Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2022 Tucson Hybrid lost all propulsion going 75 mph about 5 hours into a 6.5 hour drive home to Prescott AZ from Zion national park in Utah. Got stranded on Interstate 40 just past Flagstaff AZ. Check Hybrid System message popped up and check engine light was on. Engine raced (cruise control was engaged) and hopefully didn't over rev too bad. Coasted to a stop and had to be towed unfortunately back to Flagstaff as it was closer than our home dealer in Prescott. That said we are thankfull this didn't happen out in the middle of the desert and we were reasonably close to have a friend come pick us up.

We have only 22800 mi on the car and owned it about 17 months. First long trip we've taken in it. Really like the car but knew a buying a first model year was a risk. Satisfaction will depend on how well Hyundai takes care of this and if it can be resolved without a long recurring ordeal. Waiting on dealership who's backed up at least a week to even look at it to diagnose. sigh.

Have seen similar posts on "Check Hybrid System" failures here but none mention that specific code. If anyone has info on it please post a reply. I will update as this goes along to hopefully help others who might have same issue.

The initial failure in this thread does sounds the most similar to what we experienced.
Issues with CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM

· Registered
22Tucson2.5 03TiburonGT
158 Posts
Sad to hear hope they fix it for you under warranty, and they should also compensate you for the emotional stress and anguish if having a new car break down.
Hybrid system failure but shouldn't the gas motor still run?
Is it all connected so one fails they all go down like dominos.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Yes so far, the repairs are being done under warranty. The engine would still run but the entire drive system shut down. That "Check Hybrid System" message seems to be very generic message for anything going wrong. The dealer has ordered parts to fix something inside the transmission. I don't exactly know what. They were backed up and didn't even look at it for a week. Now we're waiting on the parts to arrive so already we are two weeks without the car. It is very possible the parts being replaced in the transmission were not the source of the original problem and this may go on for a while before it's fixed. Time will tell.

I do have a case open with Hyundai Consumer Affairs and they're monitoring the situation and in contact with the dealer. They informed me I won't get any reimbursement except for actual expenses I've had to put out of pocket such as renting a car (the dealer's do not have loaners these days due to limited inventories). That rental reimbursement btw is limited to $60 per day. All of that won't be resolved until after the car is finally fixed and the repair claim is closed. Then I have to file for the reimbursement with Hyundai. It's not an enjoyable process but I understand why it has to be this way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts