Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have now read about various problems that have occurred but I wonder what proportion of owners that represents? I would love to hear from those that are still quite happy after months of driving. It would make me feel better about my choice during the long months of waiting for delivery.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We have now read about various problems that have occurred but I wonder what proportion of owners that represents? I would love to hear from those that are still quite happy after months of driving. It would make me feel better about my choice during the long months of waiting for delivery.
Hope I don’t jinx myself. We have the 22 Tucson Hybrid Limited. About to turn 7,000 miles today. Have had since May and not a single issue. Averaging 36.9 MPG per the computer read out over that time. Last tank 42.5 MPG. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
2022 Black on Black Tucson Hybrid SEL Convenience
5 Posts

2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL Convenience
It's all good over here as well. Just bumped 2000 miles and it's better than I expected, and I expected a lot! Not a single issue.
Hopefully the problems we read about are average for any mass produced item. I have my concerns about things like carbon build up on a GDI engine, but all makes have that issue.

Good Luck to you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Traded my beloved Acura RSX of 19 years and 221000 miles for this new Tucson hybrid blue. It's amazing how far automotive technology has advanced in that time. I've had my Tucson Hybrid Blue for about 6 months and 6500 miles. I've had some minor problems but the honeymoon is still on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got an update from Hyundai Canada. I ordered on August 31. The car is 178th on the "priority list", whatever that is, and will be built in December. I guess I won't see it until February.

·
Registered
45 Posts
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL Convenience
It's all good over here as well. Just bumped 2000 miles and it's better than I expected, and I expected a lot! Not a single issue.
Hopefully the problems we read about are average for any mass produced item. I have my concerns about things like carbon build up on a GDI engine, but all makes have that issue.

Good Luck to you!
I would not be concerned with carbon buildup on this engine. I had the 1.6 Turbo on my 2016 Tucson. My son in law now has it and never had an issue. Also the new engine are called "smart stream" engines. What this means is the engine have "Direct Injection" for high rpms and" Multi Port" for low rpms. Most Carbon will develop at low rpms and not at higher rpms. This is the system my wife's 2018 Lexus NX300 has.

·
Registered
2022 Black on Black Tucson Hybrid SEL Convenience
5 Posts
I would not be concerned with carbon buildup on this engine. I had the 1.6 Turbo on my 2016 Tucson. My son in law now has it and never had an issue. Also the new engine are called "smart stream" engines. What this means is the engine have "Direct Injection" for high rpms and" Multi Port" for low rpms. Most Carbon will develop at low rpms and not at higher rpms. This is the system my wife's 2018 Lexus NX300 has.
Thanks for the info, I still have not found any literature stating that the turbo has other than GDI fuel delivery. If you have a technical paper please share it. I would really like to think that we have multiport, but everything I have found points to GDI only.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the info, I still have not found any literature stating that the turbo has other than GDI fuel delivery. If you have a technical paper please share it. I would really like to think that we have multiport, but everything I have found points to GDI only.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dual Fuel Injection + Center Injection

GDi (Gasoline Direct injection) and MPi (Multi-Port injection) each has its pros and cons. GDi applies compressed fuel directly to the cylinder, and its precision of injection provides high power output and good fuel economy at low engine load. The cons are noise and vibration at relatively low speeds and, because the fuel might not mix well with the air, relatively high emissions of PM matter. Compared to GDi, MPi is freer from noise and vibration concerns, but it is generally worse in power output and fuel economy.

Hyundai Motor Group’s new Dual Fuel Injection system comes with two injectors, one GDi and the other MPi, for each cylinder, taking advantage of the pros of both injector types. For low-to-mid speed everyday driving, the system uses the MPi injector; for high-speed driving in highways or expressways, the system uses the GDi injector. Such optimization of fuel injection type to the driving conditions has led to an improvement in both performance and fuel economy.

Moreover, in an arrangement called Center Injection, the GDi injector has been moved to the center of the combustion chamber to produce the optimally efficient air/fuel ratio. The injector at the center is now closer to the spark plug, which allows it to particularize its injection strategies. For example, injecting a tiny amount of fuel near the spark plug right before the ignition can instantaneously facilitate the mixing of the air/fuel in the chamber and best achieve the optimal desired air/fuel ratio.

This, in turn, leads to faster combustion that contributes to improved performance and fuel economy. Finally, the injector being placed at the center better allows for symmetrical injection patterns that help reduce the amount of wall wetting (the phenomenon in which the fuel adheres to the chamber walls).

*Models with Dual Fuel Injection: Smartstream G2.5 GDi / T-GDi
*Models with Dual Fuel Injection + Center Injection: Smartstream G3.5 GDi / T-GDi

High Tumble Combustion System (HTCS)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dual Fuel Injection + Center Injection

GDi (Gasoline Direct injection) and MPi (Multi-Port injection) each has its pros and cons. GDi applies compressed fuel directly to the cylinder, and its precision of injection provides high power output and good fuel economy at low engine load. The cons are noise and vibration at relatively low speeds and, because the fuel might not mix well with the air, relatively high emissions of PM matter. Compared to GDi, MPi is freer from noise and vibration concerns, but it is generally worse in power output and fuel economy.

Hyundai Motor Group’s new Dual Fuel Injection system comes with two injectors, one GDi and the other MPi, for each cylinder, taking advantage of the pros of both injector types. For low-to-mid speed everyday driving, the system uses the MPi injector; for high-speed driving in highways or expressways, the system uses the GDi injector. Such optimization of fuel injection type to the driving conditions has led to an improvement in both performance and fuel economy.

Moreover, in an arrangement called Center Injection, the GDi injector has been moved to the center of the combustion chamber to produce the optimally efficient air/fuel ratio. The injector at the center is now closer to the spark plug, which allows it to particularize its injection strategies. For example, injecting a tiny amount of fuel near the spark plug right before the ignition can instantaneously facilitate the mixing of the air/fuel in the chamber and best achieve the optimal desired air/fuel ratio.

This, in turn, leads to faster combustion that contributes to improved performance and fuel economy. Finally, the injector being placed at the center better allows for symmetrical injection patterns that help reduce the amount of wall wetting (the phenomenon in which the fuel adheres to the chamber walls).

*Models with Dual Fuel Injection: Smartstream G2.5 GDi / T-GDi
*Models with Dual Fuel Injection + Center Injection: Smartstream G3.5 GDi / T-GDi

High Tumble Combustion System (HTCS)
I was incorrect. The 1.6 Turbo has been improved, however, only the larger engines have both systems

1 - 11 of 11 Posts