Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
2023 Tuscon SEL
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned this on other posts: there are a number of little things that Hyundai has provided that I've noticed... things to be thankful for. One of them is the sheer number of upgrades that come with the SEL package. Just barely above the SE (entry level) model of this car, the SEL adds a couple bucks but a lot of features, one of them being the electric lift gate: a nice touch.

I just finished mounting my trailer hitch, and was certainly appreciating the plug Hyundai provides near the bumper for this. Every Hyundai, I'm told, comes prewired for a trailer hitch: this saved me a lot of time. Add to that another nice touch: the Tucson has pre-drilled holes and threaded nuts already in place to mount a trailer hitch. No drilling needed. Amazing.

Then today it had just gotten dark, and I reached up to try to find the button that closes the automatic lift gate. And there it was, all lit up. I didn't realize it was lighted. Again: nice touch, Hyundai. The other day I was looking around the engine bay. Have you seen the air filter housing? I can pull the air filter in less than 5 seconds. What an ingenious design--I've never seen this on ANY vehicle before.

I've got a feeling that I'm not the only one: what little things have you all noticed?

· Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
1,357 Posts
(Sel, Conv/Premium)

Comfort and room of the back seats. That they recline just right our guests have mentioned a few times.

Three positions of the sunroof. First position up, adjustable, second position nearly open prevents the buffering noise if all windows are up. Then all open.

You can store the cargo shade/shield underneath the cargo floor in it's slot out of the way if needed
And ability to raise or lower the floor, and of course store some stuff under there.

The handles to lower the rear seats are easy reach at the cargo opening door. Then the seats can be pushed down to lock them flat.

Just a nice touch, the rear seatbelts can be stored into a little holder on the door well.

One touch and hold can bring the heating seat or cooling setting to off instead of pushing several times.

You can maintain using the auto climate control (Best I have had) but still change the speed of the fan either low, med, or high.

The visor lights go off by just putting the visor back up.

· Registered
2023 Tuscon SEL
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
--In Florida, rear wipers don't last long, as they are ALWAYS directly in the sun. But not on the new Tucson. Another nice touch.
--The rear wheel-wells are designed with an interesting rough outer surface: appears to be some sort of sound proofing. Perhaps that's another one of the reasons that the Tucson is quieter inside than the Rav4, CX5 or the CRV.
--Tow rating is 2000 lbs. with my 2.5 base model engine. The Rav4 and CRV are only rated for 1500.

· Registered
2023 Tuscon SEL
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
No goofy button to push to open the gas filler door. Finally !!! Was thinking about that when I filled the tank for the first time today.

Tonight I used the remote (for the first time) to unlock the car as I was approaching it. As soon as I did, little lights came on inside the front door handles so I could find them. YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME !!! I had no idea the Hyundai had all this cool stuff.

Isn't it interesting that this car has so many little things that Hyundai built into it that make it just a cut above? I've never owned a vehicle like this: feeling blessed indeed.

· Registered
2023 Tuscon SEL
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And better for going through car washes. Looks better. I'm guessing less chance of getting frozen.
Another little thing, though not unique to the Tucson only, is the roof-top antennae. Our older CRV has an 8 inch antennae sticking up that gets caught on everything it seems. My new Tucson? Just a little clam shell up there. Not sure if it affects reception as compared to the 8" long antennae mast, but at least it won't be getting beat up at the car wash.

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Another little thing, though not unique to the Tucson only, is the roof-top antennae. Our older CRV has an 8 inch antennae sticking up that gets caught on everything it seems. My new Tucson? Just a little clam shell up there. Not sure if it affects reception as compared to the 8" long antennae mast, but at least it won't be getting beat up at the car wash.
There was a time when the "shark" antenna like the Tucson has did result in a downgraded AM signal. FM not much difference. It seems to have improved, I get a little better AM reception, and maybe a little better FM on my older vehicles with the rubber antennas, but not a night and day difference.

In the Tampa area I can get 870 WWL New Orleans during the day most days with the Tucson one of the tests I do to see how good reception is. Better on my MX5 but again not that much better. I can get 600 AM WBOB Jacksonville during the day.

· Registered
2023 Tucson SEL AWD White
75 Posts
I mentioned this on other posts: there are a number of little things that Hyundai has provided that I've noticed... things to be thankful for. One of them is the sheer number of upgrades that come with the SEL package. Just barely above the SE (entry level) model of this car, the SEL adds a couple bucks but a lot of features, one of them being the electric lift gate: a nice touch.

I just finished mounting my trailer hitch, and was certainly appreciating the plug Hyundai provides near the bumper for this. Every Hyundai, I'm told, comes prewired for a trailer hitch: this saved me a lot of time. Add to that another nice touch: the Tucson has pre-drilled holes and threaded nuts already in place to mount a trailer hitch. No drilling needed. Amazing.

Then today it had just gotten dark, and I reached up to try to find the button that closes the automatic lift gate. And there it was, all lit up. I didn't realize it was lighted. Again: nice touch, Hyundai. The other day I was looking around the engine bay. Have you seen the air filter housing? I can pull the air filter in less than 5 seconds. What an ingenious design--I've never seen this on ANY vehicle before.

