Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being that I'm old school and about to receive my Tucson Limited Hybrid the end of the month, how reliable are the infotainment systems on the Hyundai's and how many glitches have shown up that need to go back to the service dept? Do they go through updates like your home computer and if so, how do the updates get uploaded? Do you need WiFi from home or is all done through Hyundai's Blue-Link which I imagine you have to pay for after the first 3 years are up. What's the annual cost for this service and is it absolutely necessary to have? Will the GPS system still work without it? Lastly, do I need to take a college course to learn the intricacies of operation? If you have any other thoughts you would like to share I'm "listening". Thanks.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Limited PHEV Amazon Gray / Black. 2022 Tucson SEL PHEV Shimmering Silver / Gray
182 Posts
Being that I'm old school and about to receive my Tucson Limited Hybrid the end of the month, how reliable are the infotainment systems on the Hyundai's and how many glitches have shown up that need to go back to the service dept? Do they go through updates like your home computer and if so, how do the updates get uploaded? Do you need WiFi from home or is all done through Hyundai's Blue-Link which I imagine you have to pay for after the first 3 years are up. What's the annual cost for this service and is it absolutely necessary to have? Will the GPS system still work without it? Lastly, do I need to take a college course to learn the intricacies of operation? If you have any other thoughts you would like to share I'm "listening". Thanks.
All good questions to ask your salesman

·
Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
457 Posts
I hope you have a lot of time on your hands. If you care to use all the tech, it is going to take awhile to learn. Even starting the car, since you have a hybrid, is going to be a learning experience for you, since I believe it is a pushbutton start as well as a pushbutton shifter and a pushbutton parking brake. Infotainment systems and HVAC on your car are almost completely touch screen, so you will have to develop some muscle memory before you will be able to do much without taking your eyes off the road. I haven't read too many negative comments about glitches or reliability, other than some complaints about the "piano black" plastic. There are no less than a dozen buttons on the steering wheel that operate cruise control, radio function, system menus etc. You have the radio, backup camera, Android Auto and navigation all on the same screen, so you likely will leave the dealership with a lot to learn, unless you have a good salesman who is willing to do his job properly. (ask me how I know). As far as I know, updates have to be downloaded on a memory stick and installed by the owner. I haven't read anywhere here about dealers providing that service. Most of these updates aren't required to drive the car anyway, so I wouldn't make that a priority. I would strongly suggest you don't bother with any of that Blue Link nonsense until you have all the basics down pat. I have had my car for almost a year and I don't use Blue Link. It is a lot, but don't be intimidated. Once you get your hands on the thing, it should get familiar fairly quickly. Best of luck, and don't hesitate to ask for help anytime. My outlook is, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers ( hopefully you don't consider these answers as such). Here is a link to the manual. The dealer could have provided it for you as easily as I did. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2022 Black on Black Tucson Hybrid SEL Convenience
52 Posts
Hyundai also offers a line of how-to videos that are very straight forward, I've learned quite a few things that way. Half the fun (ok ... 2/3 of the fun) is getting to know the vehicle.
I hope you enjoy the ride both figuratively and actually. Please let us know how it is going once you get rolling.

·
Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
457 Posts
lol, they know less about the car than the OP. You think the salesperson will make any negative comment about a car they are trying to sell?
I would say that out of 15 or so new cars I have purchased over the years, I don't think any salesman knew more about the car than I did. I have always done my research. Even with the Tucson, one of the salesmen I talked to told me the paddles were for regenerative braking. Pathetic.

·
Registered
2022 Limited PHEV in Shimmering Silver and gray
3 Posts
I'm old school and I've had my Tuscon Limited PHEV a whole 5 days. I love it.

The car is so quiet, you forget it's on. I turn it off accidentally once a day. I also have forgotten to turn it off, but the car will ding at you. The seat will move backward when you shut the car off and open the door, so if it doesn't, check to see if it's running. LOL

I managed to update my navigation system yesterday with no trouble.

The voice commands are very conversational. I even asked about hockey scores!

The touch screen is just like a tablet.

We tried out the driver assist and it worked great at 60 mph with a 45 mph crosswind. It corrected nicely and didn't jerk. It was easy to use and right on the steering wheel.

Like I stated above, I've only had this car 5 days, but I'm really enjoying it.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
643 Posts
Terrific replies here.
Yes, do some homework yourself because the salesman may not know as much as you might think. I had an overall good salesman, did know alot of answers even contradicted (correctly) the service manager about a question I had - But even he did not know Hyundai only recommends 0W20 now and thought the free oil changes were going to be blended. (This dealer only uses 0W20 Syn)

I am pretty good with technology and it took me reading the manual in places a few times and still needing some answers from people here on a few things.

Bottom line for me, it has been worth all of the learning. The technology overall is very good and can make trips and even around town a better experience. Hyundai's stop and go as one example is really good.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Believe me, I've been spending copious hours of research on the Tucson from stem to stern and top to bottom. You can read all you want but you know, sometimes it's better hearing the info from other owners first hand. That being said, I do appreciate all the comments and insight everyone has provided. I already talked to my sales rep this morning picking his brain. I think he and the Tin Man have a lot in common when it comes to brains.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Limited
9 Posts
Yesterday while at a red light my car dinged at me and told me the vehicle ahead of me moved...wasn't expecting that lol.
I love my car. The color wasn't my first choice but it grew on me. The technology is amazing and you will learn as you go. Some features you may never need or use. Being garage kept I was thankful that you can pick how high your back door will open. So easy to set it too. Hold the door to the height you want then hold down the close door button on the door until it dings twice!

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL Convenience
96 Posts
Dakasis, I'm right by here with you. Coming from a 15 year-old Mazdaspeed 3 which is totally old school right down to the 6-speed manual tranny, my new HEV SEL is by far the biggest vehicle I've ever owned...and the most technically sophisticated. My salesman spent close to an hour going over all the major stuff with me and answering my myriad of questions, and that at 8 o'clock in the evening after all the paperwork was finished. He had definitely taken full advantage of Hyundai and dealership training on the new hybrids. Probably one of the most knowledgeable auto salespersons I have ever dealt with.

I've had the car for a whopping two days now, and it is most certainly a learning curve. It took me 20 minutes just to program the HomeLink garage door opener because I apparently missed the part about the vehicle having to be completely on, not just accessories. Today, i took and made phone calls through the system for the first time. Welcome to the 21st Century!

I really like the lane keeper assist feature. Since I'm coming from a much, much smaller vehicle it's been very useful in helping me learn how wide the car is and how to judge lane positioning visually. Backing into the garage is still a learning curve. I could do it consistently in one shot in the Mazda, but still working to get my angles right so I'm not too close to the support post and far enough back for the garage door to close.

I expect it will take a week or two before I'm reasonably comfortable with at least 80% of the new tech, but overall well worth the nearly two months to get the car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dakasis, I'm right by here with you. Coming from a 15 year-old Mazdaspeed 3 which is totally old school right down to the 6-speed manual tranny, my new HEV SEL is by far the biggest vehicle I've ever owned...and the most technically sophisticated. My salesman spent close to an hour going over all the major stuff with me and answering my myriad of questions, and that at 8 o'clock in the evening after all the paperwork was finished. He had definitely taken full advantage of Hyundai and dealership training on the new hybrids. Probably one of the most knowledgeable auto salespersons I have ever dealt with.

I've had the car for a whopping two days now, and it is most certainly a learning curve. It took me 20 minutes just to program the HomeLink garage door opener because I apparently missed the part about the vehicle having to be completely on, not just accessories. Today, i took and made phone calls through the system for the first time. Welcome to the 21st Century!

I really like the lane keeper assist feature. Since I'm coming from a much, much smaller vehicle it's been very useful in helping me learn how wide the car is and how to judge lane positioning visually. Backing into the garage is still a learning curve. I could do it consistently in one shot in the Mazda, but still working to get my angles right so I'm not too close to the support post and far enough back for the garage door to close.

I expect it will take a week or two before I'm reasonably comfortable with at least 80% of the new tech, but overall well worth the nearly two months to get the car.
I hear ya. My Juke is about the same size as your Mazdaspeed 3. I appreciate the time you spent writing this. I know for a fact this old dog will have to learn this new technology and as you said, it’ll some time. Being retired I now have plenty of that. Thanks.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL Convenience
96 Posts
I hear ya. My Juke is about the same size as your Mazdaspeed 3. I appreciate the time you spent writing this. I know for a fact this old dog will have to learn this new technology and as you said, it’ll some time. Being retired I now have plenty of that. Thanks.
The Juke is actually quite a bit larger than the Speed 3. BTW, I guess I could be considered an "old dog" by some standards - 69 years young - but age is just a number and IMHO aging is as much or more between the ears rather than below the neck.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Limited
9 Posts
I did not take the tutorial offered by the salesman. I wanted to learn on my own and did not want him teaching me his ways. I learn better by trial and error. So I drove the hour home and I think I was grinning the whole way too lol. My husband was following me in his truck and he called me a speed demon when we got home. You can't tell that you are going 80 at all. If something comes up like my 30 year old son noticed the music matching your speed (something I didn't notice) you can adjust to your liking or youtube it.
I did research the basics about the regenerative braking and all before hand.
I had my Hyundai Elantra (manual) for 10 years. I am still trying to grab my stick and pull the keys out...need more time for that lol.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Ultimate
6 Posts
I hope you have a lot of time on your hands. If you care to use all the tech, it is going to take awhile to learn. Even starting the car, since you have a hybrid, is going to be a learning experience for you, since I believe it is a pushbutton start as well as a pushbutton shifter and a pushbutton parking brake. Infotainment systems and HVAC on your car are almost completely touch screen, so you will have to develop some muscle memory before you will be able to do much without taking your eyes off the road. I haven't read too many negative comments about glitches or reliability, other than some complaints about the "piano black" plastic. There are no less than a dozen buttons on the steering wheel that operate cruise control, radio function, system menus etc. You have the radio, backup camera, Android Auto and navigation all on the same screen, so you likely will leave the dealership with a lot to learn, unless you have a good salesman who is willing to do his job properly. (ask me how I know). As far as I know, updates have to be downloaded on a memory stick and installed by the owner. I haven't read anywhere here about dealers providing that service. Most of these updates aren't required to drive the car anyway, so I wouldn't make that a priority. I would strongly suggest you don't bother with any of that Blue Link nonsense until you have all the basics down pat. I have had my car for almost a year and I don't use Blue Link. It is a lot, but don't be intimidated. Once you get your hands on the thing, it should get familiar fairly quickly. Best of luck, and don't hesitate to ask for help anytime. My outlook is, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers ( hopefully you don't consider these answers as such). Here is a link to the manual. The dealer could have provided it for you as easily as I did. Enjoy.

I am in the UK and have had a Tucson Hybrid (Ultimate) since Nov 2021, vehicle has just had a recall(not safety related) for a faulty oil seal, whilst in the workshop 1 week ago the infotainment system software was updated and since then it has frozen twice and I have had to reset it, so back to the dealers it will go. the ventialtion screen sometimes reamains blank when starting the car and then defaults back to 22 C regardless of previous setting, this also resets the mileage since refuelling, dealer has been told of this when vehicle ws in but is at a loss as to why it does this

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
643 Posts
I am in the UK and have had a Tucson Hybrid (Ultimate) since Nov 2021, vehicle has just had a recall(not safety related) for a faulty oil seal, whilst in the workshop 1 week ago the infotainment system software was updated and since then it has frozen twice and I have had to reset it, so back to the dealers it will go. the ventialtion screen sometimes reamains blank when starting the car and then defaults back to 22 C regardless of previous setting, this also resets the mileage since refuelling, dealer has been told of this when vehicle ws in but is at a loss as to why it does this
I have seen some of those things seemingly more with the Hybrid in other posts. Does the blank screen, setting to 72 (22) and mpg reset happen after it has been sitting for a couple of days or more?

·
Registered
Hybrid Limited
148 Posts
I have not seen (yet 😋) issue with climate control settings being reset - whatever I set, it remembers and keeps at the next start up. Any chance that those who have experienced such resets - do not have /didn't create their personal car driver profile? Just a thought...

·
Registered
154 Posts
No, this is a real problem. It's not just the temp that gets reset - and it only happens every once in a while. Yes, I have a profile.

Alan

1 - 20 of 25 Posts