Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I'm about to take delivery of my Luxury PHEV early May :) I was wondering since I've seen some PHEV owners say they were getting approx. 2-3 L/100km how we're they achieving that? Is it simply the average they get because they are in EV mode a good percentage of time and only use ICE on occasion? Or is there a way for the car to choose most appropriate mode for max fuel economy.

Thanks for your help! Any other tips would be helpful. I will have a level 2 charger as well.

Oh and consider my question for driving under mild to warm climate conditions. I've made peace with winter performance long ago 馃槉.

Registered
2022 PHEV Ultimate; DeepSea/Grey
Here's my commute data over the last 2 half weeks since my old car retired and my Tucson PHEV is my daily driver. My commute exactly 55km. Almost in the PHEV range (52km).

Pretty much 90% highway and 10% in city. Going down an escarpment to work and going up an escarpment to home.

Rectangle Slope Font Line Parallel

Font Line Slope Pattern Parallel

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow thanks @Thelude !

I imagine then you just have the car set to drive in EV the whole time? Do the modes (smart, eco, sport) factor in to the equation here?

Also I guess you are charging it at work? Would that be on a level 1 or 2 charger?

Registered
1. Yes. EV the whole time. Unless my range is lower (on ride home), I will try to save it for the in city driving.
2. All in Eco. Sport mode has the engine on always. Never tried smart
3. I have level 2 at home and regular outdoor outlet at work. I work 9 hour shifts. And the car says it needs 11-12hours on that level 1 charger when i get to work. Thats why the range hovers between 70-90. Depends if i go for coffee or lunch.

Registered
Here's my commute data over the last 2 half weeks since my old car retired and my Tucson PHEV is my daily driver. My commute exactly 55km. Almost in the PHEV range (52km).

Pretty much 90% highway and 10% in city. Going down an escarpment to work and going up an escarpment to home.

View attachment 925
View attachment 926
馃憤馃徑
Some of that "CC On/Off" would be "cooling" I guess, not only heating.

Registered
I have a question regarding Smart mode vs HEV mode for longer mileage drives (PHEV model).

Which mode would give you the best gas mileage if on a long highway trip; HEV or let the car decide in Smart mode?
Assuming that the PHEV battery is full, and car set into either smart mode of HEV mode?
Also, assuming that the long trip would involve several stop & go, busy, bumper to bumper sections through urban type settings on the highway.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of scenario? What would you recommend?

Registered
I have a question regarding Smart mode vs HEV mode for longer mileage drives (PHEV model).

Which mode would give you the best gas mileage if on a long highway trip; HEV or let the car decide in Smart mode?
Assuming that the PHEV battery is full, and car set into either smart mode of HEV mode?
Also, assuming that the long trip would involve several stop & go, busy, bumper to bumper sections through urban type settings on the highway.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of scenario? What would you recommend?
So HEV will work like a typical hybrid car. It drives on gas. then on ev then back to gas. Back and forth. I notice the range is roughly 2% on the battery. It charges for 2%, switch over to gas until it charges back up 2%. Then back on battery until the 2% is depleted.

I tried smart maybe twice. Since i do mostly highway driving. The smart kept my car in hybrid mode (gas). When i get to work or home. Still has like 75% range on the battery. So its seems its saving the battery for lower speeds. But that does not help me if i have battery left. You always want to drain as much of the battery as its the cheapest cost to run the car.

Registered
2022 Tucson Limited PHEV Amazon Gray / Black. 2022 Tucson SEL PHEV Shimmering Silver / Gray

When battery is low enough it goes to HEV automatically

Registered
1. Yes. EV the whole time. Unless my range is lower (on ride home), I will try to save it for the in city driving.
2. All in Eco. Sport mode has the engine on always. Never tried smart
3. I have level 2 at home and regular outdoor outlet at work. I work 9 hour shifts. And the car says it needs 11-12hours on that level 1 charger when i get to work. Thats why the range hovers between 70-90. Depends if i go for coffee or lunch.
Have you figured out what speed the electric engine no longer helps? I have seen reviews stating that 120kph (75mph) gets you 8-9 L/100km (mid-to-high 20s mpg), but it is unclear to me if this is only when the ICE is running or if it includes the help from the battery as well. I am trying to narrow down highway high-speed mileage on this vehicle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts