Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scored my deep sea blue '22 limited hybrid 2 weeks ago. Looks sharp! Looking for suggestions and reassurance pertaining to the available crossbars and tying down my paddleboard and kayak.
So my 2012 Murano with pano sunroof had the raised rails and the crossbars connected flush on the inside of each rail (no overhanging bar.....don't care for that look). And I would tie down my board/kayak by securing straps primarily around the raised rails crisscrossing around the crossbars where they join the rails.
And so the new Tuscon has the flush mount rails, which appear to be the latest trend with most new vehicles these days. Better wind resistance design I suppose. So first, do all these crossbars with the gripping feet/towers that tighten to the lips of the flush mount rails hold tight as can be? As compared to the older crossbars like on my Murano that are solid screwed into designed points along the raised rails.....I mean, I have no choice anymore, but I suppose the new design holds equally well as the old.....yes? Second, I don't really like the look of the crossbars that extend out past the rails, so I will likely get the ones where the ends of the bars are inside the towers that grip the rails. But how do you generally tie down your kayak or paddleboard to the crossbars? NO, NO CRADLE HERE. DON'T WANT IT. So I suppose I have to tie my straps around the paddleboard and directly to the crossbar. I mean, I suppose if you securely tighten your straps, a paddleboard or kayak or whatever will not be able to slide or shift even a centimeter! Thank you people!

·
Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
457 Posts
I don't have the sunroof so I just throw a couple of pool noodles across the roof and run ratchet straps through the door openings and around the kayaks. They are so secure, is like they are part of the car. I wouldn't try it on a glass roof.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts