Hyundai Tucson Forum banner

Engine confusion

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  coloradobob9 
#1 ·
Hello all. I test drove a new 2022 Tucson Premium 1.6 today. Loved the looks, interior was fine with lots of toys to play with. However, I didn't buy it because it scared me. There was some disconnect between the hybrid battery and the engine. At a junction or traffic lights, when attempting to move off, there was almost no reaction to depressing the accelerator. The natural thing to do was to press harder and this resulted in a sudden surge and a rapid take off. I an not very mechanically minded, but I think this may be caused by the system thinking that a manoeuvre is taking place at very slow speed and is allowing the battery to influence the car's performance. The system then realizes, as the accelerator is pressed harder, that the petrol engine is required and it cuts in. Of course, by this time, the engine revs are quite high and a sudden surge takes place. It is very disconcerting, particularly when crossing into the path of oncoming traffic and not knowing if the car will respond quickly enough. I asked the salesman if he knew of this situation and he admitted that it had been mentioned by several other people. Has anyone come across this anomally and if so, what happened?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.