Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a passenger with an iPhone is connected to CarPlay and using their phone to scroll through Instagram, Twitter, YouTube or another app, my Tucson Hybrid will abruptly interrupt the audio coming from terrestrial or satellite radio as though it’s about to switch to an audio signal from CarPlay. Nothing actually plays. The screen says CarPlay running. Does anyone know how to prevent it from allowing an CarPlay connection to interrupt what’s playing? I want to tell it when to switch audio sources, not do it automatically.

·
Registered
Hybrid Limited
148 Posts
If a passenger with an iPhone is connected to CarPlay and using their phone to scroll through Instagram, Twitter, YouTube or another app, my Tucson Hybrid will abruptly interrupt the audio coming from terrestrial or satellite radio as though it’s about to switch to an audio signal from CarPlay. Nothing actually plays. The screen says CarPlay running. Does anyone know how to prevent it from allowing an CarPlay connection to interrupt what’s playing? I want to tell it when to switch audio sources, not do it automatically.
Hi there, let's see if it can be addressed.
You didn't provide some information - so, I would be "poking around" a little bit.
You have Tucson Hybrid but is it Limited ( wired CarPlay/Android Auto connection) or lower trim ( wireless CarPlay/Android Auto connection)?
If you have wired CarPlay - then as soon as your passenger plugs iPhone into USB port close to the driver ( which is data port) - infotainment system will automatically switch to the iPhone ( if car default settings were set that way or already were that way from the day one) - it will take over your car audio system.
If you have wireless CarPlay and that particular iPhone was already set as the CarPlay source and, in addition, has box checked to start CarPlay automatically - this will take over your car audio system.
Based on the description you provided, it looks like passenger actually has no need for the data port ( USB port close to the driver) use and as such - should plug it's iPhone into USB port close to the passenger - it will keep iPhone charged but would have no affect on car audio system, whatsoever.
But if your goal is to have passenger iPhone to be plugged into the data port ( or have connected to car CarPlay wirelessly) because at some point you want to switch between different sources at your will - I think this cannot be done "on the fly" - only by parking the car and changing/disabling CarPlay function in infotainment settings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. It’s the 2022 SEL Convenience and I’m talking about a wireless connection. I don’t want to be able to switch on the fly between two IPhones. I just want the passenger to be able to use their phone without affecting the audio that’s already playing independently of their phone on the entertainment system. Yes their phone is one of the CarPlay connected phones, but that shouldn’t mean it just interrupts whatever is playing.

·
Registered
Hybrid Limited
148 Posts
Thanks for the response. It’s the 2022 SEL Convenience and I’m talking about a wireless connection. I don’t want to be able to switch on the fly between two IPhones. I just want the passenger to be able to use their phone without affecting the audio that’s already playing independently of their phone on the entertainment system. Yes their phone is one of the CarPlay connected phones, but that shouldn’t mean it just interrupts whatever is playing.
OK, there would be two reasons, that I can think of, that WILL interrupt whatever is playing;
  • passenger's iPhone is added to the same driver profile that already has one iPhone added ( I assume it would be your iPhone in your profile). Either remove passenger iPhone from your own profile and/or create passenger own profile ( second driver or Guest, perhaps)
  • If phone is configured to auto start when car starts ( it is in a car settings and, probably, somewhere in iPhone CarPlay settings as well - I have Android phone, so - cannot clearly say where to look in iPhone settings) - as soon as that iPhone will establish connection, it will take over your audio system. Disable CarPlay auto start for that iPhone.

·
Registered
'22 SEL +Convenience +Premium in Intense Blue
136 Posts
OK, there would be two reasons, that I can think of, that WILL interrupt whatever is playing;
  • passenger's iPhone is added to the same driver profile that already has one iPhone added ( I assume it would be your iPhone in your profile). Either remove passenger iPhone from your own profile and/or create passenger own profile ( second driver or Guest, perhaps)
  • If phone is configured to auto start when car starts ( it is in a car settings and, probably, somewhere in iPhone CarPlay settings as well - I have Android phone, so - cannot clearly say where to look in iPhone settings) - as soon as that iPhone will establish connection, it will take over your audio system. Disable CarPlay auto start for that iPhone.
Convenience package doesn't have profiles, those aren't an option on the 8" screen we have.

I can say Android Auto doesn't do this (or I'm like 99% positive it doesn't), but if I'm listening to something streaming from my phone then a passenger plays a video on facebook it will. Might be something inherent to Carplay?

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
643 Posts
Yes it means exactly that. The whole idea of Carplay and AA is not to be using your phone with your hands. Don't let their phone connect automatically to the system with Carplay and the issue will go away.

·
Registered
Hybrid Limited
148 Posts
Convenience package doesn't have profiles, those aren't an option on the 8" screen we have.

I can say Android Auto doesn't do this (or I'm like 99% positive it doesn't), but if I'm listening to something streaming from my phone then a passenger plays a video on facebook it will. Might be something inherent to Carplay?
Oops! Didn't take into consideration that SEL doesn't have profiles ( didn't even know, sorry).
Then, I would think, that as long as two phones ( and I don't think it makes any difference if those are iPhones or Android phones or a mix of both) are configured in car settings to have ability connect automatically to the car infotainment system - there always would be a possibility that a "secondary" phone will try to "grab" Bluetooth connection or Wi-Fi connection.
I can only add that while I have Limited with wired connection, I have been using wireless dongle ( Ottocast U2-X) and it uses both connections ( Bluetooth and Wi-Fi) to achieve what it should do ( and does it quite well, no complains). As I mentioned before, I think that only option to get around this "interference" between a "primary" and "secondary" phones - disable "secondary" iPhone auto start in CarPlay settings on iPhone ( I hope such settings exists - it is on Android phone in Android Auto settings).
Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
'22 SEL +Convenience +Premium in Intense Blue
136 Posts
@GeneKey no worries! Models are confusing, just trying to clarify. The official wireless Android Auto in our 8" models (I assume Car Play too) uses bluetooth for audio/calls, and WiFi for screen sharing too. It's a pretty interesting technology

@JB3856 as I re-read your post, are there two phones connected to car play and it's jumping between them? Or the passenger is using the main phone connected to the car and it's switching? If you have to phones, could you disconnect one? I don't think there is a magic setting unfortunately, I think that's just the design.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts