Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm actually not a Tucson owner but rather a Santa Cruz owner. Given it has the same center stack, I wanted to come on here and ask you all the following...

I have been very careful to use clean microfiber towels and Windex electronic wipes but somehow have a TON of these fine scratches all over the center stack - mostly on the climate control screen. They are only visible under certain lighting but getting worse all the time.

Anyone else running into this issue? I thought I was being very careful but apparently I'm doing something wrong.

I wonder if a dealer would replace this (assuming not under warranty, but out of my own pocket).

BTW this is after 10k miles and August will be one year of having the car.

Automotive design Font Audio equipment Gadget Material property

Automotive lighting Gadget Automotive exterior Font Gas

I have been using these in addition to clean microfiber towels.

Product Font Personal care Electric blue Service

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
643 Posts
No but two things.
1. I have never used that wipe so can't comment directly about it. But that looks to me like the wipes doing that. Invisible Glass cleaner has proven over many years to be great on any surface with a microfiber cloth. No streaks, no film or hazing left and is safe for Phone screens etc..

2. Did you take off the temporary transport protective plastic cover? I only have 2,000 miles on mine so nothing yet to compare to 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
643 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Ultimate Hybrid White/Grey
190 Posts
This particular piece of plastic is softer than the rest of the panel and scratches very easily. I have very faint scratches that only show up under very bright sunlight but not nearly as bad as yours. You can buy a soft plastic cover for this section off Amazon or AliExpress just don’t buy the hardened glass cover as it does not sit flat over this area. It will cover the scratches and appear much better. You can also apply a complete plastic cover over the entire infotainment section but it is expensive.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Blue Trim
141 Posts
Do you guys think those would really work? I see M17 is in stock at O'Reilleys but M10 is on back order everywhere.

What about this one? Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance
Yes, they will really work. I recently used them on the clear plastic instrument face on my motorcycle and they worked fine. Same type of plastic. I don't have any experience with the other stuff. I think I would buy just the #17 only and use it if you can't find the #10. #17 will do most of the work. The reason your plastic is so heavily scratched is because whatever you were using to clean it is abrasive. Stop using it. I use Egyptian cotton only--the type of cotton used in soft t-shirts.

·
Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
457 Posts
Rectangle Liquid Tablet computer Font Communication Device

Look at the upper left corner of this zoomed in photo. I'll bet if you flick your fingernail under that corner , the plastic protector from the factory will peel off and expose a brand new , unmolested surface.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited USA Market, Amazon Grey/Black With full OEM compact Spare
159 Posts
Hey everyone. I'm actually not a Tucson owner but rather a Santa Cruz owner. Given it has the same center stack, I wanted to come on here and ask you all the following...

I have been very careful to use clean microfiber towels and Windex electronic wipes but somehow have a TON of these fine scratches all over the center stack - mostly on the climate control screen. They are only visible under certain lighting but getting worse all the time.

Anyone else running into this issue? I thought I was being very careful but apparently I'm doing something wrong.

I wonder if a dealer would replace this (assuming not under warranty, but out of my own pocket).

BTW this is after 10k miles and August will be one year of having the car.

View attachment 1196
View attachment 1195

I have been using these in addition to clean microfiber towels.

View attachment 1197
Sure, the dealer will replace anything you want out of warranty for a fee.

Really this is just a "wear" item and not a warranty issue.

It's inevitable with use, cleaning and time.

You can only minimize it.

After you polish the scratches out you can use plastic film to protect and change out when the film gets nasty.

I think the whole waterfall design infotainment system was executed poorly for use.

Form over function amature style.

Looks pretty, but to use it is not.

Keeping it clean is a constant chore.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think the film is still on. A few people mentioned that but I really don't think it's there. I'm going to have our detailer try to polish it a little (he agreed after some hesitation). I bought the protective cover to use once fixed, or if I have to get it replaced.

·
Registered
643 Posts
The first reply was by me, I asked if he took it off after looking at his first pic. Lower right hand corner looks to me like the plastic is coming up just a little bit after enlarging the pic.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The first reply was by me, I asked if he took it off after looking at his first pic. Lower right hand corner looks to me like the plastic is coming up just a little bit after enlarging the pic.
Sky Netbook Output device Television set Gadget

Here is my screen. It is pretty obvious that there is a plastic film on your screen. Just peel it off.
Sky Netbook Output device Television set Gadget

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Ultimate Hybrid White/Grey
190 Posts
View attachment 1213

Here is my screen. It is pretty obvious that there is a plastic film on your screen. Just peel it off. View attachment 1213
There isn’t a plastic film on his screen as there would be a pull tab indication in the film on the upper left corner which clearly his doesn’t have. Removing the factory screen protector may leave adhesive residue from trying to pull it off.

·
Registered
643 Posts
There isn’t a plastic film on his screen as there would be a pull tab indication in the film on the upper left corner which clearly his doesn’t have. Removing the factory screen protector may leave adhesive residue from trying to pull it off.
We can't be sure no question. However we don't know if the Santa Cruz plastic covering is the same or not, granted you would think so. But even more than that my Tucson did not have a place to pick it up in the upper left hand corner. There was a slight spot in the lower right hand corner on mine to lift. Coincidently where in the pic it looks like it could be pulling away. That's alot of damage I suppose the Windex wipes could be too harsh a material.

·
Registered
457 Posts
There are a lot of those plastic films that didn't have pull tabs. I pulled several off that got missed by the dealership. Actually, I think that display was one of them. For sure, the two skinny sides of the center display had no tabs. They were on for quite a while before I realized they were still on. Just look at the photo of my screen vs th one of his in the post just above mine. It is obvious.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I triple checked and there is definitely not a film on the screen. I think in the photos you might just be seeing the space between the actual screen and the surrounding piano black trim. I bought the plastic protective films from Amazon and I'm going to have my detail guy try to polish the scratches out. Stay tuned...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts