Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Limited PHEV, Quartz White with grey interior
170 Posts
My 22 SEL Convenience Premium package Tucson comes with a traditional incandescent light, and it's super dim in the cargo area. I think possibly all models come with this, a strange omission considering how many LED's there are on this thing.

I purchased these lights based on a Facebook post, they fit, and are a HUGE upgrade in the amount of light in the cargo area. Not blinding, not a weird color, they match everything else on the car perfectly! Replacement is easy, just use a trim tool or small blade screwdriver to pop out the light module, then pop off the white cover. It's a 31mm Festoon light that does not matter for polarity.

Seriously, 5 minutes tops for less than $15, super easy upgrade.

View attachment 428
Quick update to the OP.

Insert your pry tool on the long edge. The assembly will pop out at the top.

Unless you are working with the liftgate down and the light off, that sucker will the HOT when you first pop it out. Ask me how I know. Disconnect the wiring and let it cool down.

·
Registered
Limited PHEV, Quartz White with grey interior
170 Posts
That's so awesome to hear they were helpful! I'm still happy with the one I put in, easy upgrade. Word of warning, I put those in the vanity lights in my last car and they were so bright my wife complained every time she used them at night :)

If you're into LED's, I bought these to replace my backup light and turn signals. They're still in my trunk, waiting for a warm day to install, but the NX4 Facebook group just LOVES these lights. They say they're safer for turn signals, and backup camera is clearer because of how bright they are.
Thanks to your post, I (prudently) asked my wife's opinion on the vanity bulb upgrade. She vetoed it.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited USA Market, Amazon Grey/Black With full OEM compact Spare
86 Posts
I did the reverse, signal and cargo LED light upgrades a while back. Made a huge difference as expected.
I stopped at the vanity mirror lights due to install I did in my 2021 Kona.
The LED lights were counter intuitive.
Blinding bright and color temperature is useless for women [or men I suppose today] who want to check or apply face paint.

I will note this, the cargo light is inadequate as designed with the OEM bulb. An obvious cost saving implication. I may just install a mirror image on the other side and install another LED bulb if I get board.
The light assy. is 25USD and would make it symmetrical.
Easy DIY job for the mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did the reverse, signal and cargo LED light upgrades a while back. Made a huge difference as expected.
Blinding bright and color temperature is useless for women [or men I suppose today] who want to check or apply face paint.

I will note this, the cargo light is inadequate as designed with the OEM bulb. An obvious cost saving implication. I may just install a mirror image on the other side and install another LED bulb if I get board.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited USA Market, Amazon Grey/Black With full OEM compact Spare
86 Posts
I’ll have to look back through the forum for the reverse and turn signal upgrades. Were the bulbs hard to get to?
Hard, is a subjective term.

Not something everyone could do, but it's not impossible.

·
Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
332 Posts

Why put a light at the bottom of the cargo area? They picked the worst location imaginable. I would guess that 99% of SUVS have switched overhead lights in the cargo area, like my 2011 Honda Element.

Vehicle Car Automotive mirror Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
86 Posts
Why put a light at the bottom of the cargo area? They picked the worst location imaginable. I would guess that 99% of SUVS have switched overhead lights in the cargo area.

View attachment 1080
Not sure why, but the side light is better in my view that it shines on the area better without casting a over head shadow.

Why Hyundai stopped short of just one side is most likely a cost saving measure.

Most SUV's do this also.

My 70k 22 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland has the light on the side also.

·
Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
332 Posts
Not sure why, but the side light is better in my view that it shines on the area better without casting a over head shadow.

Why Hyundai stopped short of just one side is most likely a cost saving measure.

Most SUV's do this also.

The light works as long as there is nothing stored anywhere near the light, otherwise the light gets blocked. On a recent trip with the area loaded with suitcases I had to use the flashlight on my phone to find anything. I can understand a lower light as long as there is an overhead also. That single light is useless with a loaded cargo area.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
349 Posts

Most SUV's do this also.

Did not like the overhead - as soon as Ieaned in it was blocked and or there were shadows. This side light is better assuming you put an LED bulb in. As everyone says one on each side would be the real way to go.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Of course and other options I have seen. But for me I'm not interested enough since that light with the LED is fine for me.

·
Registered
2022 Ultimate HEV
161 Posts
A bunch of guys did it on KonaForums

·
Registered
349 Posts
Some great ideas.
In another forum I saw the person decided to put a battery powered motion light on the other side, and for those times he needs it use it figuring the battery will last a long time not getting daily use. A quick wave and lights for a time unless it continues to see motion. The motion can be turned off if wanted. It was not dependent on darkness.

·
Registered
86 Posts
A bunch of guys did it on KonaForums
That's a hack job, to me the means dosen't justify the end, but it does get the job done.

Many ways to skin a cat. I guess.

For 25USD or so I would just get the OEM lamp and cut it in the other side if I spent much time back there in the dark.

Wouldn't take to much skill, but I can understand some don't have the tools, skill or know how.

It would look OEM factory designed and no one would even think otherwise unless comparing another Tucson cargo area seeing only one light.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree, as far as an 'oem permanent' solution is concerend. But, that surface mount treatment can't be beat for a 'surface mount with no 'Genuine Hyundai Housing' markup, quite bright lumens and again, non-penetrative surface mount installation with only a 3/16" offending exposed wiring' that sure hits the mark, - especially if the owner's about the only one to be poking around back there and noticing it.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL Convenience
79 Posts
I just put this in my factory cargo light and this is about double the lumens of OP. I can actually see the whole cargo area in my garage now.

I ordered these from Aliexpress for those times when the single light just doesn't cut it.

They're relatively low profile & can either hide behind the rear pillars, centered behind the little bump out at the top of the hatch, or farther in above the rear windows. The nice thing is that they have individual switches so you can turn them on/off independently.

·
Registered
111 Posts
21 - 40 of 40 Posts