Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start my Ultimate hybrid (about 2000 km) and drive, it seems to now take at least 4km of driving before the EV kicks in. This is in town, slow driving. The gas engine idles at red lights, and then after around 4 km with no change in driving style, the battery kicks in. Doesn't matter whether the climate system is off, whether the battery charge is 3/4 full, or whether the outside temperature is -10 or +10. I don't recall it being like this when we first got the vehicle. This just mine? Going to call the dealer, but hoping for some feedback here first.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Ultimate Hybrid White/Grey
103 Posts
I find that my engine needs to run until it reaches about 50C before it stays in EV mode. Engine typically starts again when temperature drops below that level. As outside temps increase, you should notice the engine warming up quicker.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson PHEV Luxury
61 Posts
When I start my Ultimate hybrid (about 2000 km) and drive, it seems to now take at least 4km of driving before the EV kicks in. This is in town, slow driving. The gas engine idles at red lights, and then after around 4 km with no change in driving style, the battery kicks in. Doesn't matter whether the climate system is off, whether the battery charge is 3/4 full, or whether the outside temperature is -10 or +10. I don't recall it being like this when we first got the vehicle. This just mine? Going to call the dealer, but hoping for some feedback here first.
Hi @yyzdriver, welcome to the forum.

Like @mungo544 said, there are a lot of variables for the ICE to start and stop but, just so you know, if you request Cabin heat, the ICE will kick in to heat up the ICE fluids. The ICE will remain running until the internal fluid will reach a preset hot temperature.
The ICE fluid is used by HEV and PHEV to provide the cabin heat.

If you can endure the cold for your ride 🥶, place the HVAC settings to "LO" before you start the car and you will have outside air circulation in the cabin to prevent window frost.
I do all my commutes in this mode in 100% full EV at -11c. I noted that fresh air creeps in the cabin at highway speeds even the fan is OFF, so once I reach highway speeds, I turn HVAC to OFF since a little breeze comes in the cabin anyway.

This of course if good it you want to use 0 fuel, I you like a comfy hot cabin, set the HVAC to the temperature you want and the car will manage the switch from ICE to EV for you as needed.
Its a personal choice based on you compromise capacity and priorities ;).
This question comes up so often, I'm thinking of making a YouTube vid to help before winter ends.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Ultimate Hybrid White/Grey
103 Posts
HEV and PHEV are different animals. With HEV, you can’t drive for more than 100 meters when the car is cold regardless of climate control settings and during present climate conditions and yes, if the charge in the battery is more than half at startup, it will stay in EV mode slightly longer. The ICE is still your primary source of power in the HEV and it needs to reach a certain operating temperature. The warmer it is outside, the quicker the car will heat up and quicker it will enter EV mode at stop lights but it still requires the engine to run to charge the battery.
Another thing to consider is if you park outside in winter, the battery won’t charge nearly as quickly until it warms up as this is a characteristic of lithium ion batteries.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts