Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Hybrid Limited
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know anything about E 85 rated gas? I have a local chain near me that is selling E 85 gas for $1.50 less than normal gas. I have the Tucson hybrid and of course I don’t wanna save a little bit of money on gas if in the long run it’s gonna damage the car

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
643 Posts
Does anybody know anything about E 85 rated gas? I have a local chain near me that is selling E 85 gas for $1.50 less than normal gas. I have the Tucson hybrid and of course I don’t wanna save a little bit of money on gas if in the long run it’s gonna damage the car
Google??
And the answer is 100% no.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Blue Trim
141 Posts
I don't even use E10 in my car or motorcycle. Here's what Bill Reinert (former national manager of Toyota's Advanced Technology Group) says about ethanol in gasoline:

"...Ethanol has remarkably destructive properties in your gas tank, especially on cars and engines that aren’t driven very much, like seasonal boats. It absorbs water, and the water gets throughout the fuel system, and dirt or debris that’s normally in your tank gets emulsified. That gets plated out in your fuel system, and your car runs very poorly. This has been documented time and time again, and it’s especially bad for cars or applications that aren’t designed for high levels of ethanol. It really has no upside, and when we consider all of the damage that it does to our ecosystems, it is done for no good reason. I don’t believe anybody in the scientific community or at the Department of Energy is seriously looking at bioethanol from corn, except for the politicians..."

Ethanol has 30% less energy than gasoline, so burning ethanol means less power (a lot less with E85) and much poorer fuel economy. It's no bargain.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson SEL Convenience w/Premium non-hybrid
60 Posts
I don't even use E10 in my car or motorcycle. Here's what Bill Reinert (former national manager of Toyota's Advanced Technology Group) says about ethanol in gasoline:

"...Ethanol has remarkably destructive properties in your gas tank, especially on cars and engines that aren’t driven very much, like seasonal boats. It absorbs water, and the water gets throughout the fuel system, and dirt or debris that’s normally in your tank gets emulsified. That gets plated out in your fuel system, and your car runs very poorly. This has been documented time and time again, and it’s especially bad for cars or applications that aren’t designed for high levels of ethanol. It really has no upside, and when we consider all of the damage that it does to our ecosystems, it is done for no good reason. I don’t believe anybody in the scientific community or at the Department of Energy is seriously looking at bioethanol from corn, except for the politicians..."

Ethanol has 30% less energy than gasoline, so burning ethanol means less power (a lot less with E85) and much poorer fuel economy. It's no bargain.
I remember there was a time where we had no Ethenol mixed in with gasoline and a full tank can go a long way, those days are long gone.
And yes, it has been proven that ethanol will cause long term damage especially for small engines like your lawn mower.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thank you very much for the explanation and the kind response

·
Registered
'22, Tucson hybrid, SEL convenience
85 Posts
Check your owners manual. Not sure, but I didn't think the hybrid could use E85. Thought the max was 10% but I could be wrong. Also, you'll get worse fuel economy with E85 so the savings might not be as good as you think.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the kind response This is all making me think about gas in miles per gallon than I ever did not now of course but when gas prices come back down does a higher more expensive gas truly give you better gas mileage?

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
643 Posts
I've never found premium gas to be worth the difference in price mileage wise. You should use a top tier brand of gas when you can, though.
I can agree if we are talking now, with newer cars. I 100% can see a difference in my 2006 MX5 and could in older cars. But once they went electronic with being able to adjust to the fuel, I agree I have tried and just don't see a difference or anything measurable enough to pay more. My MX5 flies with non ethanol a real easily felt difference in response and speed etc. When I tried two + tank fills on the Soul, no difference at all. So not only octane but non ethanol is better for small engine equipment and older cars but I don't think for newer cars at least not for performance.

·
Registered
Limited PHEV, Quartz White with grey interior
258 Posts
Thank you for the kind response This is all making me think about gas in miles per gallon than I ever did not now of course but when gas prices come back down does a higher more expensive gas truly give you better gas mileage?
The only purpose of high(er) octane gas is to stop engine knock in high-compressions engines. High octane gas does not improve mileage. As noted, Top Tier gas does provide assurance as to the detergent additives.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts