Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A couple weeks ago I took some 1 gallon jugs to get filled with water. When I got home a couple had turned over, but no big deal, the caps where tight, neither where missing any water. A couple days later I noticed how humid it was in the car. I felt around, and the rear passenger side footwell was soaked! Like I could press down and hear it sloshing under the carpet! I toweled up as much as I could (it was under the passenger front seat, too) and put a Damp Rid bag over the area to soak up the rest. It did a good job, within a week or so I couldn't hear any more sloshing. Fast forward to a couple days ago, with big rains from a cold front moving through. Thought nothing of it. Yesterday I get in and its humid as **** (I took the damp rid out 3 or 4 days ago). This morning I check the footwell again because Im putting the Damp Rid bag back in the car, and its completely soaked again! Like, pressing down creates the same sloshing sound again! I KNOW this will one of those typical "We can't find any problem" times at the dealer, they'll keep it for a while, and hand it back no better than when I dropped it off.

Here's a link to a short video I made, not much to see, but you can hear the water sloshing around when I press down on the carpet.

·
Registered
'22 SEL +Convenience +Premium in Intense Blue
45 Posts
My last car (Honda HRV) had many cases of people with blocked sunroof drains, and disconnected drains dow the side of the windshield (on the first model year cars it was disconnected from the factory in some cases)

Take it to the dealer and let them diagnose. If that's not practical, look up how to unclog your sunroof drain with compressed air. High pollen areas and those who park outside are usually candidates for this

Could be other things, but check those first. Can also use a hose and run over parts of the car to see if you can find the source

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for everyone chiming in. The car only has 4500 miles on it, I can’t imagine anything being blocked already, but I suppose it could happen. There’s no moisture from the head liner at all. I’ve opened a case with Hyundai corporate and made an appointment on Monday at my dealer. Hopefully they find what’s up and not the usual “Could Not Replicate”.

·
Registered
'22, Tucson hybrid, SEL convenience
20 Posts
If you didn't actually spill any water in the car, I wouldn't bother to tell them about the jugs. Should be no worry about dealer not being able to replicate. The floor is wet, that's your complaint. If it's still wet when you take it, then it's replicated. It's then up to them to determine the cause and correct it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you didn't actually spill any water in the car, I wouldn't bother to tell them about the jugs. Should be no worry about dealer not being able to replicate. The floor is wet, that's your complaint. If it's still wet when you take it, then it's replicated. It's then up to them to determine the cause and correct it.
Yeah Im not going to tell them about the water jugs, its very apparent to me now they had nothing to do with it, and why give them something to put the blame on. Im worried about possible mold growing in/underneath the carpet and if there's any foam/padding underneath the carpet breaking down from the water exposure, also. Ive done a good job of drying the top dampness, but I can still hear it squishing around when pressing down at certain points on the carpet. I could easily see them not being able to replicate it. Ive had that happen so many times in the past with other cars and issues.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah Im not going to tell them about the water jugs, its very apparent to me now they had nothing to do with it, and why give them something to put the blame on. Im worried about possible mold growing in/underneath the carpet and if there's any foam/padding underneath the carpet breaking down from the water exposure, also. Ive done a good job of drying the top dampness, but I can still hear it squishing around when pressing down at certain points on the carpet. I could easily see them not being able to replicate it. Ive had that happen so many times in the past with other cars and issues.
Can you swing by the dealer ASAP, have them confirm the presence of the water in advance of your Monday service appointment, and then try to get rid of as much moisture as possible with a shop vac or a vacuum at a DIY car wash? You are correct to be worried about your car turning into a biology experiment, especially in South Florida.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you swing by the dealer ASAP, have them confirm the presence of the water in advance of your Monday service appointment, and then try to get rid of as much moisture as possible with a shop vac or a vacuum at a DIY car wash? You are correct to be worried about your car turning into a biology experiment, especially in South Florida.
I’d love to, but unfortunately I work retail…..and that’s not going to be possible this week, lol.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Plan B.............phone video to show them? Squishy enough to hear/see? And/or........Put a paper towel down on the carpet, put some weight on the paper towel and then (presumably) show the water that the towel has absorbed. As you said, you don't want to give them the "could not replicate" escape hole.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Plan B.............phone video to show them? Squishy enough to hear/see? And/or........Put a paper towel down on the carpet, put some weight on the paper towel and then (presumably) show the water that the towel has absorbed. As you said, you don't want to give them the "could not replicate" escape hole.
Not sure if you saw the video I posted on my first posting, but I still have that and plan on showing them when I get there on Monday. Not much to see, but you can definitely hear the water squishing around as I press on the carpeting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brought the car in yesterday, they where able to narrow it down to what they are describing as a leak from a seam in (around?) the A-pillar, but have yet to find it exactly. They have kept it and rented me a car for now. They said they will be of course drying out the carpeting and under padding, and if not as it should be they will replace the whole carpeting.

·
Registered
'22 SEL +Convenience +Premium in Intense Blue
45 Posts
Thank you! The service writer said he's never seen this before, but who knows, lol. He may say that to everyone about everything. Hopefully this doesn't take too long to get straightened out.🤞🤞
Considering how few are on the market, that may be true. I'd call BS if they've never seen it on any other car though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally got a hold of my service writer. He said the glass guy has come in a few times, and still can't find where the water is originating from. So now he has to have a tech drop the roof liner, and then the glass guy has to come back to see if its coming from the sunroof, or maybe the roof racks.....its definitely starting higher and running down the A pillar, in to the passenger side footwell.

·
Registered
'22, Tucson hybrid, SEL convenience
20 Posts
Funny they have to call the "glass guy" in. Back in a previous life when I was a dealership tech, we did it all, and called in one of the bodyshop guys if we needed help with any of the trim. Pull off the necessary inside panels only if necessary, put the blower on high and close the car up. Soap the outside up, and it blows bubbles where the water leak is. Not too hard to diagnose, actually. Apparently they don't know that trick :(. Fixing it could take time if you had to do it from the inside.

·
Registered
63 Posts
THE "A" pillar is at the side of the windshield. I doubt if the leak is there if the only wet part is the passenger footwell. I read somewhere, can't remember where, about someone finding water entering from the front cowl where the wipers are attached and going through the ventilation intake that's there, into the rear ducts on the floor. That's a good idea with the soap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts