Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

I am deciding between a 2022 Tucson and a 2022 Mazda CX-5 for my next car. Safety and crash prevention are my #1 priorities. I was involved in a pretty bad car accident, which left me concussed and still dealing with post-concussion syndrome. So I am purchasing a new car to feel much safer on the road.

Can anyone confirm that the 22 Tucson's Forward Collision Avoidance (FCA) works at speeds above 37 MPH? I have been doing research on Consumer Reports, and they state that the Tucson's FCA only works at speeds of 6-37 MPH. Does that mean it doesn't apply any brakes at all if it detects a crash over 37 MPH? Or does it still work at higher speeds, it just doesn't guarantee that you will completely avoid the crash?

See below for a screenshot of the Consumer Report write up about the Tucson. The Hyundai website and dealership didn't really help answer my question. There doesn't seem to be any clear literature on at what speeds does the FCA work at. In fact, I found someone in the Hyundai Santa Fe form asking the same question as me about his Santa Fe

The nice thing about Mazda is EVERY safety feature comes standard on every model. So I don't have to worry about different packages. And their website makes it clear the Mazda Smart Brake Support (SBS) works to avoid or reduce severity of crashes at driving speeds up to 90 MPH.

I wish Hyundai was that clear with their safety features. Anywho, any feedback on this issue would be greatly appreciated. I was really leaning towards the Tucson, but if I can't feel confident that I will get some auto brake support at highway speeds to at least help reduce the severity of a crash, I will probably have to go with the Mazda CX-5.

Here is the Consumer Reports screenshot:
Font Parallel Screenshot Number Document

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello there,

I am deciding between a 2022 Tucson and a 2022 Mazda CX-5 for my next car. Safety and crash prevention are my #1 priorities. I was involved in a pretty bad car accident, which left me concussed and still dealing with post-concussion syndrome. So I am purchasing a new car to feel much safer on the road.

Can anyone confirm that the 22 Tucson's Forward Collision Avoidance (FCA) works at speeds above 37 MPH? I have been doing research on Consumer Reports, and they state that the Tucson's FCA only works at speeds of 6-37 MPH. Does that mean it doesn't apply any brakes at all if it detects a crash over 37 MPH? Or does it still work at higher speeds, it just doesn't guarantee that you will completely avoid the crash?

See below for a screenshot of the Consumer Report write up about the Tucson. The Hyundai website and dealership didn't really help answer my question. There doesn't seem to be any clear literature on at what speeds does the FCA work at. In fact, I found someone in the Hyundai Santa Fe form asking the same question as me about his Santa Fe

The nice thing about Mazda is EVERY safety feature comes standard on every model. So I don't have to worry about different packages. And their website makes it clear the Mazda Smart Brake Support (SBS) works to avoid or reduce severity of crashes at driving speeds up to 90 MPH.

I wish Hyundai was that clear with their safety features. Anywho, any feedback on this issue would be greatly appreciated. I was really leaning towards the Tucson, but if I can't feel confident that I will get some auto brake support at highway speeds to at least help reduce the severity of a crash, I will probably have to go with the Mazda CX-5.

Here is the Consumer Reports screenshot:
View attachment 1088
Your reading into pedestrian avoidance.

Download a copy of the manual from the Manufacturer not some report.

As posted above, however some trims do not have all safety options.

Font Screenshot Parallel Document Monochrome photography

Rectangle Font Line Parallel Screenshot

IIHS Tucson superior results in FCW

Sad how some car makers call FCW a feature when they clearly don't work.
How IIHS test FCW on vehicles

Reactions: Tampa8

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
187 Posts
That report stuck out as a big plus when I was making my final decision on the Tucson. You need to spend time not just learning about the features but using them and after awhile you can appreciate the chances it will reduce or avoid an impact.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson LTD
45 Posts
I have this system and the vehicle has been at the dealer for 3 days. They don't know why system slams on the brakes and sounds the alarm when passing another car. Really scary. I want they to just deactive the whole system but they won't. I hope to not a lemon law car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts