Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2022 Tucson I bought in April. It came with a "rear bumper applique" - I didn't want it but they apparently needed my 75 bucks more than I did. After all the dealer add-ons, factory options, tax, title, etc I wasn't all that upset with having something I didn't feel I needed, but now it has started to bubble in the hot Arizona sun - Tucson Arizona no less (funny?). I was wondering if I am the only one with this problem. So far I haven't been able to find any other complaint about it in this forum or web-wide. I have contacted the dealer - no response so far - but don't expect much from them. It is listed under "added features" and the dealer claims these came from the factory.
Mainly, I would like to know if anyone has removed the applique (apparently heat works :) ) and if there is a heavy residue left behind how to remove it. I am worried that if I don't do this soon, it will harden up and be harder to remove. It appears to be just a thick black vinyl which is stuck to the black plastic/vinyl bumper behind the weatherstripping for the hatch - basically not protecting crap as anything you'd load into the cargo area would rest on said weatherstripping.

Attachments

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
651 Posts
I have it, it's FAR more cheaply made than I would have imagined but I bought it sight unseen. I installed it so far so good but we will see. My opinion is it will come up with not much problem but it's just that, an opinion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Should be fine to remove it was added long after the paint dried. I put vinyl stickers on my cars all the time. On the paint or window. They do it super hard after awhile and can be a pain to remove, but they have never hurt the paint. You might need some goo gone to clean it up after, but should be safe to just remove it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a 2022 Tucson I bought in April. It came with a "rear bumper applique" - I didn't want it but they apparently needed my 75 bucks more than I did. After all the dealer add-ons, factory options, tax, title, etc I wasn't all that upset with having something I didn't feel I needed, but now it has started to bubble in the hot Arizona sun - Tucson Arizona no less (funny?). I was wondering if I am the only one with this problem. So far I haven't been able to find any other complaint about it in this forum or web-wide. I have contacted the dealer - no response so far - but don't expect much from them. It is listed under "added features" and the dealer claims these came from the factory.
Mainlyt have a choice), I would like to know if anyone has removed the applique (apparently heat works :) ) and if there is a heavy residue left behind how to remove it. I am worried that if I don't do this soon, it will harden up and be harder to remove. It appears to be just a thick black vinyl which is stuck to the black plastic/vinyl bumper behind the weatherstripping for the hatch - basically not protecting crap as anything you'd load into the cargo area would rest on said weatherstripping.
Interesting…… I have it on mine (didn’t have a choice) hope you follow up with a post to keep us informed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should be fine to remove it was added long after the paint dried. I put vinyl stickers on my cars all the time. On the paint or window. They do it super hard after awhile and can be a pain to remove, but they have never hurt the paint. You might need some goo gone to clean it up after, but should be safe to just remove it.
Thanks. It looks like the material it is applied to (top of bumper) is plastic or vinyl. Not sure why it would even be necessary. Doesn't make it aestetically different except for the small "H" in the corner.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have it, it's FAR more cheaply made than I would have imagined but I bought it sight unseen. I installed it so far so good but we will see. My opinion is it will come up with not much problem but it's just that, an opinion.
Thanks. Because of where it's at, I don't think there's much chance of it being scratched. It looks to me like if I were to try to slide something into the cargo area, I would lean it on the weatherstripping and then slide it in. Other than the small "H" it doesn't stand out more than what should be underneath - same material as bumper (plastic/vinyl?). Hopefully you'll have better luck. The climate in Tampa is HOT too but it's not a "dry heat" like Arizona. Possibly mine was applied incorrectly - surface not clean - or difference in humidity when applied to here is causing it. In any case, I don't see a real value to it; just wanting to know if anybody had same problem and their experience removing it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perfect timing. I was headed to a dealer this afternoon to pick up roof racks and an applique. I came home with only the racks. I agree it's not needed, plus the risk of a (literal) meltdown. Thanks!
To be fair, I left it outside in semi-direct sunlight and it got up to 93 yesterday. Still think it must've been applied wrong. Not very thick though but may have prevented a direct hit scratch. Just don't see how it would be right there anyway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did it look much different without it ?
I didn't remove it yet. Waiting to get the spiel from dealer - maybe they'll give me something of the 75 bucks I gave them. I would even clean and apply another (if it were replaced free) just to see if properly cleaned and dried if it would happen again. Dealer is over 100 miles away - bought it there to save the $3k markup locally. Ultimately, I will take another "after" picture and post it

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL Convenience
96 Posts
I didn't remove it yet. Waiting to get the spiel from dealer - maybe they'll give me something of the 75 bucks I gave them. I would even clean and apply another (if it were replaced free) just to see if properly cleaned and dried if it would happen again. Dealer is over 100 miles away - bought it there to save the $3k markup locally. Ultimately, I will take another "after" picture and post it
Thanks for starting this thread. I'm a fellow "Zonie" in Phoenix and just got my Tucson Hybrid SEL Tuesday night. I just noticed today that same covering over the top of the bumper. I saw nothing in the Maroney sticker about it (which includes port adds), nor was it on the short list of "mandatory" dealer adds, so on mine didn't appear to be any extra charge. I hope you keep us updated and I will be watching mine more closely as well. There is absolutely no reason that a modern car should have heat related exterior defects from sitting outside in 93° sunshine. What's going to happen when it's 110 next week?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tucson has been sitting in the garage since I put her back Wednesday and all but 2 small "bubbles" have disappeared. If it stays this way, I may just live with it. Maybe the material (vinyl I'm guessing) will harden up and it won't happen again - or maybe it will harden, bubble, crack, ?? and be harder to remove. Not sure I should try to be proactive but I'd hate for it to look like crap because of something I never wanted in the first place.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for starting this thread. I'm a fellow "Zonie" in Phoenix and just got my Tucson Hybrid SEL Tuesday night. I just noticed today that same covering over the top of the bumper. I saw nothing in the Maroney sticker about it (which includes port adds), nor was it on the short list of "mandatory" dealer adds, so on mine didn't appear to be any extra charge. I hope you keep us updated and I will be watching mine more closely as well. There is absolutely no reason that a modern car should have heat related exterior defects from sitting outside in 93° sunshine. What's going to happen when it's 110 next week?
It was worth it for me to drive to LH Miller in Peoria. The dealer here wanted $3k "market adjustment" . Dealer experience was excellent - quick and semi-painless. Thankfully we're only supposed to get to 106 next week LOL. I worked in Phoenix (outside) when it was over 100 for 100 days straight - don't miss it.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL Convenience
96 Posts
That dealer you went to was 1 of the first I tried through Costco Auto Buying program. I found them to be rude and unwilling to negotiate on anything - very much a take-it-or-leave-it attitude. I had a much better experience with Chapman Bell Road - MSRP and "only" $1,700 in mandatory dealer adds, which were mostly things I would have considered anyway except for the "paint protection." They were willing to negotiate a little on the price, but I gave it back to them when I upgraded the tint to ceramic. Didn't realize how dark that would be, especially on the rear window, but I'll get used to it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just to update - I removed the applique the other day as it had been in the sun again and had more bubbles. It came off easily since it was hot and the bumper surface underneath was basically the same. So, as I assumed, it was less than useless. Still would like to know if somehow I am the only one with this problem. I know there are many more Tucson owners in Arizona and other places that get hot. But maybe it's just me - again.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
651 Posts
Just to update - I removed the applique the other day as it had been in the sun again and had more bubbles. It came off easily since it was hot and the bumper surface underneath was basically the same. So, as I assumed, it was less than useless. Still would like to know if somehow I am the only one with this problem. I know there are many more Tucson owners in Arizona and other places that get hot. But maybe it's just me - again.
So far no bubbling here at or above 90's every day. But that is a very cheap material.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So far no bubbling here at or above 90's every day. But that is a very cheap material.
Hope it stays that way. Maybe I just got one with bad adhesive or it was put on when wet or not clean. Even though I can't see why the bumper would get scratched in that small area, it may still be in my future. By then maybe there will be sturdier alternatives and/ or something (like a plate) to cover it. Hell, black duct tape would be better in my case LOL.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Mainly, I would like to know if anyone has removed the applique (apparently heat works :) ) and if there is a heavy residue left behind how to remove it. I am worried that if I don't do this soon, it will harden up and be harder to remove. It appears to be just a thick black vinyl which is stuck to the black plastic/vinyl bumper behind the weatherstripping for the hatch - basically not protecting crap as anything you'd load into the cargo area would rest on said weatherstripping.
If you haven’t already, check with your dealer to see if it’s covered after such a short time .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That dealer you went to was 1 of the first I tried through Costco Auto Buying program. I found them to be rude and unwilling to negotiate on anything - very much a take-it-or-leave-it attitude. I had a much better experience with Chapman Bell Road - MSRP and "only" $1,700 in mandatory dealer adds, which were mostly things I would have considered anyway except for the "paint protection." They were willing to negotiate a little on the price, but I gave it back to them when I upgraded the tint to ceramic. Didn't realize how dark that would be, especially on the rear window, but I'll get used to it.
I emailed Chapman early on - seemed like they had about that much in dealer costs along with mandatory Hyundai addons. I was happy to get around donating 3k to the dealer here in "market adjustment". I didn't try to haggle with LHM; they seemed nice/gave me more than I expected for my trade-in. Most of what Miller added was something I may have paid extra for anyway Just had $500 for VTA (vehicle theft assistance) which is basically etching the door panels and windows to ID the vehicle for recovery or if stolen and not recovered , $5,000 refund above what insurance pays. So, 10 to 1 payout for a 1 in 4000 chance - non -negotiable like you said. No joy on any help now that I have the vehicle home though - in particular with this $75 waste of money. I'm happy without it, but would be happier with my 75 bucks LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts