Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum and joined just recently. I put in a deposit for a 2023 Tucson Ultimate and was looking forward to getting it hopefully in 2023. But I'm starting to have concerns about the 1.6L Turbo engine, I'm not very knowledgeable about cars, but based on what I've read about turbo engines, even though they are usually smaller, be able to provide more power/acceleration when needed and more efficient, they come with a lot more parts, and that means concerns for long term reliability, more frequent maintenance, more repair cost due to complexity, and overall more cost to service and likely to breakdown than naturally aspired engines? (also read on this forum about a pinging sound with low mileage, which doesn't help with my concerns)

If this was Honda or Toyota, I might have less of a concern? because they are known for their reliability, like CRV with their turbo engines? I know Hyundai has had major engine problems in the past, which puts me even more concerned on these turbo engines.

My hope for this vehicle is to last me a long time, at least 15 years with over 200kms with limited amount of money spent on fixing the vehicle, other than regular maintenance. Perhaps I shouldn't purchase this vehicle if I am looking for long term reliability? I test drove some cars, and this one was the most fun and comfortable to drive, and really love all the features it comes with.

I'm looking for some perspectives, and perhaps someone who is very knowledgeable about turbo engines can put my worry to rest.

Thank you for any comments.

· Registered
Ultimate hybrid, Amazon Grey
177 Posts
No knowledge here to answer directly but I know my son had a couple of Hyundai cars long before I would have considered one. He put on like 300 k km and was very happy, but I don't know what engine they had.

· Registered
2022 Ultimate HEV
221 Posts
Korean auto brands Kia, Genesis and Hyundai earn three of the top four rankings in the newly redesigned J.D. Power 2022 U.S. Vehicle Dependability StudySM (VDS), released today. Buick and Toyota also make the list of the brands with the fewest reported problems after three years of ownership.

· Registered
53 Posts
I was a Honda owner for years and never had major issues. More recently, a friend who was a loyal Honda customer had repeated engine issues with multiple new cars off the lot. The Korean company that carries Kia/Genesis/Hyundai on the other hand has seen quality improvements. I think they used to carry a much better warranty to get people over the concerns of buying Korean, but now Korean cars have developed a much stronger reputation. When I polled my community for recs for a family vehicle Kia responses where overwhelming. I had a terrible dealership experience at Kia and I get a corporate discount on Hyundai’s plus the lineup of electric vehicles was hard to beat. I have stayed away from Turbo engines in the past as well, And TBH, I feel like I’m taking a gamble on PHEVs in general. Not been around long enough to provide reasonable metric on long term ownership. I figure the PHEV is a stop gap until full electric becomes more affordable but I would rather be stuck with a repair than a full gas engine. There is already a date for phasing out ICE sales in Ontario.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Korean auto brands Kia, Genesis and Hyundai earn three of the top four rankings in the newly redesigned J.D. Power 2022 U.S. Vehicle Dependability StudySM (VDS), released today. Buick and Toyota also make the list of the brands with the fewest reported problems after three years of ownership.

I did see this report from JD Power, but unfortunately this report is for vehicles "after three years of ownership", and I'm more concerned on the longer term, worried about huge costs down the road. Thank you for your input.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks for this, it does appear that turbo engines tend to have more problems, and this is may be the reason they're not on the JD Power list above. I test drove a 2022 CRV Touring (top trim) and it wasn't great either. My brother has a Ford Fusion with a turbo engine and had engine coolant problems.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was a Honda owner for years and never had major issues. More recently, a friend who was a loyal Honda customer had repeated engine issues with multiple new cars off the lot. The Korean company that carries Kia/Genesis/Hyundai on the other hand has seen quality improvements. I think they used to carry a much better warranty to get people over the concerns of buying Korean, but now Korean cars have developed a much stronger reputation. When I polled my community for recs for a family vehicle Kia responses where overwhelming. I had a terrible dealership experience at Kia and I get a corporate discount on Hyundai’s plus the lineup of electric vehicles was hard to beat. I have stayed away from Turbo engines in the past as well, And TBH, I feel like I’m taking a gamble on PHEVs in general. Not been around long enough to provide reasonable metric on long term ownership. I figure the PHEV is a stop gap until full electric becomes more affordable but I would rather be stuck with a repair than a full gas engine. There is already a date for phasing out ICE sales in Ontario.
Perhaps your friend purchased a Honda vehicle with their 1.5 Turbo engine, there seems to be some problems with them. I agree the Korean brands have improved over the last several years. I will be considering the 2023 Sportage PHEV, will assess when more information on the vehicle is out, but they will also be using a Turbo engine. I agree, I feel like I am taking a chance on the Tucson Ultimate PHEV and hoping there won't be any big problems down the road. The decision is tough. Considering RAV4 Prime (PHEV version), but that wait is even longer and some dealerships aren't even taking orders anymore.

· Registered
2022 Ultimate HEV
221 Posts
I did see this report from JD Power, but unfortunately this report is for vehicles "after three years of ownership", and I'm more concerned on the longer term, worried about huge costs down the road. Thank you for your input.
So you think Hyundai reliability will fall off a cliff after 3 years, and Hondas will suddenly have less problems after 3 years...?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So you think Hyundai reliability will fall off a cliff after 3 years, and Hondas will suddenly have less problems after 3 years...?
No I do not think that, but I do have a concern in the longer term like 8+ years for Hyundai. I am not considering Honda's CRV as I didn't like how it drove when I test drove it previously. But overall car brand reliability, imo I think Honda is more reliable, like if I have to guess which brand's vehicle will last me 15+ years and 200k-250k km, i would guess Honda. Things can be different now, but Honda does have a better reputation for reliability.

· Registered
Montreal, QC
413 Posts
I think we're in a new era of electricity combine with ICE. Everyone is racing out to supply new product while before with the ICE cars, you knew which ones were more reliable.
Today you have new manufacturers coming into play cause it's EV. This is like when the flat screens came out, Sony had the best tube tv along with Panasonic. Then Pioneer had the best flat plasma tv, then Pioneer closed shop and it was Panasonic Plasma, now it s the OLED LG. So this is a game changer.
I think the old car manufacturers will have an edge on new comers due to they have Dealers and Distribution and plus deep pockets.

· Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
815 Posts
No I do not think that, but I do have a concern in the longer term like 8+ years for Hyundai. I am not considering Honda's CRV as I didn't like how it drove when I test drove it previously. But overall car brand reliability, imo I think Honda is more reliable, like if I have to guess which brand's vehicle will last me 15+ years and 200k-250k km, i would guess Honda. Things can be different now, but Honda does have a better reputation for reliability.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts