Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, owner of a 22 Tuscon Hybrid Limited here. Im planning on traveling to Mount Washington this labor day weekend and was wondering if my Tucson will be able to drive up and down the mountain. Has anyone had any experience or been to mount Washington in their Tuscon? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

· Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
492 Posts
If you had a 60's VW bus I would say stay away but with a 180 hp engine it will be a walk in the park. You might want to put it in sport mode and manually shift if your transmission starts hunting for the right gear. I have never been to Mt. Washington, but I imagine you will rarely be in EV mode on the way up and get astounding gas mileage on the way down. Enjoy the trip!

· Registered
Montreal, QC
413 Posts
I would install a winch in front of your Tucson, make sure you have a long cable and if it doesn t make it(climb) attach the cable to a tree and it will pull your Tucson. Guaranteed you'll make to the top. LOL

· Registered
2022 Tucson Preferred
74 Posts
You might want to put it in sport mode and manually shift if your transmission starts hunting for the right gear
Definitely this. I don't know if sport mode would do anything at all since it just changes shifting, and being in manual negates that. Climbing up a mountain in my Kona was rough in Auto, smelled clutch within a minute, switched to manual, and it felt much better, and I knew I wasn't causing extra wear.

· Registered
Limited PHEV, Quartz White with grey interior
309 Posts
Definitely this. I don't know if sport mode would do anything at all since it just changes shifting, and being in manual negates that. Climbing up a mountain in my Kona was rough in Auto, smelled clutch within a minute, switched to manual, and it felt much better, and I knew I wasn't causing extra wear.
Does your Kona have a CVT? The Tucson HEV has a 6-speed.

· Registered
492 Posts
In sport mode, the transmission will hold the shift when you change manually. In all other modes, it will switch back to automatic shifting after about 20 seconds. Unless your Kona is a 2020 with the base engine, it has a different transmission, either a 7 speed dual clutch, which would explain the smell or a cvt.

· Registered
Montreal, QC
413 Posts
I had my Murano serviced and they gave a KONA 2022, when going uphill, you go into manual and go in lower gear. My Murano is a v6 3.5L cvt and I go into manual on such occasion. Nothing wrong, if you've driven a Manual transmission, you would do that automatically. Now if you're going uphill for miles I think I would take a break while going uphill with a Kona. Even Manual on first, your trans and engine would heat up. Prudence, it s your car.

· Registered
2022 Tucson Preferred
74 Posts
In sport mode, the transmission will hold the shift when you change manually. In all other modes, it will switch back to automatic shifting after about 20 seconds. Unless your Kona is a 2020 with the base engine, it has a different transmission, either a 7 speed dual clutch, which would explain the smell or a cvt.
Interesting, I will have to try this out. I would assume even with non DCT transmissions, hunting for gears, and constant shifting would not be good for the xmission.

· Registered
2022 Tucson Preferred
74 Posts
I had my Murano serviced and they gave a KONA 2022, when going uphill, you go into manual and go in lower gear. My Murano is a v6 3.5L cvt and I go into manual on such occasion. Nothing wrong, if you've driven a Manual transmission, you would do that automatically. Now if you're going uphill for miles I think I would take a break while going uphill with a Kona. Even Manual on first, your trans and engine would heat up. Prudence, it s your car.
Yeah this was a logging "road" up the side of the mountain, I was all over the gears based on condition, and the speed I could get up to. Thankfully it was only about 6km of driving, so no issues with heat.

· Registered
492 Posts
7 spd DCT.
Pretty much all dual clutch transmissions have issues when pushed hard. I don't know exactly how yours works but with my 6 speed hybrid, if you manually shift in any other mode but sport, the transmission will revert to automatic shifting after about 20 seconds or so unless you manually shift again. I don't know if the ICE's 7 speed works the same way but it I don't think it's a dual clutch.

· Registered
2022 Tucson Preferred
74 Posts
Pretty much all dual clutch transmissions have issues when pushed hard. I don't know exactly how yours works but with,
my 6 speed hybrid, if you manually shift in any other mode but sport, the transmission will revert to automatic shifting after about 20 seconds or so unless you manually shift again. I don't know if the ICE's 7 speed works the same way but it is not a dual clutch.
Not too sure, in my Kona it stays in manual, but I haven't tested the Tucson (2.5 ICE, 8Spd) much as it is pretty rough when shifting with manual mode, and is rarely needed as I can just switch to mud or sand mode and it will bump down a gear or two respectively.

· Registered
492 Posts
Not too sure, in my Kona it stays in manual, but I haven't tested the Tucson (2.5 ICE, 8Spd) much as it is pretty rough when shifting with manual mode, and is rarely needed as I can just switch to mud or sand mode and it will bump down a gear or two respectively.
Oh yeah, 8 speed, thanks for reminding me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts