Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Denver, Colorado, the weather is starting to nose dive, 20's, lower, 30's a bit higher, and I must inquire, 'is everyone's gas mileage taking a big hit during the cold?' Mine has dropped 7 mpg, from a high of 31.5mpg to now at 24.7 and seemingly dropping daily when I drive the Tucson, any others have this problem?

· Registered
Limited PHEV, Quartz White with grey interior
309 Posts
Here in Denver, Colorado, the weather is starting to nose dive, 20's, lower, 30's a bit higher, and I must inquire, 'is everyone's gas mileage taking a big hit during the cold?' Mine has dropped 7 mpg, from a high of 31.5mpg to now at 24.7 and seemingly dropping daily when I drive the Tucson, any others have this problem?
Mileage typically drops when the refineries switch over to the winter blend. It happened with my Prius (in North Carolina). Also, if you haven't done so already check your tire pressure. It drops 1-2 pounds with each 10 degree drop in temperature. Underinflated tires will decrease mileage.

· Registered
2022 Tucson Preferred
74 Posts
Can confirm, the colder, and icier the roads, the worse mileage you will get. Mine went from ~29Mpg to ~24-25 during our first bit of cold weather. Now that it is back into the positives, even on winter gas, it has gone right back to normal. Try to keep the warmup time of your engine to sub 20 seconds, and just be cognizant of any ice patches at stop signs, and it should help increase your mileage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts