Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, forgive me if this has been discussed previously ad nauseum, but as someone new to Hyundai, I came across the following article: St. Paul PD: Kia thefts up 1,300%, Hyundai thefts up 584% in 2022

Of interest to me was this snippet:

Graham explained these specific makes are easier to steal because of what he called a "manufacturer's defect." The vehicles were made without engine immobilizers, an electronic security device that make it more difficult to start a vehicle without a key.

"If you strip the ignition column, there's a piece that pops off and you can stick a USB drive, a knife, or something like that. Well, think about how many people charge their cell phones in their cars. The exact part they need to steal that car is featured in most people's cars," Graham said.
Is this media sensationalism, or are Hyundai vehicles "easier" to steal than other cars? If so, any precautions that should be taken apart from those listed in the above article. Would be interesting to get some viewpoints.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great question, we've been wondering about this, too.
Ironic how people are putting YouTube videos demonstrating how to break into and steal Kias and Hyundais.
Interesting article: Hyundai, Kia Take Action after Cars Become Theft Targets in Milwaukee
BUT WAIT! YouTube and the internet are also full of videos and Amazon reviews, etc. about how easy it is to defeat steering wheel locks!
I wonder if a class action suit would eventually make Hyundai and Kia step up to fix this flaw.
Wisconsin already has something rolling out:

·
Registered
227 Posts
No, very first I've heard of this anywhere, thanks! And I'm SAS gonna 'FOLLOW'.

I have a question now. As the article on the Class Action is from over a year ago last June, and the police dept. article is from December, is there any more recent intel on Hyundai's current status with the fix/correction? From what I researched along the 3 months of ordering mine, I did notice that quirks and failures being reported by owners when this gen first rolled out had 'mysteriously vanished' from the list of problems and no longer evident by the time we took delivery this April. I'd sure like to know any way to check and confirm if ours has the previously omitted 'engine immobilizer'. I'll be searching.

For reference, I had already been investigating about thieves stealing the RF signal as a driver would lock their door in a parking lot and such. Something about a 'Faraday Bag' being the only apparent solution to block the signal. The biggest problem with those currently on the market appear as terribly bulky,.... and even those that work don't seem to for very long (mostly worn or crappy stitching).

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Ultimate
42 Posts
Honda, Lexus, and Toyota have immobilizers and they still get stolen like crazy. Thieves take a picture of the VIN number and are able to generate a FOB that allows them to steal the car without hotwiring.

I wonder what year Hyundai started installing immobilizers. Pretty sure it was a few years back by now.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
643 Posts
Stories are true couple of clarifications. Newest models not affected.
From reading law sites the suit may not succeed. It is not a defect there is no law cars have to have it and Hyundai it does not seem ever said that is a feature. Doesn't mean Hyundai/Kia won't take some action but cost will be a big factor.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hhmmm. Another hhmmm. If it turns out the OP of the thread below thinks the indicator they saw is indeed this 'immobilizer'. If so, then it would appear at least the hybrids have it. Let's see if they weigh back in and confirm what they saw. And then even if so, I'm seeing more and more weird quirks about unexpected even confusing differences associated with the hybrids coming out of Korea v. gassers coming out of Montgomery - hell maybe Czech Republic as well.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well alrightie then. We have confirmation that at least hybrids with this configuration (N line S TGDi MHEV 4x4 SA), and at least for the British market, do have the Immobilizer.
OR, they might only get the indicator light connected to nothing which temporarily shorts out for the light to flash randomly.

Give it some time to see if there's any codes that eventually get read.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
643 Posts
All new Hyundais and Kias have the immobilizer system. No matter the type or where built. Well covered in the news.

Also one Judge as predicted has already sent the lawsuit back for them to show where Hyunai and Kia broke a law or had false advertising. But she did not outright dismiss it so it isn't dead.

·
Registered
227 Posts
All new Hyundais and Kias have the immobilizer system. No matter the type or where built. Well covered in the news.

Also one Judge as predicted has already sent the lawsuit back for them to show where Hyunai and Kia broke a law or had false advertising. But she did not outright dismiss it so it isn't dead.
Ah so, now I get your reference up there to "Current models not affected."

Earlier I had not read much further than the headline about steering wheel locks, but here in the same article:
Font Rectangle Circle Magenta Event

1 - 11 of 11 Posts