Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2022 SEL-C Hybrid
51 Posts
I'm in the midwest. I have about 2K miles on my SEL-C Hybrid... and I'm also hovering around 30 mpg (just to add another data-point).

We also have a Hybrid CR-V... and it has been hovering around 33 mpg, but it's SLOW compared to the Tucson, so if a 3 mpg difference remains throughout the year as temps go up (and mileage goes up)... I'll take that trade-off all day. The reason I'm mentioning the Honda, is it's touted as having pretty high mpg, which it's falling short to roughly the same degree as the Hyundai.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I recently bought a new 2022 Tuscon Hybrid Limited. After breaking in with normal, non-aggressive driving for the first 500 miles, I decided to take it for a 500 mile drive to visit family. This is almost entirely highway driving and I did a mix of cruise control and non-cruise, but was consistently between 65-80mph the whole way. My overall mileage for the complete odometer is saying 27mpg, and my mileage for highway driving on that trip was closer to 25. Is there something wrong with the vehicle? I know hybrids dont do as well on the highway and I would understand if I got 33 or 35 instead of the EPA 37, or even the 29 that the non-hybrid model gets, but 25 is really dramatic and a huge difference and worse than the non-hybrid. Im barely getting 300 miles on a tank before the low fuel light comes on. My Mazda CX-5 got 370miles and 27mpg and that was with a 2.5L turbo engine and wasnt even a hybrid. Even in slow city driving, I dont see the average mpg go over 32 at any point in the drive and still settles towards 28mpg with the Tuscon Hybrid. Was this false advertising or am I doing something wrong or is there something wrong with the car?
As per the manual, the fuel economy stabilizes after 4000 miles.

·
Registered
137 Posts
On a trip this morning of 17 miles or 27 km I went through the city one way and came back on the highway. Even with cold weather and only 700km on the car I was getting 7.9 litres per 100 km. I could see that being below 7 in the spring.

·
Registered
'22 Tucson HEV SEL Convenience
20 Posts
I'll help build the encouragement that CanukRon is giving. Went on an extended drive for work on Monday (total of 235 miles) in central Iowa. High was in the upper 50s, so nice and warm. I battled a slight breeze (don't ask me how strong) in both directions. For the day, I was able to average around 36.

Drive was mostly cruise set at 58mph on country roads. There was a little bit of in town driving as well as a mile or two of interstate driving (65-70mph).

Higher numbers definitely seem achievable once the engine really breaks in (I just broke 1200mi) and weather warms up.

Reactions: CanukRon

·
Registered
137 Posts
Update March 18: turned the heat off while out around noon today. Since new I am now at 8.2 l/100 km or for our U.S. friends 28 m.p.g. Since my last fill up it is 7.2 or 32 mpg. On my last 10 minutes home it was 6.4 or 36.8 mpg. Higher of course in Imperial gallons. :cool:

·
Registered
49 Posts
For those stating that cruise control ruins the mileage, that pretty much means HDA is useless. I feel like that was a major feature of this vehicle. I really do not want to do day-long Interstate drives manually. :(

I recently bought a new 2022 Tuscon Hybrid Limited. After breaking in with normal, non-aggressive driving for the first 500 miles, I decided to take it for a 500 mile drive to visit family. This is almost entirely highway driving and I did a mix of cruise control and non-cruise, but was consistently between 65-80mph the whole way. My overall mileage for the complete odometer is saying 27mpg, and my mileage for highway driving on that trip was closer to 25. Is there something wrong with the vehicle? I know hybrids dont do as well on the highway and I would understand if I got 33 or 35 instead of the EPA 37, or even the 29 that the non-hybrid model gets, but 25 is really dramatic and a huge difference and worse than the non-hybrid. Im barely getting 300 miles on a tank before the low fuel light comes on. My Mazda CX-5 got 370miles and 27mpg and that was with a 2.5L turbo engine and wasnt even a hybrid. Even in slow city driving, I dont see the average mpg go over 32 at any point in the drive and still settles towards 28mpg with the Tuscon Hybrid. Was this false advertising or am I doing something wrong or is there something wrong with the car?
Do you have any update for us on this by chance? I agree, 30mpg (US) at 75mph would be acceptable for this or the PHEV version.

Anyone else with an update on their 75+mph mileages?

Went on a 370 mile each way road trip last week around the 1000 mile mark and got a paltry 29mpg for the trip. I have a PHEV and the battery was almost fully charged when we left and the only reason why it ran out of electric range was when I stopped for gas and forgot to switch it back to HEV/Auto mode.

This week however, I'm finally averaging better than estimated mileage so things are breaking in a bit better now I guess. My mileage does keep improving every week but still not sure if thats due to me getting used to the car or better break in or both.
You have the model I am looking at specifically. I don't suppose you have an update?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just completed a 500 mile trip today. 70% highway averaging 75mph. My mpg was 32.9. I have the Tucson Hybrid SEL trim. Earlier in the week I drove 70 miles on country roads never exceeding 60mpg and I averaged 37.8 mpg. These are significant improvements. Very high speeds and cold weather really do a number on mpg. The warmer weather helps a lot. Happy with what I'm seeing now.
Light Plant Gauge Speedometer Circle

·
Registered
Hybrid Limited
121 Posts
I just completed a 500 mile trip today. 70% highway averaging 75mph. My mpg was 32.9. I have the Tucson Hybrid SEL trim. Earlier in the week I drove 70 miles on country roads never exceeding 60mpg and I averaged 37.8 mpg. These are significant improvements. Very high speeds and cold weather really do a number on mpg. The warmer weather helps a lot. Happy with what I'm seeing now. View attachment 946
Fully agree with what you said, I observed the same (have Hybrid Limited).
Can only add that MPG can be very impressive if you are in traffic or, for whatever reason, driving slowly. See screenshot below (as you can see, 30 miles trip took an hour but look at the "bright side":cool: - 47 mpg!
Light Speedometer Gauge Circle Measuring instrument

But overall, with weather getting much warmer - improvement in mpg quite noticeable and as per manufacturer specs. or better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For those stating that cruise control ruins the mileage, that pretty much means HDA is useless. I feel like that was a major feature of this vehicle. I really do not want to do day-long Interstate drives manually. :(

Do you have any update for us on this by chance? I agree, 30mpg (US) at 75mph would be acceptable for this or the PHEV version.

Anyone else with an update on their 75+mph mileages?

You have the model I am looking at specifically. I don't suppose you have an update?
I have the 22 Tucson hybrid limited I went on a 500 mile round trip Clarksburg Wv to Erie Pa used HDA on entire trip 75% of the trip is 70 MPH and the trip through Pittsburgh is 45 and 55 averaged 36.4 for the trip.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Keep in mind also that at least here in the US especially in the northern, cooler climates, come around the end of October, all fuel stations change from summer blend to winter blend of fuel. This means because of the oxygenation in the winter blend, you lose on the average of 3-4 mpg's.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The Canucks are right. Cold weather affects hybrids worse than non-hybrids. Additionally, speed will demolish your fuel economy. There are numerous threads on this forum (and others) that point out the EPA highway fuel economy test is done at 48mph. Don't ask me why. I don't work for the EPA. Someone more scientifically minded can inform us of gear ratios, wind resistance, and other such matters, but suffice it to say each vehicle has an economical sweet spot where it is happy to perform. My 2012 Honda Odyssey is perfectly happy being fuel efficient somewhere around 60-70 mph. Go above 75 and the fuel economy will tank. Driving around 25-30mph, the Odyssey will also sip quite a bit of fuel. The Tucson is happiest staying under that 60-65 mph mark.
Getting closer to 1000 miles and with warmer weather, I have noticed my mpgs starting to creep closer and closer to the EPA combined fuel economy. Then again, I take the 55mph backroads.
My suggestion: learn to enjoy the backroads. Go to your local library that gives access to free audiobooks or find some nice podcasts.
These hybrids are a compromise between efficiency and practicality. Speed isn't necessarily in the consideration. Just be thankful it isn't a CVT.
It’s just like any hybrid, plug-in hybrid or all electric. Cold climates reduce any battery like significantly. The technology is still very new. It will take more strides in this technology to reduce outdoor temperature effects on electric batteries. You’ll probably already noticed an increase in your mileage as we come into spring & summer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i have a tucson 2022 phev i travelled 303 km converted to miles 188 i used 11.6 litres converted to us gal 3.06 to canadian gal 2.56 using both electric and gas us = 61.44 canadian =73.44
very happy and very impressed i have 7000 km = 4200 miles on car
also i paid 183.9 a liter converted to canadian gal 8.40

·
Registered
33 Posts
As others have mentioned, the EPA highway test is at a relatively slow speed; 48MPH on average and never above 60. It also includes a fair amount of speeding up and slowing down of 10 - 20MPH. That would benefit a hybrid.

If you are doing a long highway trip at a consistent speed you are essentially driving a large and heavy non-hybrid 1.6L SUV with a 6SPD automatic. At 60MPH you realistically have no chance of hitting the rated fuel economy without a strong tail wind. I believe fuel economy decreases exponentially with speed so you can imagine that doing 70 or 80MPH would only make things worse.

Cold, wind, winter tires, etc. will also affect fuel economy.

I don't think your fuel economy it out of line for your use case. Hopefully it ends up closer to 30MPG in the summer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd like to see some controlled tests showing that cruise control hurts fuel economy. The opposite is usually true thanks to cruise control maintaining a more consistent speed.

I don't understand how speeding up and slowing down would help fuel economy. Even if the car went into EV mode during coasting, any fuel savings will be more than offset by having to speed up again. But I would also expect that using a gas engine to charge a battery to drive an electric motor would be less efficient then just using a gas engine to propel the vehicle.

But it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong!

21 - 40 of 56 Posts