I've got a feeling that I'm not the only one: what little things have you all noticed?
In almost every aspect, my girlfriends 2023 Tucson SEL is far superior to the 2020 Rav4 XLE she had, to the point where I laugh at people who talk about "Toyota's greatness". lol

· Registered
2023 Tuscon SEL
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I had... what was then reputed to be the most reliable car on the planet... a Toyota Camry hybrid. At 6 years old, my entire dashboard and my steering wheel began to melt. Felt like sticky "fly-paper" on a hot summer day. I paid out 1300 bucks to have it replaced when I learned that the internet was blowing up with others dealing with this. Thankfully, Toyo issued a recall and subsequently reimbursed me. Then a couple years later, the battery pack puked and my daughter, who'd bought the car from me, was faced with a Toyota dealership's 5500 dollar bill to fix it. So much for Toyota reliability.

· Registered
1,357 Posts
I had what was then reputed to be the most reliable car on the planet... a Toyota Camry hybrid. At 6 years old, my entire dashboard and my steering wheel began to melt. Felt like sticky "fly-paper" on a hot summer day. I paid out 1300 bucks to have it replaced when I learned that the internet was blowing up with others dealing with this. Thankfully, Toyo issued a recall and subsequently reimbursed me. Then a couple years later, the battery pack puked and my daughter, who'd bought the car from me, was faced with a Toyota dealership's 5500 dollar bill to fix it. So much for Toyota reliability.
You can look up most any car and find some years of recalls and/or serious problems. But people should look over the years of Tucsons as I did, and the number of cars affected in recalls is less than many out there. And Hyundai/Kia get good reviews by owners. Particularly and importantly with longer ownership.

Tucson in this article one of least problem cars in the current model year.
Most and least reliable cars REVEALED | This is Money

Hyundai TUCSON Named Best Family Car by BBC Top Gear Out of 50 Contenders

Here's a direct honest review of Tucsons through the years good and bad.
"According to the RepairPal website, the average annual cost of maintaining a Hyundai Tucson is $426, about 95 bucks lower than the compact SUV class average of $521. Also, the possibility of a repair being a severe problem for a Hyundai Tucson is 10%, while the compact SUV average stands at 11%."
Here's Everything You Need To Know Before Buying A Used Hyundai Tucson (hotcars.com)

Slope Parallel Font Electric blue Diagram

· Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Limited
35 Posts

I have never found the button to close the liftgate from inside, except for the one on the liftgate itself! Am I missing something? I have a 2022 Tucson limited, but,.......can't seem to close the liftgate from, say, the drivers seat. Can you help? Thanks!

· Registered
2022 Tucson PHEV Limited
20 Posts
I have never found the button to close the liftgate from inside, except for the one on the liftgate itself! Am I missing something? I have a 2022 Tucson limited, but,.......can't seem to close the liftgate from, say, the drivers seat. Can you help? Thanks!
In my 2022 Limited it's a button on the dashboard, left of the steering wheel. You long-press to open the liftgate, and you have to press and hold it to close.

· Registered
9 Posts
We have 2022 LtD also.

There is a liftgate button, just left of steering column, to operate liftgate. "Hold" to open, or "hold" to close.

· Registered
2023 Tucson SEL AWD White
75 Posts
You can look up most any car and find some years of recalls and/or serious problems. But people should look over the years of Tucsons as I did, and the number of cars affected in recalls is less than many out there. And Hyundai/Kia get good reviews by owners. Particularly and importantly with longer ownership.

Tucson in this article one of least problem cars in the current model year.
Most and least reliable cars REVEALED | This is Money

Hyundai TUCSON Named Best Family Car by BBC Top Gear Out of 50 Contenders

Here's a direct honest review of Tucsons through the years good and bad.
"According to the RepairPal website, the average annual cost of maintaining a Hyundai Tucson is $426, about 95 bucks lower than the compact SUV class average of $521. Also, the possibility of a repair being a severe problem for a Hyundai Tucson is 10%, while the compact SUV average stands at 11%."
Here's Everything You Need To Know Before Buying A Used Hyundai Tucson (hotcars.com)

View attachment 2529
I'm a little surprised to see Honda and Acura so low on that list.

· Registered
1,357 Posts
I'm a little surprised to see Honda and Acura so low on that list.
Acura has a history of nagging issues, I don't know if there are big ones but one big one is customer service. Customers expect more from an upscale brand. An area Honda does better on. I think the big difference is longer term owning to in the first year or so.
I know we see complaints here about Hyundai dealer service (and most very legit) but overall longer time owners give them pretty good ratings. At least good for being a dealer service....

· Registered
2023 Tuscon SEL
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I've only had the car less than 2 weeks. I didn't know there was a lift-gate button on the dash. The button I was referring to is on the lift-gate itself. I was impressed because it was dark when I reached up to try to find it so I could close it. I was certainly surprised to see that it was back-lit, and therefore easy to find.

Now I gotta go outside and look around the dashboard to see if I can find a lift-gate button...

On another note, I was at Chick-Fil-A this morning yacking with some buddies. I was staring at all the SUVs coming through the drive-thru line while listening to the stories being told. I wasn't really thinking about the long line of SUVs that I was seeing, if that makes sense. All of a sudden, one grey SUV caught my eye. "Hey, that's a sharp looking car," I thought. So I focused my eyes a bit, sat up and looked a little more closely at it to figure out what it was. I chuckled to myself...NO WONDER: IT'S A NEW TUCSON...
I didn't say anything as I didn't want to interrupt the conversation, but I'll bet you guys know what I mean. So that brings me to another "little thing" I've noticed. It just doesn't look like other SUVs. Ya gotta admit, it certainly catches the eye.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts