Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I never knew that there's a big difference in recommendations in Europe vs the US. Lot's of theories you can find online but no real reason I could find. Interesting info, alip. Same car, same oil spec, different interval. I wonder if in the US, we're just so ingrained with the 3k maintenance interval from the 60's that is still perpetuated by the quick change oil places that we're just slow to adopt anything different. The 8k recommendation for the Tucson seemed long to me (I slowly moved from 3k to 5k on my more recent vehicles) but I'm feeling better about increasing it since seeing what they've been doing in Europe.
I'm convinced the 3,000 mile guideline is outdated for modern engines/synthetic oil and is thrown out there just so shops can make money on oil changes and while they are changing your oil perhaps find other things that "need" fixing. If your vehicle is "severe" or heavy duty service perhaps 3,000 mile interval makes sense but for the average driver, it is overkill.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
349 Posts
I'm convinced the 3,000 mile guideline is outdated for modern engines/synthetic oil and is thrown out there just so shops can make money on oil changes and while they are changing your oil perhaps find other things that "need" fixing. If your vehicle is "severe" or heavy duty service perhaps 3,000 mile interval makes sense but for the average driver, it is overkill.
Agree particularly using Synthetic that is clearly overkill. I will still get my first oil changed at about 2,500 to 3,000, could be overkill but there are more shavings from a new engine so one time doing it that early gives me piece of mind.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts