Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
Montreal, QC
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called for a friend looking for a Tucson hybrid HEV luxury or Ultimate
sales person told me he has a black and white Ultimate selling them 57k plus tax. I told him if he was in the States or Canada, he said it s a SUV in demand, I told him it s illegal to charge above MSRP and wished him good luck to find a sucker. Pure Stealer.

· Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
815 Posts
So I see it said dealers can not sell over msrp in Canada. Since I'm not in Canada doesn't affect me. But now I have to ask Is there an official link that states it?

I do see laws about the advertised price must be adhered I see there can be no hidden fees. Is it by Province? Can they advertise higher without calling it a mark up?

· Registered
Montreal, QC
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So over and over I see it said dealers can not sell over msrp in Canada. Since I'm not in Canada doesn't affect me. But now I have to ask Is there an official link that states it?

I do see laws about the advertised price must be adhered to. I see there can be no hidden fees.
Inhttps://joinyaa.com/guides/can-a-dealer-charge-more-than-msrp/ the US pending on the State they can,

in Canada, pending on the Province they cannot charge more then advertised.
In Quebec all fees must be included in the price except taxes.

· Registered
815 Posts
Inhttps://joinyaa.com/guides/can-a-dealer-charge-more-than-msrp/ the US pending on the State they can,

in Canada, pending on the Province they cannot charge more then advertised.
In Quebec all fees must be included in the price except taxes.
If I am missing it I apologize but nothing I see is different from what I posted. I don't see no over msrp allowed.

· Registered
Montreal, QC
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I am missing it I apologize but nothing I see is different from what I posted. I don't see no over msrp allowed.
LAW says, a dealer cannot sell new car more then what was announced. Quebec, I posted the link
Other provinces have that.
Before they would put a price on the paper with an *, but when people would go see the car, all type of fees were added. So Quebec, change the law price announced includes all fees. So people can compare the price from one dealer to another, this pertains to other items. Maybe other provinces may have the same law.
But if you go to Hyundai web site and chose the province the price stated, is the price they ask, mine was $200 less.

· Registered
815 Posts
LAW says, a dealer cannot sell new car more then what was announced. Quebec, I posted the link
Other provinces have that.
Before they would put a price on the paper with an *, but when people would go see the car, all type of fees were added. So Quebec, change the law price announced includes all fees. So people can compare the price from one dealer to another, this pertains to other items. Maybe other provinces may have the same law.
But if you go to Hyundai web site and chose the province the price stated, is the price they ask, mine was $200 less.
And that is not a prohibition on charging over MSRP. I'm wondering if people misunderstand the law?

This article makes no mention these examples are illegal.

· Registered
815 Posts
There is no such law in Canada to my knowledge. It's a misconception that people have.
I think it's only an internal rule that car companies have with dealerships.
It appears that is the case I think. Several posts on sites say they can't but it's charging more than advertised they can't do. As best I can tell.

· Registered
Montreal, QC
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe I put it wrong, but so far here what I have seen is price plus MSRP. Your see the price on their Web site. I don't know of any dealers here asking the premium over the MSRP price.
Like I have seen in the States. or DIXIE Hyundai.

· Registered
815 Posts
Maybe I put it wrong, but so far here what I have seen is price plus MSRP. Your see the price on their Web site. I don't know of any dealers here asking the premium over the MSRP price.
Like I have seen in the States. or DIXIE Hyundai.
You are not alone in saying it so not picking on you at all.

· Registered
10 Posts
I recently had a terrible experience with 401/Dixie. Went to buy a vehicle and when we were talking numbers they had $5k in extras added in which cannot be negotiated out. After sitting with finance I was told that in order to get loan approval I “must have GAP” insurance, which costs $3000 (turns out this was 100% untrue and was approved elsewhere without it). The interest rate was 7.99% for 96 months, outrageous, and again I was told this is my only option. I went to another dealer and was approved at 4.49% for 72 months instead. Make sure you read EVERYTHING if you buy a car here. Do not take their word for anything. I ended up saving over $20,000 on this loan by going elsewhere.

· Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Ultimate
55 Posts
In Canada, a car dealer cannot sell higher than the their advertised price. If the dealer has an ad saying the Tucson Hybrid is $43K, then they need to sell it for that.

It does not mean they cannot sell higher than MSRP.

MSRP means Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price. It does not guarantee that is the price a dealer will charge you.

In this case, the dealer was upfront in telling you they're price gouging. The worst are the ones that tell you one price and then gouge once you're there.

There's zero enforcement on dealers playing games and tacking on mandatory accessories, or changing the price on you.

Just because they're supposed to follow the rules, doesn't mean they do. OMVIC who would enforce this in Ontario is totally toothless.

I think paying over MSRP sucks, but a Tucson Hybrid or PHEV is super hot in demand and there's very limited inventory if you want one now.

· Registered
Montreal, QC
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got a call from my dealer and asked me to go over cause they have my car, and wants to show me and do the paper work, you know the ext. warrantee, tire ins. ect.

Also Nissan dealer called me to make me an offer on my Murano, and asked me how much I wanted, I put 29,000 +tax he said it s way too much, I said for you, but the Huyndai dealer is giving me that much, actually 26,000 + tax. Hey if they want my car they have to pay. LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts