Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. I’ve had my Tucson phev since March it’s been great. My only issue is charging at home. I’m using an extension cord because the outlet (110v) is on the side of the house. I’ve read enough stories lately about ev / plug in battery fires etc. Bottom line I’m looking at a charging station. The wife may get an EV so it just makes more sense than getting a little outdoor socket relocated. My panel is from 89 it’s original. It’s full. I received advice and a quote from a company to add a twin breaker on the panel. I know literally nothing about electricity. Anyone here have any experience with charging stations? Is adding a a “twin” breaker a good idea? Sharing a breaker with an EV charger? He suggested Techno i32 which is a Qc company. Anyone have any experience with these stations? Any help or comments would be appreciated. Cheers

·
Registered
Limited PHEV, Quartz White with grey interior
258 Posts
Don't know if this might be helpful and/or reassuring. Works fine with a (protected) circuit at 12 amps.

With the full panel and/or NEC calculations, an electrician might say you need to upgrade your panel or service. Here is some information.

There are devices available that automatically toggle between an existing 220 circuit (usually a clothes dryer, which is only used intermittently and usually not overnight) and an EVSE.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I’m not sure I understand all of that. Maybe I should reach for another opinion. What I get so far is yes it’s possible. Yes you can use these tandem breakers. But it means the electrician moving/ combining breakers if I understand. The panel is full and has been added through the years mainly previous owner. And added all over the map some of it doesn’t make sense… but it all works. Never had issues. I’m worried adding 1 more big ticket item to it would cause a mess. But what’s the alternative? Change the entire panel and get into an even bigger bill?🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
Limited PHEV, Quartz White with grey interior
258 Posts
I suggest Googling "EVSE dryer toggle switch" and then showing all this information (including above links) to an electrician. He/she can then discuss options with you, including staying with 120 volt charging.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts