Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are debating which trim level to buy? Is it worth spending an extra $4000 for the limited. The limited car play is wired compared to the SEL trim. Did anyone buy the SEL convenience and premium package but realized they should have spent the extra money and bought the limited. Any advice pro or con?

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
634 Posts
We are debating which trim level to buy? Is it worth spending an extra $4000 for the limited. The limited car play is wired compared to the SEL trim. Did anyone buy the SEL convenience and premium package but realized they should have spent the extra money and bought the limited. Any advice pro or con?
Not sure I have see hype about the limited! About the Tucson in general yes though it really is a stand out in the class. And the difference in cost Is much closer to $5,000 difference here. (33 vs 38) Only you can decide if the features only available on the limited is worth it. Hyundai site shows the differences. (Such as panoramic roof, built in navigation etc)

·
Registered
'22 SEL +Convenience +Premium in Intense Blue
136 Posts
I went with the SEL Convenience Premium and love it. As a tall person the panoramic roof lowers the ceiling and it wouldn't be comfortable, wireless Android auto was a huge selling point that you lose on the limited, I don't need built in maps, you still get 19s and the fancy speedometer screen

Only thing I miss is the 360 camera, all the other sensors and stuff sound annoying to me

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
I went with the SEL Convenience Premium and love it. As a tall person the panoramic roof lowers the ceiling and it wouldn't be comfortable, wireless Android auto was a huge selling point that you lose on the limited, I don't need built in maps, you still get 19s and the fancy speedometer screen

Only thing I miss is the 360 camera, all the other sensors and stuff sound annoying to me

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Thkx - you saved me all the typing. In putting together my wife's Forever Car and replacement for her 20-year old Tribute we first combed all the trims and the Limited's Panoramic Roof (actually any sunroof) was a strong 'Do Not Want'. And as ok boomers the hefty uptrim $$$$ for the rest of the sensors and even the fancy camera were annoyingly useless. So, that made it easy to simply start with the good grouping of features in the SEL. And those Koreans are as crafty as any, so half the 'must-haves' from the Conv. list forced us to get the rest of the glop in Option 2, and likewise I just wanted her to have the leather seats from the Prem. list which required all of Option 3.

I mean really, 10 running lights? A 'Black Chrome' grille? Kind'a Queen Family Truckster looking but that's modern style. And we're both almost deaf now so what're we gonna do with 2 more channels on the radio?
And stay off our lawn! ;)

Seriously, she's very pleased with exactly all what's there, and she's trying hard to get through that 400-page owner's manual. The TuxMats, mudguards, console insert and wheel locks are just icing on the cake (so far). I'm hunting down a correct dia. donut spare. The spare it comes with can't be any good for the AWD drivetrain.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Limited owner here. The extras are nice but I wouldn't say an additional $4000 nice. Fortunately ours was not that much more, we got a pretty good deal wherein it was about $1300 more than an SEL Convience we were looking at. My wife liked the color of the LTD better and we all know how that goes. The standout features of the LTD are of course the SMARHT PAHRK which you'll never use unless you're in an apartment like setting. If that's the case, you're going to have door dings galore. The feature is nice to show off to kids or grandkids, but once the novelty wears off, it's pretty useless. Although my wife has used it a couple of times to avoid rain puddles🤔 The better feature in the LTD is the blind spot monitors in the instrument panel although after many years looking over my shoulder, it's a habit I can't break so I still do that as a reflex. The 360 camera is nice but again, my head on a swivel is my go to maneuver so I don't get much use out of it either. The panoramic roof is great for the sunlight it provides but a regular moonroof would be fine as well. I guess I'm saying all this to say, if you got the extra scratch and you feel like splurging to treat yourself, go for the LTD. Obviously the extra features you get are not necessary and if you feel the extra money is better spent elsewhere, go for the SEL Convience.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
634 Posts
.... And those Koreans are as crafty as any, so half the 'must-haves' from the Conv. list forced us to get the rest of the glop in Option 2, and likewise I just wanted her to have the leather seats from the Prem. list which required all of Option 3. ...
You haven't bought a new car in a very long time I'm guessing? :D Packages has been the only way to get most accessories for a very long with manufactures. And yep, they all know the more wanted ones and break them up somewhat into different packages.

With that however, for me the SEL with Convenience, Premium, Cargo packages is nearly the perfect middle ground to not spending $4,000 to $5000 more for the Limited.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Preferred
70 Posts
We have an SEL (Preferred trim level in Canada) as a work vehicle, and for use saving a bunch of money on the lease was worth it much more over some addons that added little value. Even if I was buying it for personal usage, I don't see any benefits in the majority of the expensive options, and packages. Honestly plugging in for Android Auto is nice because it gets to be a pain in the ass when you have no need for android auto, and it automatically connects. It's nice to have the phone charging while actively using maps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a PHEV Limited and I use the camera system every day and smart cruise control most of the time I'm on the freeway now. With that said, the Hybrid SEL Convenience is the best value for all of these cars and I totally would be fine getting that car versus the limited. Smart park and the sound system aren't really worth the added value, but smart park has come in handy once or twice so far. Due to the tax incentives I got, it really made getting the PHEV limited a no brainer when it was available.

·
Registered
Hybrid Limited
146 Posts
I have a PHEV Limited and I use the camera system every day and smart cruise control most of the time I'm on the freeway now. With that said, the Hybrid SEL Convenience is the best value for all of these cars and I totally would be fine getting that car versus the limited. Smart park and the sound system aren't really worth the added value, but smart park has come in handy once or twice so far. Due to the tax incentives I got, it really made getting the PHEV limited a no brainer when it was available.
I noticed that original poster wrote "Did anyone buy the SEL convenience and premium package..." - and such combination of packages is only available on ICE model.
So, I am not sure if OP actually even considering HEV or PHEV at all but there are "different differences" for SEL in ICE vs SEL in HEV vs SEL in PHEV in comparison to their corresponding "twins" in Limited ICE/HEV/PHEV trims ( see links below for detailed comparison) .
2022 Hyundai TUCSON | Specs

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/vehicles/tucson-hybrid/compare-specs

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/vehicles/tucson-plug-in-hybrid/compare-specs

·
Registered
227 Posts
You haven't bought a new car in a very long time I'm guessing? :D Packages has been the only way to get most accessories for a very long with manufactures. And yep, they all know the more wanted ones and break them up somewhat into different packages.

With that however, for me the SEL with Convenience, Premium, Cargo packages is nearly the perfect middle ground to not spending $4,000 to $5000 more for the Limited.
You're right, and of course the old saw from the '70's was that there were over 14M different permutations of ordering options for any GM off the line. By the time of the wife's first-ever brand new purchase ('92 Explorer) all the domestics had lined in with the Japanese with Ford only having an XL, XLT and that new-fangled yippie Eddie Bower Edition. Ford back then had one of the first visions of offering a fully gentrified SUV and those things were flying outta the showroom, orange peel, crap fit n finish, truck front suspension, and all. They weren't coming off MSRP one penny, and the dealer was pretty sour that I had gotten the 'Partner 'X' Plan' discount. So they tried hard to get us in the Eddie Bauer. But hated the busy green-n-tan tu-tone and brown interior, so demanded the XLT with every option plus gray leather, but also a 'delete' for that poser luggage rack (actually a surprise $200 credit).
The new Tribute 10 years later was the same. LT I think to start, then LS and ES. My wife said she liked them so I found a model year old still brand new ES on a dealer's back lot and gave them my 'take it or leave it' figure. I don't generally put up with dealer trade-in monkey shines as part of any transaction, but they begged me for a trade-in, any trade-in. So I limped that Explorer in that wasn't worth the tow to the junkyard. I was going to give to charity and my son had to add a qt. of tranny fluid on the drive in to the dealer. They must have really needed to get rid of that Tribute, because they gave that poor Ford the $thousands in 'value' to make the deal work. Yah, brand new car buying is so fun, that's why I don't do it but every 2 decades.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Personally, I did not want leather seats or a panoramic sunroof so I went with SEL Convenience. I find cloth seats more comfortable (unless it's very high quality/soft leather) and pano roofs take up too much headroom for us tall people. The SEL Convenience has all the bellsand whistles I need. The only things I'd like to have that I don't is the 360 camera and perhaps the Bose sound system.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Personally, I did not want leather seats or a panoramic sunroof so I went with SEL Convenience. I find cloth seats more comfortable (unless it's very high quality/soft leather) and pano roofs take up too much headroom for us tall people. The SEL Convenience has all the bellsand whistles I need. The only things I'd like to have that I don't is the 360 camera and perhaps the Bose sound system.
Interesting perspective, and not at all without valid basis. I'll admit we were sort of intrigued that there's now notation and promotion in the sales lit. of the 'special stain resistant' cloth. But, after growing up with all the velour and plain cloth interiors (much of them easily stained and dirt-catching vintage), we took the v. satisfactory experiences of almost all of our more recent cars with at least 'leather seating surfaces' (in actuality all the rest of the interior is typically vinyl) and made leather a 'must have' anyway. The positives of that inert and easily cleaned finish appear could be mitigated slightly though with all the perforations over the entire seat for the 'ventilated' feature (which the wife remarked as 'sounds interesting and might be nice') So, I popped for it all in the end. We'll see. Well she will, as it's pretty much just hers.

Otherwise, the 'still more $$$$ for the Limited' v. just the SEL-Conv.-Prem. was just not worth it, and with the Panoramic Roof being the biggest 'Nope, not having it', and we really wished we could have deleted the reg. sunroof in the Conv. Pack. as well. Vinyl, and all sunroofs are just, "that's so '80's" for us.

Finally, your comments highlighted above just show how everyone's different. We wouldn't get any more value from the surround camera than a selfie stick, and the fancy 8-chan radio is rather wasted on a couple of ok boomers, - already gone deaf from '70's quad channel and studio towers all turned to 13. ;)

Vive le Differanse

·
Registered
159 Posts
Limited owner here. The extras are nice but I wouldn't say an additional $4000 nice. Fortunately ours was not that much more, we got a pretty good deal wherein it was about $1300 more than an SEL Convience we were looking at. My wife liked the color of the LTD better and we all know how that goes. The standout features of the LTD are of course the SMARHT PAHRK which you'll never use unless you're in an apartment like setting. If that's the case, you're going to have door dings galore. The feature is nice to show off to kids or grandkids, but once the novelty wears off, it's pretty useless. Although my wife has used it a couple of times to avoid rain puddles🤔 The better feature in the LTD is the blind spot monitors in the instrument panel although after many years looking over my shoulder, it's a habit I can't break so I still do that as a reflex. The 360 camera is nice but again, my head on a swivel is my go to maneuver so I don't get much use out of it either. The panoramic roof is great for the sunlight it provides but a regular moonroof would be fine as well. I guess I'm saying all this to say, if you got the extra scratch and you feel like splurging to treat yourself, go for the LTD. Obviously the extra features you get are not necessary and if you feel the extra money is better spent elsewhere, go for the SEL Convience.
For me, after having to take a 2022 Tucson with Convenience and Premier pkgs. I would rather have the Limited. I like the look of the panoramic roof (the sunroof in mine is smaller than anything in any vehicle I've had previously), and although I don't seem to need navigation, I'd like to have it, have had it before and it came in handy. There were No Limited models coming in in Calypso and light gray, and I was anxious to get a new one, so I really didn't get a chance to choose.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went with SEL Conv/Premium specifically because I wanted wireless Carplay/Android Auto and a regular gear selector, not push buttons. Now, would I buy this vehicle again? Probably not, but those are the main reasons for choosing this trim.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I went with SEL Conv/Premium specifically because I wanted wireless Carplay/Android Auto and a regular gear selector, not push buttons. Now, would I buy this vehicle again? Probably not, but those are the main reasons for choosing this trim.
Just to clarify, you'd opt for a different trim now? Or, a whole 'nother vehicle as in not a Tucson again....What would your new car be in either case?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just to clarify, you'd opt for a different trim now? Or, a whole 'nother vehicle as in not a Tucson again....What would your new car be in either case?
I don't think I'd buy the Tucson again. And I probably won't keep it long. Interested in seeing the new CRV, but otherwise, not sure which direction I would go. The engine is really weak. Even compared to my wife's 2021 Sportage, which, I think, has the same or similar engine. I like the tech, but that's about it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Oh I like my Tucson, I just miss having those few options that come with the Limited model. ...I don't have a cellphone, so I know I'm missing some features available through the phone.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't think I'd buy the Tucson again. And I probably won't keep it long. Interested in seeing the new CRV, but otherwise, not sure which direction I would go. The engine is really weak. Even compared to my wife's 2021 Sportage, which, I think, has the same or similar engine. I like the tech, but that's about it.
I suspected near as much, and really on the same page. The engine is literally the ONLY weak sauce in an otherwise perfect ride. I mentioned before the antique 20-year old Ford 3.0 DOHC -6 in her Tribute was and still is hands-down a stronger pulling motor by comparison.

But this is the wife's dreamboat and it sure fits the bill perfectly - comfort, amenities, space, especially safety. And yah, the warranty really turns her on too. I suspect the 2.5 --> might <-- get a turbo soon. But, suspect even more that them Koreans see errbody climbing on the hybrid/plug-in train and less attention on straight gassers years to come.

Good luck in your hunt, and you should get a pretty penny for the Tucson.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I suspected near as much, and really on the same page. The engine is literally the ONLY weak sauce in an otherwise perfect ride. I mentioned before the antique 20-year old Ford 3.0 DOHC -6 in her Tribute was and still is hands-down a stronger pulling motor by comparison.

But this is the wife's dreamboat and it sure fits the bill perfectly - comfort, amenities, space, especially safety. And yah, the warranty really turns her on too. I suspect the 2.5 --> might <-- get a turbo soon. But, suspect even more that them Koreans see errbody climbing on the hybrid/plug-in train and less attention on straight gassers years to come.

Good luck in your hunt, and you should get a pretty penny for the Tucson.
I DO enjoy the ventilated seats, so I may not want to give them up, lol. Looks like we have the same rig. (mine is portofino gray, as well)

·
Registered
227 Posts
I DO enjoy the ventilated seats, so I may not want to give them up, lol. Looks like we have the same rig. (mine is portofino gray, as well)
Tastes are different of course. As I expected, the wife did not hunt out the boldest brightest colors when first looking at the available options, and the blue and the red are just outright loud for her taste. We've had more than our fair share of both white and black cars over the decades to crave those again. Besides, my current driver is white and the garage queen is black so we're covered.

She generally sides with more of the silver and grayer shades to start with, so the remaining choices pretty much boiled down to the Amazon, the Portofino and the silver. And for vehicles as this, both SUVs and pickups nowadays that are designed with a large area of cladding, both the wife and I prefer the paint to match closely for its unifying effect.

We had seen a Portofino in person (don't even recall if it was a Tucson), and the Amazon was intriguing but none anywhere locally to be found. But the many pics we poured over seemed to show everything from 'olive' to 'teal' to 'army' greens, and she ended up favoring the straightforward charcoal Portofino. The whole decision-making process went like this, but she did have plenty of time while I was hunting down a suitable dealer to work with. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts