Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was driving my new 2022 Tucson Hybrid from Alaska in the hopes of getting to our new place in Texas.

I was between Mucho Lake and Ft. Nelson in Canada and going down a hill I noticed it seemed like I lost acceleration. I coasted down the hill, and yep, no acceleration.

I noticed the "Check Hybrid System" yellow light was on. Luckily, I was able to coast to being sort of off the road. I looked up in manual and it says to take it to dealership. I was only about an hour into the trip today.

Of course where I broke down had NO cell service. I was able to get a ride to Toad River Lodge and pay for a phone call for towing company. It was about 3 hours away with construction wait times.

Anyway, I paid to have it towed (realize no cell service or reception, so SOS button would not work).

A mechanic in Ft. Nelson hooked up my car to the computer and came up with a bunch of codes he didn't know what to do with. After hours of calling around, I finally figured out to call the Hyundai Consumer Affairs number, which is not open until tomorrow. Part of the issue is the nearest dealer is another 6.5 more hours away. Sorry, I'm starting to vent. I'll stop.

Anyway, does anyone know what is going on? I only have about 4,000 miles on the car and just bought it in early April.

Here are the codes
B104052 LKAS/LDWS missing error - without LAKS/LDWS unit or connector fault
B101052 ESC missing error
B100252 EPB Missing error
B100152 SCC/Cruise Missing error
B100952 4WD missing error - w/out HWD unit or connector fault
B100552 - Airbag missing error - w/out airbag unit connector fault
B100352 - ABS Missing error - w/out ABS unit or connector fault

Thanks! Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
783 Posts
Hi, I was driving my new 2022 Tucson Hybrid from Alaska in the hopes of getting to our new place in Texas.

I was between Mucho Lake and Ft. Nelson in Canada and going down a hill I noticed it seemed like I lost acceleration. I coasted down the hill, and yep, no acceleration.

I noticed the "Check Hybrid System" yellow light was on. Luckily, I was able to coast to being sort of off the road. I looked up in manual and it says to take it to dealership. I was only about an hour into the trip today.

Of course where I broke down had NO cell service. I was able to get a ride to Toad River Lodge and pay for a phone call for towing company. It was about 3 hours away with construction wait times.

Anyway, I paid to have it towed (realize no cell service or reception, so SOS button would not work).

A mechanic in Ft. Nelson hooked up my car to the computer and came up with a bunch of codes he didn't know what to do with. After hours of calling around, I finally figured out to call the Hyundai Consumer Affairs number, which is not open until tomorrow. Part of the issue is the nearest dealer is another 6.5 more hours away. Sorry, I'm starting to vent. I'll stop.

Anyway, does anyone know what is going on? I only have about 4,000 miles on the car and just bought it in early April.

Here are the codes

I think you have a good cause to vent! Wow.

Others have had the same issue look around for threads on it. However you may have a little more than most I don't remember most being able to retrieve codes.

·
Registered
Hybrid Limited
169 Posts

Here are the codes

Have you or mechanic tried to use "Reset battery" button (panel to the left of the steering wheel)?

·
Registered
335 Posts

Here are the codes

Just curious, was the mechanic at a Hyundai dealer? A very new tech SUV like the Tucson would probably need a dealer mechanic to look at to diagnose those codes. I understand if there probably no dealer close to your location.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just curious, was the mechanic at a Hyundai dealer? A very new tech SUV like the Tucson would probably need a dealer mechanic to look at to diagnose those codes. I understand if there probably no dealer close to your location.

He was not a Hyundai mechanic. The closest dealership is 6.5 hours away.

I'm currently on hold with Consumer Assistance, trying to figure out what they can do for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Updated: Okay, I've never heard such BS.

The US Hyundai Consumer Affairs says since I broke down in Canada, the incident has to go to a National case file. It will take minimum of 3-5 days to just ASSIGN someone to manage the file. Meanwhile, if I payout of pocket to have car towed to nearest dealership, it's $3,000 Canadian. And I don't even know if I'll get reimbursed for that since there is no one assigned to my case I can talk to.

Canadian Hyundai Consumer Affairs wants to work with me, but they need US division to release the VIN number info to them since they don't have access to US VIN database. US version will not release anything until a case worker is assigned.

Meanwhile, I'm stuck in a hotel at Ft. Nelson calling a ton of people and getting the run around. This is so exhausting.

My next call is the dealership in Anchorage, AK where I bought it from, which is a minimum of 24 hour drive away!

·
Registered
Limited PHEV, Quartz White with grey interior
304 Posts
Updated: Okay, I've never heard such BS.

The US Hyundai Consumer Affairs says since I broke down in Canada, the incident has to go to a National case file. It will take minimum of 3-5 days to just ASSIGN someone to manage the file. Meanwhile, if I payout of pocket to have car towed to nearest dealership, it's $3,000 Canadian. And I don't even know if I'll get reimbursed for that since there is no one assigned to my case I can talk to.

Canadian Hyundai Consumer Affairs wants to work with me, but they need US division to release the VIN number info to them since they don't have access to US VIN database. US version will not release anything until a case worker is assigned.

Meanwhile, I'm stuck in a hotel at Ft. Nelson calling a ton of people and getting the run around. This is so exhausting.

My next call is the dealership in Anchorage, AK where I bought it from, which is a minimum of 24 hour drive away!
Does the Canadian CA group need anything more than just the VIN? If not, it's on the dashboard just behind the windshield in front of the driver. If additional information is needed, the dealer might have it in their records or via access to the Hyundai USA database.

Another thought would be to set up a conference call with the dealer and the Canadian CA group. The dealer might have experience with cars they sold having problems in the Canadian boondocks. There usually is an "Add Call" or similar function on most cell phones.

·
Registered
304 Posts
FYI.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Same thing happened to a new car still on the lot with only 12 miles. I posted to the (old) thread to see if anybody could provide any information for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does the Canadian CA group need anything more than just the VIN? If not, it's on the dashboard just behind the windshield in front of the driver. If additional information is needed, the dealer might have it in their records or via access to the Hyundai USA database.

Another thought would be to set up a conference call with the dealer and the Canadian CA group. The dealer might have experience with cars they sold having problems in the Canadian boondocks. There usually is an "Add Call" or similar function on most cell phones.
I have the actual VIN number. The issue is they need permission to the info associated with the VIN number. Evidently, VIN numbers are not international. To service the vehicle and I assume to verify which batch or whatever it came from, they need info associated with the number. I guess US has to work with them to get the info.

What's interesting is when a Canadian citizen's Hyundai breaks down in the US, the Canadian version cooperates right away with US Hyundai. Evidently, US version does not do the same with Canada.

However, I talked to the dealership I bought it from in Alaska. The guy mentioned that even the codes are different. So if a Canadian computer is hooked up to it, the codes are not the same as in the US.

I'm currently trying to work with the dealership I bought it from to fix/expedite the issue. I'm about 24 hours driving from Anchorage and 19 hours to Montana dealership, if it needs to get to US to fix.

It's amazing what a mess this is. Meanwhile, my car has 2,600 miles and I'm stuck with a small UHaul trailer full of items to drive to Texas and no idea how to deal with all this.

·
Registered
304 Posts
.........With the implementation of OBD-II, a standard DTC list that contains codes that are common to all manufacturers was created by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE).
Though OBD-II is widely used, it is important to note that manufacturer-specific DTCs still exist. Manufacturers may create their own DTCs to supplement the list of universal codes if the vehicle requires it, but more often than not these manufacturer-specific codes are difficult to interpret without a mechanic.

The second character being a '1' shows that these are Hyundai-specific DTCs, but should be the same worldwide. The third character being a '0', along with the text of the error messages, may indicate that there was a communications glitch between these subsystems and the main Electronic Control Unit (ECU). Have you tried starting or driving the car?

Off the wall thoughts. If the error clears and the car appears to be driveable, is there anyplace where you are that you could rent or borrow a satphone and then risk driving to the town with the Hyundai dealer? What is the longest gap between towns? Provided there isn't a delay in benefits becoming effective, could you sign up for CAA?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
.........With the implementation of OBD-II, a standard DTC list that contains codes that are common to all manufacturers was created by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE).
Though OBD-II is widely used, it is important to note that manufacturer-specific DTCs still exist. Manufacturers may create their own DTCs to supplement the list of universal codes if the vehicle requires it, but more often than not these manufacturer-specific codes are difficult to interpret without a mechanic.

The second character being a '1' shows that these are Hyundai-specific DTCs, but should be the same worldwide. The third character being a '0', along with the text of the error messages, may indicate that there was a communications glitch between these subsystems and the main Electronic Control Unit (ECU). Have you tried starting or driving the car?

Off the wall thoughts. If the error clears and the car appears to be driveable, is there anyplace where you are that you could rent or borrow a satphone and then risk driving to the town with the Hyundai dealer? What is the longest gap between towns? Provided there isn't a delay in benefits becoming effective, could you sign up for CAA?
Thanks for the info.

I've tried restarting the car, get the same errors and car will not accelerate.

I have not tried to to the re-set with the key fob. It can reset the system if I hold the start button with the end of the keyfob and hold it for a few seconds. At this point, I'm afraid if I do that, I might make it worse. IDK

I'm waiting to hear from the Anchorage, AK dealership person who can make things happen.

It's about an hour between each town/lodge. But many are now ghost towns. Satphone might be an idea if I could ge tit running.

I appreciate you trying to help. It's just crazy Hyundai isn't willing to stand behind this purchase.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update to Update - Well, no one can help me but Hyundai US National Care. What sucks is there is a 3-5 day lag until a case manager is assigned. No way around it. So, we are stuck here paying for hotel rooms night after night while we wait for Hyundai to even consider fixing the issue.

I hope you all have better luck than me.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Update to Update - Well, no one can help me but Hyundai US National Care. What sucks is there is a 3-5 day lag until a case manager is assigned. No way around it. So, we are stuck here paying for hotel rooms night after night while we wait for Hyundai to even consider fixing the issue.

I hope you all have better luck than me.
You may or may not have considered renting another car to finish your trip. Any possibility that the US dealer ( or Hyundai Customer Sevice ) can authorize a tow to nearest CN dealer to be handled by Hyundai once they get done playing with themselves. May also contact an attorney about an Lemon Laws in you state. I know alll this sounds easy, but your stuck in the middle of it can’t be easy to swallow.
My best wishes to you both.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Wish I had something to contribute but I really don't. I don't get that you bought from a U.S. dealership and U.S. Hyundai won't immediately help. If maybe you were in a third world Country where they had little resources to help ok, but the whole thing does stink. Wish you alot of luck in getting a breakthrough.
Keep the updates coming!

·
Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
492 Posts
You may or may not have considered renting another car to finish your trip. Any possibility that the US dealer ( or Hyundai Customer Sevice ) can authorize a tow to nearest CN dealer to be handled by Hyundai once they get done playing with themselves. May also contact an attorney about an Lemon Laws in you state. I know alll this sounds easy, but your stuck in the middle of it can’t be easy to swallow.
My best wishes to you both.
I'm pretty sure the U.S. warranty covers trip interruption insurance. This is in the text of my warranty. "Trip Interruption benefit: In the event a warranty-covered mechanical disablement occurs more than 150 miles away from home, and your vehicle is disabled overnight due to a repair in process, Hyundai Roadside Assistance will reimburse for reasonable expenses for meals, lodging, or alternate transportation. Trip Interruption benefit is limited to $100 per day, subject to a three-day maximum limit per incident." I don't know if it is in the Canadian warranty.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm pretty sure the U.S. warranty covers trip interruption insurance. This is in the text of my warranty. "Trip Interruption benefit: In the event a warranty-covered mechanical disablement occurs more than 150 miles away from home, and your vehicle is disabled overnight due to a repair in process, Hyundai Roadside Assistance will reimburse for reasonable expenses for meals, lodging, or alternate transportation. Trip Interruption benefit is limited to $100 per day, subject to a three-day maximum limit per incident." I don't know if it is in the Canadian warranty.
Great catch! She purchased the car in Alaska, which is (barely) in the U.S., and was passing through Canada on the way to Texas. Unless there is an out-of-country exclusion I would think that the Trip Interruption Benefit would apply.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Great catch! She purchased the car in Alaska, which is (barely) in the U.S., and was passing through Canada on the way to Texas. Unless there is an out-of-country exclusion I would think that the Trip Interruption Benefit would apply.
This is why I posted I don't understand Hyundai (USA) isn't giving immediate help. Does that warranty only fully apply if you are in the U.S.? (If I took the time to read the whole warranty maybe it tells you...)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts