Hyundai Tucson Forum banner

Engine stops running when I stop sometimes?

11K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Tampa8 
Most likely your battery is in a need charging state. It's perfectly alright. Mine does that when under 20% on battery charge. You should notice the same when driving where it may be just enough battery to resume on EV but will not run long. Keeping your car charged will definitely be advised to get the most EV value
Gas engine....

I checked the owners manual, there's a description on when it should happen, neither fit the occasion when it happened to me, 'vehicle running for long time, seat-belts unfastened, in 'park', none of these conditions were apparent wen the engine cut out.
You will get so much more enjoyment of the car if you take more time to read the manual, or go to the dealer and have them help explain functions. I understand your cars have not had this feature and it's new to you that's why get help from a dealer. But it is a very common gas saving feature.
In my first car that had it years ago it seemed more an annoyance but in local stop and go traffic I can see where the engine not idling for so a period of time has benefits.

Just a question/concern regarding the engine stop/go feature.

It has been my understanding in the past, that the majority of engine wear occurs when actually starting the engine.
With that in mind, wouldn't the stop/go feature be detrimental to the engine integrity over an extended period, or is this negated because the engine is already 'warmed up', and the engine wear would occur during initial startup only?

Any expert opinions on this?
Not an expert.
I suppose there is some miniscule wear starting from Stop and Go, but as you say it's already warmed up so not like starting from cold. I'm thinking oil not only isn't cold but is still not drained down from the top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.