Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2022 Tucson, gas engine. This has happened a few times, I stop at a light, and the engine turns off, but, when I step on the gas it starts running again, what is this? Should this be happening? What is it called? Or is this something wrong?

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Limited PHEV Amazon Gray / Black. 2022 Tucson SEL PHEV Shimmering Silver / Gray
181 Posts
2022 Tucson, gas engine. This has happened a few times, I stop at a light, and the engine turns off, but, when I step on the gas it starts running again, what is this? Should this be happening? What is it called? Or is this something wrong?
Most likely your battery is in a need charging state. It's perfectly alright. Mine does that when under 20% on battery charge. You should notice the same when driving where it may be just enough battery to resume on EV but will not run long. Keeping your car charged will definitely be advised to get the most EV value

·
Registered
56 Posts
Most likely your battery is in a need charging state. It's perfectly alright. Mine does that when under 20% on battery charge. You should notice the same when driving where it may be just enough battery to resume on EV but will not run long. Keeping your car charged will definitely be advised to get the most EV value
This guy has gasoline engine only and this is start/stop system called light or mild hybrid

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
630 Posts
Gas engine....

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited, Phantom Black/Black
27 Posts
Shame on the dealer for not saying anything about this. I know it would have freaked me out the first time it occurred if the dealer hadn't warned me that it would do it and that you can't permanently disable it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
its a forum for people to ask questions. No need to be a wisea$$.

its a feature that many manufacturers use to save on gas in stop and go traffic. So your car is acting as intended.
I believe you should be able to turn that feature off. But you may need to look into it in the manual (auto stop/start).
I checked the owners manual, there's a description on when it should happen, neither fit the occasion when it happened to me, 'vehicle running for long time, seat-belts unfastened, in 'park', none of these conditions were apparent wen the engine cut out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I checked the owners manual, there's a description on when it should happen, neither fit the occasion when it happened to me, 'vehicle running for long time, seat-belts unfastened, in 'park', none of these conditions were apparent wen the engine cut out.
I think you're looking at the wrong function. Here's a short video of a similar feature with the Santa Fe:

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
630 Posts
You will get so much more enjoyment of the car if you take more time to read the manual, or go to the dealer and have them help explain functions. I understand your cars have not had this feature and it's new to you that's why get help from a dealer. But it is a very common gas saving feature.
In my first car that had it years ago it seemed more an annoyance but in local stop and go traffic I can see where the engine not idling for so a period of time has benefits.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think you're looking at the wrong function. Here's a short video of a similar feature with the Santa Fe:
Yes, this sound like what is happening, I'll look for the button in the console, if not there on my Tucson, I'll at minimum know what's happening with 'idle-stop-go-system', and thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just a question/concern regarding the engine stop/go feature.

It has been my understanding in the past, that the majority of engine wear occurs when actually starting the engine.
With that in mind, wouldn't the stop/go feature be detrimental to the engine integrity over an extended period, or is this negated because the engine is already 'warmed up', and the engine wear would occur during initial startup only?

Any expert opinions on this?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just a question/concern regarding the engine stop/go feature.

It has been my understanding in the past, that the majority of engine wear occurs when actually starting the engine.
With that in mind, wouldn't the stop/go feature be detrimental to the engine integrity over an extended period, or is this negated because the engine is already 'warmed up', and the engine wear would occur during initial startup only?

Any expert opinions on this?
I'm certainly not an expert, but, the engine doesn't seem to restart, it just kind of sleeps, for it takes off when you push on the gas.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts