Hyundai Tucson Forum banner

First Oil change

21K views 58 replies 21 participants last post by  phalkon30 
#1 ·
Hello all,

My Tuscon limited hybrid is due for it's first Oil change. The dealership lists the included service as a conventional oil change. With the limited having a turbo should I go for the synthetic? Dealership lists that as a 79 dollar upgrade, which is a little ridiculous tbh. Shot in the dark here but has anyone brought their own oil in to be used lol? Anyone have any recommendations on what oil to use if I should decide to do it myself?

On a side not was this forum reorganized or something? I remember in June there being much more content and two different subforums to browse. It also my account was no longer registered as well in that timeframe.

Thanks in advance.

#2 · (Edited)
$79 upgrade for synthetic? lol! That's pretty ambitious pricing! My dealer practically begs customers to bring their vehicles in for the free oil change because the dealer gets to charge Hyundai $55 for the service. I can get my favorite oil, Valvoline Synthetic, in a 5-qt jug at WalMart for about $25 and the filter is $15 extra. For $40 I can make sure the job is done right and I get to use my favorite oil. I had the dealer fix an oil pan leak which necessitated draining and filling the oil. They overfilled the oil and I had to drain about .7 qt out when I got home. They also left out two of the 14 bolts that fasten the bottom aero cover. This is why I opted to pay out of pocket and do the job myself. My dealer will use my own oil if I bring it in. Your owner's manual specifies synthetic oil, BTW.

#4 ·
Your owner's manual specifies synthetic oil, BTW.
That's what I assumed but hadn't checked thru the manual yet. I'll make the argument and see how it goes. I have a feeling the upcharge is just get people who don't know any better. I never paid for synthetic at Toyota on my included maintenance.

By the way if you decide to change your own oil be prepared to deal with a dozen or so parts including 2 bolts, several fragile plastic clips, 2 panels 2 o-rings and two drain plugs.
That's just a bit overkill. I had assumed it would be a bit more labor intensive but the lengths the manufacturers go to force you to use their service departments is getting to be a bit much. I guess it's just a sign of the times though.

#3 · (Edited)
0-20 oil is only available as a synthetic. I don't think you have to pay that extra charge for synthetic during the free oil change intervals that are included as part of your new car maintenance package. My salesperson suggested to me that I change my oil every 3750 miles so I would get every other oil change free. By the way if you decide to change your own oil be prepared to deal with a dozen or so parts including 2 bolts, several fragile plastic clips, 2 panels 2 o-rings and two drain plugs. I have done my own oil changes 95% of the time during my 50 + years of driving but I'm not going to deal with that nonsense to save a few bucks.

#5 ·
My Honda had a full under body panel for gas mileage, the dealer repeatedly forgot to put clips back or broke them. Honestly got pretty fast at taking it off by the end of owning it, have done the Tucson but it doesn't look that bad

Make them show you what oil they put in, I've read on Facebook several dealers have put 5w30 conventional oil in on the included warranty and only knew it because of how rough the engine was. Dealers are the same level as any other shop in my eyes, have had several that did more stupid damage to my cars than I have

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Our of curiosity, can someone explain me the technical reason why oil changes are so frequent here in US, including modern new cars like a Tucson?
In the Netherlands, my Skoda (Volkswagen) only needed service (incl oil) every 15000 km.
No idea what oil went in there, never thought about it.

#7 ·
Alip, I don't think oil change interval is nation dependent but rather vehicle dependent. I could be wrong but you would have to show same car and different interval to convince me. What is the OCI for a Tucson full hybrid in Scandinavia?

#12 ·
Well, I don't know as i never looked into this, but curious now. Till now i assumed US cars have different localised engines with different oil needs.
I agree with you that, assuming the same engine is placed in a car like the Tucson Hybrid as delivered from South Korea, there should not be a differentation per country.
I looked up Dutch language manual (own translation):

Required oil:
SAE 0W-20, API SN PLUS/SP or ILSAC GF-6
Requires <API SN PLUS (or higher) full synthethic> motoroil. When using motoroil of lower grade (mineral oil, incl. half synthethic) then you need to change the oil and oilfilter according to the severe usage requirements
Rrecommended motoroil (Europe): Shell Helix Ultra AH 0W-20 ; Helix Ultra A5/B5 0W-2

Somehow the page in the chapter where maintenance intervals are listed is omitted (and on the chapter of oil maintenance it just says, follow the interval scheme). However, the Hyundai service webpage generally lists that for this car maintenance is every 15.000 km or every year, which ever would come first. That would include oil, as this is considered part of maintenance.
So, for reasons not clear the US maintenance interval is more conservative?

