Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL Convenience Hybrid AWD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently received my 2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL. I was driving on the freeway to the airport at 6PM and noticed the illumination levels on the instrument cluster (and android auto screen) when from light to dark, and then back to light several times during the trip. This was an issue because I had sunglasses on, and when the cluster went dark, it was kind of hard to read.

I'm thinking this is something related to the day/night sensor and some feature where dark mode is implemented automatically at night. This was 3 hours before sunset, so it wasn't an issue with the outside being dark.

I'm not a fan of the experience and have two questions:
1. Do others experience this
2. Has anyone found a solution to cause the displays to not change as frequently or at all?

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
643 Posts
Assuming you have the same settings I do, turn off the auto lights if it changes too much for you. Change the infotainment system to only be day or turn off that it changes with the dash. Change the level of light when it's dark and the level off light when it's light.
Mine changes no differently than any other car I have had - if I happen to be in an overly dark area maybe due to shade, tropical downpours with dark clouds, a garage, etc. they will dim. But 99% of the time they change one time, when it's dark enough at night or bright enough in the morning.

Look in the manual about the lights you may get some ideas from that.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Ultimate
42 Posts
I've recently received my 2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL. I was driving on the freeway to the airport at 6PM and noticed the illumination levels on the instrument cluster (and android auto screen) when from light to dark, and then back to light several times during the trip. This was an issue because I had sunglasses on, and when the cluster went dark, it was kind of hard to read.

I'm thinking this is something related to the day/night sensor and some feature where dark mode is implemented automatically at night. This was 3 hours before sunset, so it wasn't an issue with the outside being dark.

I'm not a fan of the experience and have two questions:
1. Do others experience this
2. Has anyone found a solution to cause the displays to not change as frequently or at all?
I am used to cars with auto headlights, if you're driving into dark areas like tunnels or under bridges it's normal for the headlights to turn on. When headlights turn on, the display brightness is reduced like all other cars do.

That said, I haven't noticed anything different about how the cluster brightness works. It's not dimming and brightening independent of the auto headlights. Maybe what you're experiencing is different than the headlights turning on and off.

·
Registered
2022 Ultimate HEV
214 Posts
When headlights turn on, the display brightness is reduced like all other cars do.
False. The daytime brightness is set to full brightness. if your night time brightness is also set to full, then there is no reduction.
The reduction is typical because almost everyone finds full brightness too bright in dark scenarios.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL Convenience Hybrid AWD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone. I'm familiar with the system from a previous (2017 Elantra). That would brighen/dim when I would expect it to. e.g. day/night/storms/tunnels.
What I was experiencing was something quite different and indicative of much greater (or is it lesser?) sensitivity.

I'll review the manual and try to find where the sensor is and make sure there isn't something obstructing it. I'll also make sure the windshield is clean.
I'll also try w/out the auto headlights on to see if that helps.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Ultimate
42 Posts
False. The daytime brightness is set to full brightness. if your night time brightness is also set to full, then there is no reduction.
The reduction is typical because almost everyone finds full brightness too bright in dark scenarios.
I never said it wasn't possible to change the brightness settings when the headlights were turned on.

By default (factory settings), the Tucson reduces brightness when the headlights are on, that's not a false statement.

It is good to know there are settings you can change so that doesn't happen, thanks for informing us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem on my 22 PHEV SEL. Driving along and the illumination lighting on both the dash instrument panel and the Media screen go dark and then maybe 30 seconds later go back to being lit or bright. Everything still works like the radio or speedometer but if it is at night you can't see the dash or screen. If it is daylight you can still see it, but dimly. Potentially Dangerous.

Basically this lighting is controlled by what we used to call the Dimmer switch (for the dash) in the past. Currently it is accesed by the steering wheel settings button to User / Lights / Illumination / 0 to 20 illumination range adjustment. My car was set by default to 9 which is medium brightness, 20 being the brightest. So this is the category of the problem. The question is what triggers it and how does the dealer fix it.

My dealer said couldn't fix it and as couldn't diagnosis it and hence can't order a part or get paid to fix it. I suspect the cause is a loose connection in the board or wiring connected to that "dimmer control" and road bumps or vibration trigger it off and on. I need to get the dealer to test drive the car and see for themselves the flickering off and on as it won't happen with the car stationary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts