Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions. We have have a deposit down for a 2023 Ultimate PHEV and I’m torn between getting an extended warranty or forgetting about it.

Planning on keeping the car long term (goal is 15 years), however we won’t be putting a ton of mileage on it (maybe 7k - 8k a year). I’m hoping that by not having a super high mileage will minimize repairs after the regular warranty runs out. My concerns are all the tech in the car and that repair costs might be on the high side. I know this is subjective but do you think it’s worth it? With paying so much for a new car, another $2k and change doesn’t seem like much for peace of mind.

If so, do you think that the premium plus warranty is worth it over the premium? They seem to be very similar with the premium plus covering only a few more items. On first glance I would say it’s not worth it.

Just to clarify, if we talk about an 8 year extended warranty, does this mean that any part that is covered under the regular warranty for less than 8 years, is then covered to 8 years? Or does it mean that each part is extended for a full 8 years after the regular warranty expires?

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
643 Posts
I'll answer this way. I got the extended warranty for the first time ever on a new car. After thinking about it for quite sometime, and negotiating down the cost I felt it was more likely worth it than a waste of money. Electronics play a big part of it, and here in the U.S. being able to transfer it should I sell the car should add to the value. (I don't know how that works in Canada)

I got the platinum plus, 100,000 miles or 10 years in the U.S. And here It adds coverage Headlights, Belts and hoses, and more coverage of electronics. Virtually all bulbs and fuses. It has more diagnostic costs covered.

The extended warranty covers whatever your plan says it does at any time not just after the regular warranty.
It starts the day you sign for it, for 8 years there apparently, and 10 years here. And whatever the mileage allowed is. It does not start after the regular warranty. So there is overlap while the new car warranty is in effect. Keep in mind you are buying protection for the years more likely when things wear out, malfunctions etc from age.

New car warranty is more for things that should not have worn out or stopped working in a new car. (Other than the power train that is covered for a longer time)
The extended warranty is more for things that as time goes on have more chance to break, stop working etc. That coverage has more risk than covering parts 3 or 4 years old.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the clarification. So if it starts the day that you sign it, wouldn’t it be more beneficial to wait and get an extended warranty after 2 or 3 years having the car, basically to minimize the overlap. It might be a bit more expensive but those years wouldn’t be wasted. If I understand right, your extended warranty covers things that aren’t covered under the regular warranty, which I guess makes it more worth it from the start.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. So if it starts the day that you sign it, wouldn’t it be more beneficial to wait and get an extended warranty after 2 or 3 years having the car, basically to minimize the overlap. It might be a bit more expensive but those years wouldn’t be wasted. If I understand right, your extended warranty covers things that aren’t covered under the regular warranty, which I guess makes it more worth it from the start.
Keep in mind the mileage limits. 100,000 miles on the odometer is the limit here no matter when you start it. That's 10,000 miles a year. (16000+ kilometers) If you drive well under that maybe you could get a couple more years by waiting.

·
Registered
Montreal, QC
288 Posts
I took the 8 year extended warrantee the SUPERIOUR PLUS, after doing some bargaining they charged me $2970. plus taxes for .00 Deductible.
They wanted $3700. Plus Taxes.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Ultimate Hybrid White/Grey
190 Posts
The only draw back to the extended warranty is that if you use it for anything, you won’t get $2000 back after the 8 years. It is a gamble warranty..lol

·
Registered
643 Posts
The only draw back to the extended warranty is that if you use it for anything, you won’t get $2000 back after the 8 years. It is a gamble warranty..lol
How else could it work? If you use it you bought it so to speak. I don't see that as a drawback but it's a benefit to have time to decide. Like any insurance or extended warranty getting it is a gamble that it will prevent large out of pocket expenses as the car gets older even if not equal to the cost.

If you do really get 8 years to decide that's much longer than here. After the regular warranty of 5yrs 60,000 miles you can't return it.

·
Registered
Montreal, QC
288 Posts
I didn t buy to get $2000. Back
I wanted a piece of mind when travelling to the USA. TOWING was 250. US. If nothing happens great it will only have costed me $1k.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Ultimate Hybrid White/Grey
190 Posts
How else could it work? If you use it you bought it so to speak. I don't see that as a drawback but it's a benefit to have time to decide. Like any insurance or extended warranty getting it is a gamble that it will prevent large out of pocket expenses as the car gets older even if not equal to the cost.

If you do really get 8 years to decide that's much longer than here. After the regular warranty of 5yrs 60,000 miles you can't return it.
It’s a gamble in the sense that if a repair is $300 and if I decide to pay the $300 instead of using the extended warranty just to get the $2000 back after 8 years. That’s the gamble I’m talking about.

·
Registered
643 Posts
If you pay the $300 you have made the decision to end the warranty I would think otherwise you are now paying $2,300. If you use the warranty it now cost you $1700 and that's what I would do unless we are talking a few weeks/months before the 8 years.
In that respect having to make the decision at 5yrs/60,000 miles is an easier one to make I would stick with the warranty those years past 5yrs to 10yrs (here) are far more likely to need repairs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts