Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed the emergency brake seems to automatically set when the Tucson is on a slight grade so as not to put pressure on the transmission when put in P? Seems to have being found it slot lately.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
643 Posts
Mine does not it would appear at least it did not a few days ago.
On a grade a few days ago I had to park the car to get my other one moved and switch places. I realized alot of pressure was on the transmission so I restarted the car put the EEB on then put it park.

If the Auto Hold is on the EEB does engage but after putting it in park so you need to keep your foot on the brake till it kicks in to keep the pressure off the transmission.

·
Registered
643 Posts
The parking brake automatically engages when my Limited ( ICE ) is on an incline ( must have the brake depressed ) and auto disengages when I take it out of park. Yet, another cool feature!
And that's without having Auto Brake on? I'll have to try mine again but it defiantly did not do it automatically on an incline for me.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I had to go out and try it again, not easy finding hills here. :)
I went back to where the other car is there is a hill outside the garage there. Mine does not put the EEB on just by being on a grade. All I can think of is it isn't steep enough to trigger it.

·
Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
457 Posts
It only happened to me once. It was a pretty steep hill and it surprised me when it happened because the only time I don't use the parking brake is in my garage. I was just about to apply the brake and it beat me to the punch.

·
Registered
643 Posts
It only happened to me once. It was a pretty steep hill and it surprised me when it happened because the only time I don't use the parking brake is in my garage. I was just about to apply the brake and it beat me to the punch.
Thanks very likely not enough incline here. I'll find out when I go on a trip in a few weeks where there are actual hilly areas.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks very likely not enough incline here. I'll find out when I go on a trip in a few weeks where there are actual hilly areas.
Yeah, I’m going to start making notes on when the Tucson sets the Parking Brake and report back. I’ve dug up the owners manual to see if it’s noted in there somewhere.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited USA Market, Amazon Grey/Black With full OEM compact Spare
159 Posts
Always auto engaged and auto disengaged while parking on a incline for my Limited.
Nice feature I suppose, but I never used a parking brake for that purpose in all the cars I owned, unless it was stick.

It was called a E brake, or emergency brake, for as one supposes, an emergency of a complete hydraulic brake failure.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Always auto engaged and auto disengaged while parking on a incline for my Limited.
Nice feature I suppose, but I never used a parking brake for that purpose in all the cars I owned, unless it was stick.

It was called a E brake, or emergency brake, for as one supposes, an emergency of a complete hydraulic brake failure.
I did dirt racing many years ago and learned how to drift using the hand brake. (E brake)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Great, I’m very old, old school. The name just stuck. I find it a very cool feature on the Tucson. I keep finding new things this SUV can do all the time😀👍🏻.

·
Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
457 Posts

If you put your car in park on a steep incline, you risk the chance of binding up and possibly breaking the parking pawl in the transmission. When you park on a hill, the whole weight of the car is pushing on a pin that is probably 3/8" in diameter. If you are lucky, you will hear a loud clunk when you try to shift out of park. Worst case is, the pawl breaks or a fuse is blown when the electric shift mechanism gets overworked. In the old days, if the pawl bound up, you could get a friend or two and have them push your car slightly uphill to relieve the weight on the pawl. The best way to prevent that is to apply the parking brake first, then shift to park. Tucson's transmission does that for you when it senses the need. (of course, everybody knows, when you park on a hill, you turn your wheel toward the curb facing downhill and away from the curb facing uphill, as an extra safety precaution). Finally, you can use the parking brake as an emergency brake by simply pulling and holding up the button. "Emergency braking : If there is a problem with the brake pedal while driving, emergency braking is possible by pulling up and holding the EPB switch. Braking is possible only while you are holding the EPB switch. However, braking distance will be longer than normal. During emergency braking, the Parking Brake warning light will illuminate to indicate that the system is operating. "

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you put your car in park on a steep incline, you risk the chance of binding up and possibly breaking the parking pawl in the transmission. When you park on a hill, the whole weight of the car is pushing on a pin that is probably 3/8" in diameter. If you are lucky, you will hear a loud clunk when you try to shift out of park. Worst case is, the pawl breaks or a fuse is blown when the electric shift mechanism gets overworked. In the old days, if the pawl bound up, you could get a friend or two and have them push your car slightly uphill to relieve the weight on the pawl. The best way to prevent that is to apply the parking brake first, then shift to park. Tucson's transmission does that for you when it senses the need.
Good advise!😉

1 - 16 of 16 Posts