Hyundai Tucson Forum banner

Odometer reading problem?

8K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  BK 22 
#1 ·
Got a monthly update from Bluelink and they listed my odometer mileage at 7128. The problem is my odometer reading is only a little over 4000 miles. I called Bluelink and they didn't have an answer for me. The person on the phone said she might be able to fix it but I would have to give her some numbers off the car. I told her I wanted an explanation for the difference before I would allow any changes. Anybody have a similar experience? Could it be possible that the dealer tried to roll back the mileage before they sold me the car? I have a a case number started with Hyundai to get an explanation.

#3 ·
My bluelink dashboard displays the same error. I have a little over 7000 miles on my odometer but bluelink says 11,258. It's obviously a problem with the website. The odometer field seems to be displaying km rather than miles.
I'm in Canada and on my Bluelink "Home" screen, it reads "ODO : 2,992 km" which is accurate. In fact, it reads "0" at launch until after a short delay (presumably, while it communicates with the vehicle), the actual reading shows up. If it was reporting km instead of miles, wouldn't you also see "km" beside the numeric value (as shown in mine)?

#4 ·
The problem isn't that km are displayed incorrectly. The problem is that miles are displayed in units of km. For US customers, the default display, of course, should be miles. Hyundai's website doesn't append units to the odometer field so we US customers assume the display is in miles. It's an obvious error on Hyundai's part. They'll get it fixed soon no doubt.

#5 ·
AFAIK, this has nothing to do with Hyundai’s website - it’s entirely the Bluelink app. That’s why I posted in bold, character for character what the Bluelink app shows for me. It’d be very odd for that same app showing the units (with letters “km”) for Canadians yet not showing them (letters “mi”, say) in the USA for anyone whose profile is configured for values in miles. Or if indeed it is showing kms mistakenly, that it wouldn’t tag it with “km”.

#8 ·
To clarify, it was an email from Bluelink and it was just a number, no km. or mi. Just did the calculation converting Km. to mi. It seems to check out. Thanks for pointing that out to me Jay. I just wanted to get the discrepancy documented.

#9 ·
Just got this from Hyundai:

"Thank you for contacting Hyundai Customer Care.

Based on the nature of your inquiry, we recommend calling our Bluelink Team at your earliest convenience so they may assist you with your mileage discrepancy. Hyundai cannot discuss the matter via email.

Please note: the mileage marked in your Bluelink account in no way supersedes the mileage shown in your vehicle. All warranty and leasing concerns will use the mileage shown in your vehicle and no other record or estimate.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and look forward to hearing from you so we may properly assist. When contacting us please reference case number xxxx."

Glad I got this documented. I called Bluelink and they told me they MIGHT be able to fix it remotely if I was in the car (my wife had the car at work) but if not iI might have to bring it to the dealer. I am just going to leave it as is.

#11 ·
I don't have the app on my phone. Not interested in any of that stuff. I receive emails because they signed me up for the free 3 year Blue Link plan at the dealership. Don't know if I had the option to opt out, if they asked me I would have refused it. In the monthly "vehicle health report" email it gives me the odometer reading, but it doesn't specify if it is mi. or km. Just a bare number.

#12 ·
I got a customer service reply to my ticket saying to call bluelink. How I hate that! The wait times are really long and they give no option to leave a call back number. It ain't gonna happen. I'm not calling and hanging on the line for 20 minutes to repeat what I clearly said in my email.

Mungo, you can opt out of bluelink and its not a bad idea to do so. Bluelink is a data mining operation for Hyundai disguised as a "service" to customers. Read through Hyundai's Privacy Policy:

and look at all the data they're collecting via bluelink! It's pretty Orwellian. Hyundai sells this info to anyone that waves money at them and gives it to any govt. agency that wants it. The only way to opt out is to formally decline the bluelilnk service as outlined in the privacy policy.

#17 ·
Actually, I was quite upset when, at the time of purchase, while I still was in process of signing all paperwork at the dealership, I got an email from Hyundai, congratulating me on signing up ( which I didn't) for Bluelink service . It was a dealer initiative ( he told me this is what they do for each customer as soon as they are in process of purchasing), without even informing me or getting my consent. In any case, I read Bluelink "Terms and conditions" ( and you can read it here as well - Connected Services Agreement Terms and Conditions ), if you have not read yet, and look especially at the statement in paragraph 10 - "Privacy", bullet C:"YOU ON BEHALF OF YOU AND OCCUPANTS IN YOUR VEHICLE ALSO CONSENT TO THE COLLECTION, RECORDING AND USE OF THE INFORMATION DESCRIBED IN THIS AGREEMENT AND RELEASE HYUNDAI FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL CLAIMS OR LIABILITIES ARISING OUT OF THE COLLECTION AND USE OF THIS INFORMATION ". So, after I read that ( "consent on behalf of occupants in my vehicle") - I called Hyundai Bluelink service center and cancelled their 3 years complimentary service right away. This is, of course, my decision and everyone makes their own.

#14 ·
Got our Tucson at the end of May 2021. The BlueLink reports started kicking in maybe in July, (around 6 weeks after purchase, as I recall) and were initially accurate. That stopped some time in October, not sure exactly when, but there has been a growing discrepancy between the actual odometer reading and the BlueLink reading. The numbers are increasing, but there doesn't appear to be any linear relationship between actual mileage and BlueLink mielage. On December 3rd, I had to take my car in for a service (windshield washer motor/pump failed and had to be replaced, and the recorded mileage was 5070 miles, whereas 8 hours later, BlueLink was telling me I'd done 8300 miles (which would equate to having travelled at around 400 mph and would've also resulted in phenomenal gas mileage). This isn't a simple miles to km "conversion" thing. The annoying thing is that it appears the BlueLink mileage triggers me to get numerous emails telling me to get my vehicle serviced urgently. I've attempted to contact Hyundai several times and was told BlueLink would be contacting me within a few business days, but they've failed to live up to that on each occasion. At this point, BlueLink seems pretty worthless, which given it was thrown in free for a period of time, I suppose it technically is, but they are not doing a good job at persuading folks to subscribe at whatever the fee will be once the trial is over.

#21 ·
I guess unlike some others I get great use from Bluelink. I don't know if I will pay after the 3 years or not. (There is a rumor Hyundai will drop the charge or reduce it anyway) but I have used the Valet Parking while leaving it for service, and the location of the vehicle to be sure it was still there. Also used the location on our trip to Miami when I had no choice but to park in a parking garage out of site for two days. I also set up a geofence.
Of course I would also get an alarm warning texted and emailed.

I like the warning if door is unlocked, if the alarm sounds etc etc...

BTW I had a small banner on the very top of the page in the black area saying they are aware of a problem with some vehicle information.....It's gone now.

#23 ·
Got a monthly update from Bluelink and they listed my odometer mileage at 7128. The problem is my odometer reading is only a little over 4000 miles. I called Bluelink and they didn't have an answer for me. The person on the phone said she might be able to fix it but I would have to give her some numbers off the car. I told her I wanted an explanation for the difference before I would allow any changes. Anybody have a similar experience? Could it be possible that the dealer tried to roll back the mileage before they sold me the car? I have a a case number started with Hyundai to get an explanation.
[/QUOT
Might double check that the VIN matches what’s on the bluelink app. Might have been accidentally switched.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.