Hyundai Tucson Forum banner

Calling all owners with tow bars installed

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  MLS 
#1 ·
Hi all, do any of you have a tow bar installed to your car.
I have contacted westfillia and the car would need a switch in the cabin to turn off the rear sensors
when using the trailer.

The questian I have for you is where does the switch go and do you have a photo of it please.

Jools

#3 ·
Hi I just read them all thanks you,

Does this mean if I have a oem wiring loam with a trailer on the rear there will be a warning of sorts.
or is there a kit out these that you just plug in?

I like the idea of not removing the rear bumper to install the tow bar very neat.

Jools

#4 ·
I don't know, that's why I tossed the question out there to forum participants. I installed the Class 3 Drawtite receiver hitch (the Curt was back ordered) and it was 6 bolts, a little awkward (but super easy for me using a floor jack to support it - and be sure to remove the rear splash plate or the hitch won't fit), and the harness was super easy, yes it just plugs in, too (everything from eTrailer.com, excellent company) and all at a fraction of the cost of OEM (I saved at least $500). I trimmed the removed splash plate - just cut it straight across - and put it back in for a little extra protection.

I have NOT trailered or used my bike rack yet, so I'm hoping someone who has will share their experience with respect to the rear sensors, etc.

#5 ·
Just posted a response in the Curt Hitch and Trailer Wiring, but here it is again...
The Rear Collision Sensors do come on when you have something in the tow hitch. I tried a bike rack (with and without a bike) and a boat trailer with the wire harness plugged in (I have the Hyundai OEM wire harness). In every case, when I put the car in reverse, the collision warning comes on with the tone. It is fine though, I can still back up (yes I tried). I don't spend a lot of time in reverse, so I can live with the tone. No need to add a switch to disable the rear parking sensors.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Vehicle registration plate

Car Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle Plant

Mode of transport Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gadget Cameras & optics

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

Vehicle Gadget Mode of transport Air travel Asphalt

#8 ·
Just posted a response in the Curt Hitch and Trailer Wiring, but here it is again...
The Rear Collision Sensors do come on when you have something in the tow hitch. I tried a bike rack (with and without a bike) and a boat trailer with the wire harness plugged in (I have the Hyundai OEM wire harness). In every case, when I put the car in reverse, the collision warning comes on with the tone. It is fine though, I can still back up (yes I tried). I don't spend a lot of time in reverse, so I can live with the tone. No need to add a switch to disable the rear parking sensors.
View attachment 558
View attachment 559
View attachment 560
View attachment 561
View attachment 562
You have all the toys! Can I come over and play?

#9 ·
I just had a Curt tow bar and wiring installed here in CT. $375 for parts and $90 labor. Well worth having someone else do it in this single digit weather. With a rack and bikes on it does trigger the backup warning-easy enough to ignore. The Thule T2 Pro rack will fold back enough to be out of the way of the rear hatch opening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.