#9 ·
$79 is a ridiculous up charge for synthetic as you can get a 5 qt jug for $25. I would call and question this with the service manager and see if you could get anywhere with him. I would also question just what they are putting in these cars if they aren't using synthetic. I do know there is a valvoline semi-synthetic that is 0W-20, but the majority of the 0W-20 oils out there are full synthetics. Makes me think they may be putting in a conventional 5W-20 or 5W-30 oil. Hyundai doesn't specify synthetic, but does specify 0W-20.

The oil change itself is pretty straight forward once you know how to remove and properly reinstall the drain valve on the oil filter. It's actually kind of nice as you can drain the filter before removing it so less mess. The 2 small panels that must be removed are no big deal. Do note that the 5.1 qts of oil that the manual says the car takes is wrong. I put in almost 5 qts initially and had to drain some out. It's probably more like 4.5. Next time I'll start with a little less than that and check.

I would like to find an oem hyundai filter for this car at a reasonable price. Our local dealer charged me $22 for a filter and I about choked. I did find some online, but once shipping is added it brings it up to almost the same.

#10 ·
...Hyundai doesn't specify synthetic, but does specify 0W-20.

...I would like to find an oem hyundai filter for this car at a reasonable price. Our local dealer charged me $22 for a filter and I about choked. I did find some online, but once shipping is added it brings it up to almost the same.
Hyundai does specify full synthetic 0w-20 for the hybrid. See pg 2-12 of the manual, note 2.
O'Reilly Auto Parts sells the OEM filter for $15.

#11 ·
I stand corrected (but not totally :) )

From the manual (the footnote):
": Requires < API SN PLUS (or above) Full synthetic> grade engine oil. If a lower grade engine oil (mineral oil including Semi-synthetic) is used, then the engine oil and engine oil filter must be replaced as indicated severe maintenance condition."

Regardless, I think the dealers should be required to use full synthetic at the free maintenance intervals without an up charge, then. But then, these are the same guys that are trying to add 5k to the MSRP of their cars.

I saw those filters at the time, but wasn't convinced they were OEM. Under the "line" description it says PGF for Premium Guard Filters. Maybe Premium Guard makes them for Hyundai, not sure. I do like having a receipt from Hyundai for filters, when I buy them, so there's no reason they could possibly use to deny a warranty claim, especially considering the issues they had with the Sonata engines. Realistically, filter brand should't be a reason, though.

#14 ·
I've had Hyundai's since 2004. The dealer initially always tried to upsell on routine maintenance and apply "severe" intervals. I only allow them to do what is specified in the factory manual for "regular". Never any issues so far... Also, i do oil changes at 5k intervals rather than the specified 7500. This is between regular and severe. It is also easy to remember and hits all the intervals for some of the more extensive services which are at 15k intervals. The local dealer regularly has coupon specials and senior discounts for oil changes so the $ is reasonable. That said, I haven't priced a full synthetic at the dealer.

#15 ·
I never knew that there's a big difference in recommendations in Europe vs the US. Lot's of theories you can find online but no real reason I could find. Interesting info, alip. Same car, same oil spec, different interval. I wonder if in the US, we're just so ingrained with the 3k maintenance interval from the 60's that is still perpetuated by the quick change oil places that we're just slow to adopt anything different. The 8k recommendation for the Tucson seemed long to me (I slowly moved from 3k to 5k on my more recent vehicles) but I'm feeling better about increasing it since seeing what they've been doing in Europe.

#41 ·
I'm convinced the 3,000 mile guideline is outdated for modern engines/synthetic oil and is thrown out there just so shops can make money on oil changes and while they are changing your oil perhaps find other things that "need" fixing. If your vehicle is "severe" or heavy duty service perhaps 3,000 mile interval makes sense but for the average driver, it is overkill.

#16 ·
I just called to schedule my first 3 year free oil change. the dealer told me the interval is different for a turbo engine, 6000 mi. vs. 7500 mi. I wouldn't mind because that would give me an extra free oil change. I can't find anything from Hyundai that confirms this. Has anyone heard this from their dealer?

#19 ·
On a side not was this forum reorganized or something? I remember in June there being much more content and two different subforums to browse. It also my account was no longer registered as well in that timeframe.
Were you here instead?

#21 ·
My Honda HRV had an oil life monitor, I routinely changed the oil at 15% or 10% life which was 12,000 or 13,000 miles on 0w20 synthetic. Up until the day some a-hole rear ended me that car didn't burn a drop of oil and had no blowby that I could detect. Modern engines, oils, and filters can go much longer than they did 40 years ago.

I trust the thousands of Engineers over advice on a forum I guess. If Hyundai recommends 7,500 miles that seems perfectly reasonable to me.

#24 ·
Hyundai is specific about the oil. GF6 0-20. The dealers must use it. If they don't it's on them.
I have ICE and it takes 6 qts. I'm at 900 miles and I'm going to change it at 1000 miles and 5k after that. I will not let the dealer touch my car if at all possible. The oil change is easy and it cost less than $40. Oil $26 and filter $13. I paid almost $40k for this vehicle so it's not a big deal to spend a little on oil. Penszoil makes 0-20 syn. GF6.
Good luck with the dealers.
My $.02 worth.

#26 · (Edited)
Your dealer MUST use the 0-20 full synthetic. That upcharge is $20.00 more than what my dealer charges out of pocket foe a synthetic oil change. Here is my window sticker for my first complimentary oil change.
Liquid Motor vehicle Handwriting Font Gas

There was NO upcharge. Not only that, but because living in the New England climate qualifies as severe conditions according to page 09-12 category "D" my complimentary oil changes are covered by Hyundai according to my dealer and reflected in the dates and mileage on the sticker.

#28 · (Edited)
Your dealer MUST use the 0-20 full synthetic. That upcharge is $20.00 more than what my dealer charges out of pocket foe a synthetic oil change. Here is my window sticker for my first complimentary oil change. View attachment 647

There was NO upcharge. Not only that, but because living in the New England climate qualifies as severe conditions according to page 09-12 category "D" my complimentary oil changes are covered by Hyundai according to my dealer and reflected in the dates and mileage on the sticker.
Just as a follow-up, I am going tomorrow for my next oil change at 12000 miles and the service writer confirmed that there will be no charge for the service. I did read the language in the Hyundai warranty that says it doesn't cover severe usage, so either the service department is misreading the warranty or they are going beyond the warranty requirements. The sticker says 0-20 oil and the service writer confirmed that is what they use so I will take them at their word. By the way, it appears that there is some fuel getting to the oil, as the dipstick reads about 1/8" higher than the full mark, though I can't really detect a fuel smell in the oil.

#30 ·
I like changing my own oil. It's a pleasant ritual on the Tucson Hybrid because the clearance is good under the car. I park two wheels on the curb of a street with a steep crown, throw some cardboard down which makes it easy to slide under and work. Drain plug and filter are easy to get to and the oil from each can be drained without drenching subframes or other car parts and making a huge mess. Mostly, I like assuring that the job is done right. I dislike paying the steep price for the oil and filter, though. So far, the pleasure of the task far outweighs the carrot of free oil and filter for me. The dealer hates it when I do the job myself. That's a $55 perk for them from Hyundai that got away.

#32 ·
Boy do I ever belong all up in this thread. I won't recount all my points in concert with the kindred souls posting here regarding maint. strategies and tactics, but it's kinda eerie my experiences and comments in common in this other thread:

BTW, I just installed Weathermat Mudflaps this afternoon = slick as snot, great fitment. I bought the little slip-in console tray for the wife as well = oem look and'll be quite handy. And can recoomend the TuxMat floormats VERY highly. Gorilla Guard locks are on as well to keep her from becoming victim to crews doing dark parking lot 'take-offs.'

#33 ·
I just did an oil change on my 15 year old Santa Fe and The drain plug was so tight and almost rounded off, I didn’t think I would get it out (finally did), the crush washer was so extruded that I’m sure that’s why they used an impact rathe`r than putting a new washer on drain plug. This wasn’t my Hyundai dealer. AnywaY, I don’t trust a shop to do a good job so I’ll be doing my own on the new Tucson as well as our Santa Fe. For peace of mind, and knowing the job was done correctly And I’ll install a magnetic drain on first change at 1000 miles, probably every 5k after that.

#34 ·
has anybody seen this one?
i'm in usa. i went to get first free oil change from hyundai dealership today, they put 5w20 syn blend in my 22 tucson, non hybrid,2.5 gas engine even though the oil cap states 0w20. when i questioned the service manager, he stated sorry for the confusion but that's what there area service manager rep told them to use and said it was an acceptable oil.
5w20 syn blend. i called hyndai USA to question that info, and they referred me back to that service manager at that dealership. i got a case number, the rep said they would review.

ALSO, if i wanted 0w20 full syn, i could pay the difference.

#35 ·
Search here works pretty well, you will find posts. Imo it will do zero harm but that really isn't the point. You probably should have stayed there and told them it isn't acceptable, Hyundai only says 0W20 and you are not driving it with anything else. Go back and take it up with them again, tell them Hyundai says to only use 0W20 and it's up to them to prove differently and put it in writing that Hyundai authorizes anything but 0W20.. See what they say.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.