Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
'22 SEL +Convenience +Premium in Intense Blue
124 Posts
My Honda HRV had an oil life monitor, I routinely changed the oil at 15% or 10% life which was 12,000 or 13,000 miles on 0w20 synthetic. Up until the day some a-hole rear ended me that car didn't burn a drop of oil and had no blowby that I could detect. Modern engines, oils, and filters can go much longer than they did 40 years ago.

I trust the thousands of Engineers over advice on a forum I guess. If Hyundai recommends 7,500 miles that seems perfectly reasonable to me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just checked(by entering VIN number) my PHEV in Canada Hyundai website, it suggests me to go service every 6 months and no free service for sure … :-(

·
Registered
2022 Tucson LTD
51 Posts
Hyundai is specific about the oil. GF6 0-20. The dealers must use it. If they don't it's on them.
I have ICE and it takes 6 qts. I'm at 900 miles and I'm going to change it at 1000 miles and 5k after that. I will not let the dealer touch my car if at all possible. The oil change is easy and it cost less than $40. Oil $26 and filter $13. I paid almost $40k for this vehicle so it's not a big deal to spend a little on oil. Penszoil makes 0-20 syn. GF6.
Good luck with the dealers.
My $.02 worth.

·
Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
332 Posts
Hello all,

My Tuscon limited hybrid is due for it's first Oil change. The dealership lists the included service as a conventional oil change. With the limited having a turbo should I go for the synthetic? Dealership lists that as a 79 dollar upgrade, which is a little ridiculous tbh. Shot in the dark here but has anyone brought their own oil in to be used lol? Anyone have any recommendations on what oil to use if I should decide to do it myself?

On a side not was this forum reorganized or something? I remember in June there being much more content and two different subforums to browse. It also my account was no longer registered as well in that timeframe.

Thanks in advance.
Your dealer MUST use the 0-20 full synthetic. That upcharge is $20.00 more than what my dealer charges out of pocket foe a synthetic oil change. Here is my window sticker for my first complimentary oil change.
Liquid Motor vehicle Handwriting Font Gas

There was NO upcharge. Not only that, but because living in the New England climate qualifies as severe conditions according to page 09-12 category "D" my complimentary oil changes are covered by Hyundai according to my dealer and reflected in the dates and mileage on the sticker.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Your dealer MUST use the 0-20 full synthetic. That upcharge is $20.00 more than what my dealer charges out of pocket foe a synthetic oil change. Here is my window sticker for my first complimentary oil change. View attachment 647

There was NO upcharge. Not only that, but because living in the New England climate qualifies as severe conditions according to page 09-12 category "D" my complimentary oil changes are covered by Hyundai according to my dealer and reflected in the dates and mileage on the sticker.
Just as a follow-up, I am going tomorrow for my next oil change at 12000 miles and the service writer confirmed that there will be no charge for the service. I did read the language in the Hyundai warranty that says it doesn't cover severe usage, so either the service department is misreading the warranty or they are going beyond the warranty requirements. The sticker says 0-20 oil and the service writer confirmed that is what they use so I will take them at their word. By the way, it appears that there is some fuel getting to the oil, as the dipstick reads about 1/8" higher than the full mark, though I can't really detect a fuel smell in the oil.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Just as a follow-up, I am going tomorrow for my next oil change at 12000 miles and the service writer confirmed that there will be no charge for the service. I did read the language in the Hyundai warranty that says it doesn't cover severe usage, so either the service department is misreading the warranty or they are going beyond the warranty requirements. The sticker says 0-20 oil and the service writer confirmed that is what they use so I will take them at their word. By the way, it appears that there is some fuel getting to the oil, as the dipstick reads about 1/8" higher than the full mark, though I can't really detect a fuel smell in the oil.
Another update . "Larry," from the Hyundai service dept. in Torrington Ct. called me while I was on the way there for my "complimentary" oil change and told me that "Pat", also from the same service department, was wrong when she assured me that the oil change would be "complimentary", and that I wouldn't be eligible for the service until 16,000 miles. It is a good thing I didn't drive the whole 20 miles to Torrington to find this out. This is either rank incompetence or deception. Not sure which is worse. Either way, I am done with that dealership.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Blue Trim
119 Posts
I like changing my own oil. It's a pleasant ritual on the Tucson Hybrid because the clearance is good under the car. I park two wheels on the curb of a street with a steep crown, throw some cardboard down which makes it easy to slide under and work. Drain plug and filter are easy to get to and the oil from each can be drained without drenching subframes or other car parts and making a huge mess. Mostly, I like assuring that the job is done right. I dislike paying the steep price for the oil and filter, though. So far, the pleasure of the task far outweighs the carrot of free oil and filter for me. The dealer hates it when I do the job myself. That's a $55 perk for them from Hyundai that got away.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I agree. I never used the dealer for an oil change (or repairs unless it was under warranty) in my 50 years of owning cars. I did 99% of changes myself and tomorrow I am going back to my routine of every 5000 miles.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Boy do I ever belong all up in this thread. I won't recount all my points in concert with the kindred souls posting here regarding maint. strategies and tactics, but it's kinda eerie my experiences and comments in common in this other thread:

BTW, I just installed Weathermat Mudflaps this afternoon = slick as snot, great fitment. I bought the little slip-in console tray for the wife as well = oem look and'll be quite handy. And can recoomend the TuxMat floormats VERY highly. Gorilla Guard locks are on as well to keep her from becoming victim to crews doing dark parking lot 'take-offs.'

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just did an oil change on my 15 year old Santa Fe and The drain plug was so tight and almost rounded off, I didn’t think I would get it out (finally did), the crush washer was so extruded that I’m sure that’s why they used an impact rathe`r than putting a new washer on drain plug. This wasn’t my Hyundai dealer. AnywaY, I don’t trust a shop to do a good job so I’ll be doing my own on the new Tucson as well as our Santa Fe. For peace of mind, and knowing the job was done correctly And I’ll install a magnetic drain on first change at 1000 miles, probably every 5k after that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
has anybody seen this one?
i'm in usa. i went to get first free oil change from hyundai dealership today, they put 5w20 syn blend in my 22 tucson, non hybrid,2.5 gas engine even though the oil cap states 0w20. when i questioned the service manager, he stated sorry for the confusion but that's what there area service manager rep told them to use and said it was an acceptable oil.
5w20 syn blend. i called hyndai USA to question that info, and they referred me back to that service manager at that dealership. i got a case number, the rep said they would review.

ALSO, if i wanted 0w20 full syn, i could pay the difference.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
349 Posts
has anybody seen this one?
i'm in usa. i went to get first free oil change from hyundai dealership today, they put 5w20 syn blend in my 22 tucson, non hybrid,2.5 gas engine even though the oil cap states 0w20. when i questioned the service manager, he stated sorry for the confusion but that's what there area service manager rep told them to use and said it was an acceptable oil.
5w20 syn blend. i called hyndai USA to question that info, and they referred me back to that service manager at that dealership. i got a case number, the rep said they would review.

ALSO, if i wanted 0w20 full syn, i could pay the difference.
Search here works pretty well, you will find posts. Imo it will do zero harm but that really isn't the point. You probably should have stayed there and told them it isn't acceptable, Hyundai only says 0W20 and you are not driving it with anything else. Go back and take it up with them again, tell them Hyundai says to only use 0W20 and it's up to them to prove differently and put it in writing that Hyundai authorizes anything but 0W20.. See what they say.

·
Registered
'22 SEL +Convenience +Premium in Intense Blue
124 Posts
I wonder if this is one of the first Hyundai engines to use 0W20? I came from a Honda, which most of their engines use that weight and I never saw a single dealership try to upsell the oil specified by the manufacturer. It's unbelievable they would try to convince you not to use the specified fluids.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
349 Posts
I wonder if this is one of the first Hyundai engines to use 0W20? I came from a Honda, which most of their engines use that weight and I never saw a single dealership try to upsell the oil specified by the manufacturer. It's unbelievable they would try to convince you not to use the specified fluids.
I think the change is in ONLY 0W20. Before there was some wiggle room. Same with Kia. And yes, pretty low to try and charge for the one and only recommended oil under warranty that should be used to begin with.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Hybrid
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Well after posting this I scheduled my appointment. Dealer pushed it back because I was only at ~4000 miles. That's fine. I drive this car very infrequently. Today I said enough is enough and had it changed at 5000. Argued with the service rep about synthetic versus blended; they were at first staying firm on using blended. Went outside and grabbed the manual and showed them what the manual recommended. They relented on it finally.

But...... I get home and get to deal with this now. I'm changing my own damn oil again. If it's not too low in the morning I'm taking it back up to the service department and giving them the "look at what they did to my boy" speech .
Tire Hood Light Road surface Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light Car

·
Registered
111 Posts
This caught my eye, and likely no more (but unfortunately also not a lot less) concern with fuel in the crank at this point. Note the oil cap. is a weirdball non-standard amount: 6 qts plus 1/2 cup. And the official 'oil change technician / complementary car wash guy' has probably just been trained in the good 'ol "too much is always better" school of service.

And there's that Quaker State reference again I've seen in various places in the owner's literature, "Hyundai Recommends Quaker State Products".....

Book Font Publication Parallel Paper

21 - 40 of 43 Posts