Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited, Phantom Black/Black
13 Posts
I have 1791 miles on my Hybrid Limited, put 1/2 tank of gas in yesterday on my way into work (always fill up at 1/2 tank). My drive from work is roughly 50% highway at 75 MPH (with cruse), then rural at 55 (with cruse). Roughly 17 miles one way and 20 minutes give or take a minute for traffic and the two lights I hit. Yesterday was 61°F on my way home, the first fillup that I know was summer blend gas, and the first time I hit over 30 MPG (31.4) where the drive wasn't 10 miles away. Grant you, it's also been fairly windy here and I've often driven into the wind.

·
Registered
2022 Tuscon Hybrid Limited
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
So here's an update:
I have almost 4000 miles on the car at this point, and my overall average is about 31-32mpg.I still get like 28 on highways, but I do enough non-highway driving that it pulls it up a little. On a nice day and reasonable driving I can get 35-38mpg on country roads, but the EPA promise of 36/37 everywhere is a far cry from the truth. Like I said, I get an average of 32mpg which is disappointing. Still able to get ~400 miles or more on a tank, but I should be able to get closer to 500... Especially with these gas prices, this is somewhat of a let down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
These results for hybrids are interesting. I just have the regular 4cyl engine on my SEL Convenience and my overall average is 34.5 mpg w/mixed driving. I can get as high as 50 mpg when just cruising down the highway and I'm sure that brings my average up. I've been really happy with the mpg.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm in the midwest. I have about 2K miles on my SEL-C Hybrid... and I'm also hovering around 30 mpg (just to add another data-point).

We also have a Hybrid CR-V... and it has been hovering around 33 mpg, but it's SLOW compared to the Tucson, so if a 3 mpg difference remains throughout the year as temps go up (and mileage goes up)... I'll take that trade-off all day. The reason I'm mentioning the Honda, is it's touted as having pretty high mpg, which it's falling short to roughly the same degree as the Hyundai.
It usually takes about 5000 miles before the engine settles in, and then you start seeing realistic mpg. Hang in there, you’ll love your choice!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have definitely noticed this and started incorporating it into my driving style. Its just unfortunate I have to be so conscious of it to get the rated efficiency
I agree. On my 2019 Ioniq, the cruise control does not diminish my mpg. On the Tucson hybrid I use cruise control less frequently because it does not get as good mpg when it is on.

·
Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
332 Posts
Cruise control is for maintaining speed, not improving fuel economy. As soon as you reach an incline, the computer mashes on the accelerator to maintain speed. That wastes fuel. I believe if you could choose a range, Say 65-70 mpg and program the computer to "feather" the accelerator for you between the low and high range fuel economy would be much better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cruise control is for maintaining speed, not improving fuel economy. As soon as you reach an incline, the computer mashes on the accelerator to maintain speed. That wastes fuel. I believe if you could choose a range, Say 65-70 mpg and program the computer to "feather" the accelerator for you between the low and high range fuel economy would be much better.
Isn't that what the Smart driving mode is sort of designed to do? Not regarding cruise control, but changing between low and higher gas consumption based on computer calculated requirements to be most efficient?

·
Registered
Hybrid Limited
121 Posts
I am fully agree with mungo544 but would like to add ( assuming, that when we state "cruise control" - we actually mean "HDA") - I use HDA in 90% of my highway driving, and not because it is convenient ( which it is) but because (in my experience) it is real safety guard or maybe even "life saver". There were a few instances when I got destructed and line change warning as well as even "Collision warning" audible chimes were of great help. Thus, I would not care too much of saving additional 2-3 mpg vs. saving my life and life of my passengers if I have an option to switch ON "assistant" that can warn me when or if I do not pay enough attention to the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought a new 2022 Tuscon Hybrid Limited. After breaking in with normal, non-aggressive driving for the first 500 miles, I decided to take it for a 500 mile drive to visit family. This is almost entirely highway driving and I did a mix of cruise control and non-cruise, but was consistently between 65-80mph the whole way. My overall mileage for the complete odometer is saying 27mpg, and my mileage for highway driving on that trip was closer to 25. Is there something wrong with the vehicle? I know hybrids dont do as well on the highway and I would understand if I got 33 or 35 instead of the EPA 37, or even the 29 that the non-hybrid model gets, but 25 is really dramatic and a huge difference and worse than the non-hybrid. Im barely getting 300 miles on a tank before the low fuel light comes on. My Mazda CX-5 got 370miles and 27mpg and that was with a 2.5L turbo engine and wasnt even a hybrid. Even in slow city driving, I dont see the average mpg go over 32 at any point in the drive and still settles towards 28mpg with the Tuscon Hybrid. Was this false advertising or am I doing something wrong or is there something wrong with the car?

Alright. I'm having issues too, most poeople will respond with the same old, same old "depends how you drive it, depends if you're going highway, depends on cold weather, depends if you've "broken it in". But 25 -28 MPG in any scenario, is pretty much a red flag that something is actually wrong. Now there's no problem starting with the basics, but can we at least admit a red flag when there's a red flag.

I love my Tucson 2022 SEL Hybrid. I was pretty sure it wasn't cold weather alone, so I accepted the cold weather theory + break in, being patient to why I was getting intially 20-24 MPG when it says 37/ 38 MPG. Btw, I believe both CITY and Highway are 37 or more...

Well I'm over 3,900 miles, It's been spring, it's now Summer, and the MPG is noticeably better than 20-24 MPG, but it's still pretty bad. I also drive it like an elderly person. That 37 MPG is supposedto be achieved under normal driving conditions anyhow, but I'm coasting to red lights and slow breaking. Gentle take offs etc; to put my MPG to the test and yeah, it hasn't achieved 32 which is too far from 37/38. My 2008 RX400 Hybrid, 130,000 miles in and 13 years old, got 23 MPG in the freezing winter with a 14 year old hybrid battery and they olnly advertised 27/24 MPG.

I took my new Tucson on 400 mile trip on: Eco-Mode, cruise control optimized for best MPG, 87 octane, no ethanol, etc. And it never broke above 32 MPG. Super sad.

After I got an oil change... and asked the service advisor to chat with a mechanic, he came back laterand said Hyundai is very aware of the terrible gas milage and that they may have a recall, but not yet. Or it sounded like they were working on a computer upgrade that we could get so that the gas mileage gets improved.

I wouldn't intially call it false advertisement or a facade ....but now that Hyundai knows its poorer mileage, and know that the EPA is wrong, they shouldn't be continuing to advertise it to customers. 2022's are still being sold brand new with window stickers saying 37/38, and it's knowingly false at that point. A bit sad. I hope they correct the problem and move forward. My first brand new car in my life and it's still a chunk of change. Was obviously hoping to save on gas, even before gas went up.

Lastly, I paid very close attention to the "break-in period" guidance, too. For the first 600 miles I didn't drive it at a single speed for a length of time. I varied it and I didn't use cruise control. Etc Etc. There just needs to be a bit of accountability with both Hyundai and the EPA. 2-3 miles is one thing, and still should be more accurate. But 5+ MPG, there isn't anything in this nation accepted to be so far off advertisement-wise, knowingly wrong and still be advertised.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Alright. I'm having issues too, most poeople will respond with the same old, same old "depends how you drive it, depends if you're going highway, depends on cold weather, depends if you've "broken it in". But 25 -28 MPG in any scenario, is pretty much a red flag that something is actually wrong. Now there's no problem starting with the basics, but can we at least admit a red flag when there's a red flag.

I love my Tucson 2022 SEL Hybrid. I was pretty sure it wasn't cold weather alone, so I accepted the cold weather theory + break in, being patient to why I was getting intially 20-24 MPG when it says 37/ 38 MPG. Btw, I believe both CITY and Highway are 37 or more...

Well I'm over 3,900 miles, It's been spring, it's now Summer, and the MPG is noticeably better than 20-24 MPG, but it's still pretty bad. I also drive it like an elderly person. That 37 MPG is supposedto be achieved under normal driving conditions anyhow, but I'm coasting to red lights and slow breaking. Gentle take offs etc; to put my MPG to the test and yeah, it hasn't achieved 32 which is too far from 37/38. My 2008 RX400 Hybrid, 130,000 miles in and 13 years old, got 23 MPG in the freezing winter with a 14 year old hybrid battery and they olnly advertised 27/24 MPG.

I took my new Tucson on 400 mile trip on: Eco-Mode, cruise control optimized for best MPG, 87 octane, no ethanol, etc. And it never broke above 32 MPG. Super sad.

After I got an oil change... and asked the service advisor to chat with a mechanic, he came back laterand said Hyundai is very aware of the terrible gas milage and that they may have a recall, but not yet. Or it sounded like they were working on a computer upgrade that we could get so that the gas mileage gets improved.

I wouldn't intially call it false advertisement or a facade ....but now that Hyundai knows its poorer mileage, and know that the EPA is wrong, they shouldn't be continuing to advertise it to customers. 2022's are still being sold brand new with window stickers saying 37/38, and it's knowingly false at that point. A bit sad. I hope they correct the problem and move forward. My first brand new car in my life and it's still a chunk of change. Was obviously hoping to save on gas, even before gas went up.
I agree you seem to be having issues that many of us don't. I wonder if height above sea level makes any difference?

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
349 Posts

Lastly, I paid very close attention to the "break-in period" guidance, too. For the first 600 miles I didn't drive it at a single speed for a length of time. I varied it and I didn't use cruise control. Etc Etc. There just needs to be a bit of accountability with both Hyundai and the EPA. 2-3 miles is one thing, and still should be more accurate. But 5+ MPG, there isn't anything in this nation accepted to be so far off advertisement-wise, knowingly wrong and still be advertised.
From that description it does sound too low and not what many others are getting. I don't think it can be how the car is made because so many are doing much better so there may be a problem. No idea what.

My ICE gets much better than that, for stretches at a time it can be 40+ mpg and I posted a pic of a 300 mile stretch that got over that. I'm not alone in that. My overall including from day one no engine break in and alot of around town is at this moment 31.9 mpg so you should be seeing higher for sure.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL Convenience
79 Posts
Based on my experience I think you should go back to the dealer. My first tank in my HEV SEL I got 32.8 mpg. That's driving conservatively in ECO mode, desert conditions - 90 - 110, relatively flat, and mixed urban freeway & multi-lane surface streets.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts