine Hyundai Brand' filter cartridges from the dealer when I took delivery ($12ea. online and $17 at the parts window ;) ).
Thanks! Would you mind sharing the part number for those filters and where you found them for $12?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Here's the first hit searching numerous online sellers of Hyundai branded parts. There may be others closer to the cheapest I saw 3 months ago:

Product Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

Be mindful MANY online car parts outfits (Amazon included) selling aftermarket stuff much cheaper (often too low to be credible) that intentionally characterize or even mislead listings to appear oem brand. Important not only for quality, but also if (healthily) paranoid about bulletproofing against nuisance of anyone blurting out 'voided warranty' when doing ones own maint.

Happy Shopping

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Be mindful MANY online car parts outfits (Amazon included) selling aftermarket stuff much cheaper (often too low to be credible) that intentionally characterize or even mislead listings to appear oem brand. Important not only for quality, but also if (healthily) paranoid about bulletproofing against nuisance of anyone blurting out 'voided warranty' when doing ones own maint.
That's exactly why I asked. I found it on eBay and Amazon, but 1) the product didn't have that many reviews and 2) the seller seemed sketchy. Thank you for the link, ordered a few.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts