Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
'22 SEL +Convenience +Premium in Intense Blue
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We do a lot of camping as a family, and it's nice to plug in phones or our bluetooth speaker to charge off the car while we're out there. Been camping for a long time, I'm not worried about small devices killing my car battery.

Has anyone installed an always on power source? Any easy taps in the fuse box or is that all switched? I'd love to mod the rear power to be always on but haven't investigated yet, would prefer not to run a wire all the way from the fuse box to the rear hatch if I can avoid it.

Doesn't need to be high amp! Figure there has to be someone that put a dash cam in or something

· Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
815 Posts
I have not made changes in recent years on cars, but what I would do in the past is find the fuse that powers that rear power and then find the wire and move it to a fuse for something always on. Sunvisor lamps for instance, find where they have their fuse and connect there.
I agree with you I would not have a concern charging a couple of cell phones, a tablet etc.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh, been too many years since I had to do this to a car. Great tips! The sunvisor lamps are likely one of the few that stay powered, so I will definitely check that out and report back if I find something.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wanted to update that I figured it out! The front and rear accessory ports are 20A fuses in the panel under the hood, which turned out to be very convenient! They are obviously switched, so I used a Micro-2 "add-a-fuse" in kind of a backwards way to pull from the panel input through the add-a-fuse to the accessory port. Unfortunately because they're right next to each other, you can only add one at a time. I had hoped to make both front and rear ports always on, but can accept this for now.

It's critical this is hooked up the same way, if you flip the add-a-fuse it will backfeed power through the switching unit which possibly could damage the electronics. I loosened the nut on the input (right side of picture, front of Tucson) and put a forked connector in. I was careful not to let the power arc or jump, so although a ring terminal would have been more secure this didn't lose power to any of the control units in the car. I have only one 10A fuse in the holder (placement "B") as I don't need power going through the normal switch. This add on unit was only rated for 10A, which I don't think I'll exceed, so I left a 10A fuse in.

Basically you have power skipping the control unit that switches power on and goes to the power lead on the bottom of the picture (passenger side of Tucson) flowing through the one fuse. If I need to remove it, it's one 10mm socket to loosen the connection and pop in the original fuse. This makes it easy to reverse, no cutting or external wires, everything is contained to the fuse box!

Not at all worried about power draw, I've used similar setups while camping for a decade. Worst case I have a jumper pack in the car, but nothing is plugged into the rear accessory port unless I'm camping anyway so there is no power draw normally.
Electrical wiring Computer hardware Electronic engineering Auto part Circuit component

Hope this helps someone in the future, to do it again I could install in under 5 minutes including crimping wires and using heat shrink. Took more time at the auto parts store trying to locate this darn Micro-2 style fuse. Plenty of options on Amazon (I bought local), here's an example: https://smile.amazon.com/Lumision-CIRCUIT-FUSE-TAP-CIRCUIT-TERMINAL/dp/B00OZGA8O8 plus a simple fork crimp on connector and heat shrink tube or electrical tape.

· Registered
349 Posts
I have not made changes in recent years on cars, but what I would do in the past is find the fuse that powers that rear power and then find the wire and move it to a fuse for something always on. Sunvisor lamps for instance, find where they have their fuse and connect there.
I agree with you I would not have a concern charging a couple of cell phones, a tablet etc.
I can just picture myself trying to do this stuff. My next post would be-“ how do I re-wire my entire car after I fried the entire electrical system😳”!

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very slick!
Thanks! I was so happy how it turned out
I can just picture myself trying to do this stuff. My next post would be-“ how do I re-wire my entire car after I fried the entire electrical system😳”!
Haha, I was trying to picture how I was going to tell my wife that I fried $6k in computers on my car and it won't be able to drive for 6 months until parts come in

1 - 7 of 7 Posts