Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Limited has storage on the sides by your feet of the center console. (Not the arm rest where the shifter is etc, see pic)
The SEL has cutouts there with a cover integrated over them.

My question is has anyone looked to see if those covers pop off or if taken off you could use that space?

· Registered
345 Posts
I had wondered the same, and had given one panel a tug during installation of the floor mats. But it did not 'give way' comfortably enough and felt rather 'permanently adhered' to the console for me to want to dial up the aggression.

I just went out and checked, and recalled at the time the phone charging shelf actually appearing deeper than the top edge of the black panel covering the 'opening'. So I thought that shelf interfered and eliminated having a usable side cubby. But it turns out the center shelf measures right at the same point as the top edge of that side panel.
However, without seeing the Limited version and the compartment's shape and attachment design to the console itself, , I'd have to say it's a no-go. And top of all that, there's the part about finding those little compartments and probably having to remove the whole center console to install everything:
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Looking at your pic I recall the Limited's larger center screen, and wonder if calls for a corresponding overall wider console. If so, then it both permitted and compelled designers to invent some little bespoke feature to use up the added room.

· Registered
6 Posts
I had wondered the same, and had given one panel a tug during installation of the floor mats. But it did not 'give way' comfortably enough and felt rather 'permanently adhered' to the console for me to want to dial up the aggression.
i thought the same, but i believe there is actually part of the linkage for the shifter. the Limited is electronic push-button, so there is no real connection. with the non-push button models, there is a mechanical connection that runs through there. at best you might be able to get a slim pocket, i would guess not much more than an average wallet thickness worth of space.

· Registered
345 Posts
Ah soooo. Valid conjecture, and would seem all that's left is snagging the attentention of a Limited (?'Preferred' up north?) owner to measure the width of their console right at that screen to see whether a big delta v. our lowly trims. I still say the little recessed cubbies themselves harder than hen's teeth to find/source.

· Registered
'22 Tucson HEV SEL Convenience
36 Posts
The Hybrid SEL-C has the same luxurious looking storage cubbies as the Limited (due to the push button shifter). The storage is skinny all throughout. It starts very shallow in the back and gets marginally deeper toward the front. A folded (not rolled) small-town newspaper might fit in it depending on how much gossip Edna and Lois are engaging in that week. I found trying to fit a small umbrella in it too much a hassle.

In the year I've driven my Tucson, I've used it for storage once. It conveniently fits the I-Pass transponder for driving on Chicago's immaculately maintained toll-roads, but they prefer that be mounted to your windshield.

The best I use I see for these is as a design feature and ambient lighting.

TL;DR I don't think pursuing this much farther will give you a good return for your invaluable time and effort.

· Registered
2023 Tucson Limited ICE Calypso Red
15 Posts
I have the limited and measure 10-1/2" under the monitor. I put my sunglasses in the side pocket.
(Storage area is not stock. Since the storage area can get cluttered, I added the shelf with felt covering to get a second 'level'.)
Hood Audio equipment Vehicle audio Auto part Gear shift

· Registered
345 Posts
Tkx for the measure, and on top of the added shelf it provides a trim finish to whatever's dumped in underneath. For reference I checked, and the 'non big screen' model console measures the same 10 1/2". You mentioned sunglasses, and this'll be the next surprise treat for the wife's ride:

· Registered
2022 Ultimate HEV
233 Posts
Tkx for the measure, and on top of the added shelf it provides a trim finish to whatever's dumped in underneath. For reference I checked, and the 'non big screen' model console measures the same 10 1/2". You mentioned sunglasses, and this'll be the next surprise treat for the wife's ride:
[/URL]
Been there done that

· Registered
46 Posts
The Limited has storage on the sides by your feet of the center console. (Not the arm rest where the shifter is etc, see pic)
The SEL has cutouts there with a cover integrated over them.

My question is has anyone looked to see if those covers pop off or if taken off you could use that space?

It took me a while to realize that area wasn't storage as I kept thinking it was an opening, a weird illusion and then the frustrating realization that there is VERY limited storage space in this cabin. Option to charge your phone or rest your glasses there, Option to use one cup holder for glasses...so maddening. Center console doesn't open up far enough, my elbow hits it and I can barely get in!!!!!

· Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Storage to me is a little limited, yes. I don't want to do what I say others do, if you add up what everyone says the car "should" have you can add XXX dollars to the cost.

I don't have a problem with the lid so much, but not having a tray was nuts so I bought one as so many others did and that added a good amount of storage space. Some have put a sunglass holder where the driver pull bar is. Even a small space like the limited has by your feet would be helpful.

I also have those small hooks that go onto the front headrests facing to the rear, they come on and off in seconds. I use them for any trips to hang a bag for garbage, or to hold some items. The door pockets do handle a bottles of water etc plus a couple of items.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts